Proto Germanic / Germanic Languages Similarities

Tiffany   Friday, March 11, 2005, 21:16 GMT
Lord, all this tension. How can you even tell he doesn't study Germanic languages?
Sander   Friday, March 11, 2005, 21:39 GMT
Ive asked this question myself many times...
I think "Jo" is just jealous...
Tiffany   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 00:47 GMT
Jealous of what?
Sander   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 12:02 GMT
I think about the fact that I study Germanic and he doesn't,also I think that I (being Dutch) agitate him....
Jo   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 13:44 GMT
Why would anyone be jealous of someone being Dutch?
Sander   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 16:25 GMT
=>Why would anyone be jealous of someone being Dutch?<=

Read the sentence again...
Herr Beuer   Saturday, March 12, 2005, 22:42 GMT
Tggg ,

I have the feeling you Dutch think you're superior to other nationalities ...
Sander   Sunday, March 13, 2005, 09:01 GMT
That depends...Herr Beuer...

If your from the country I think you are,then you have that problem yourself...
The Swedish boy   Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 10:19 GMT
Isn´t it the truth that you can se that the languages are related to each other with help of the bodyparts?
For exampel: Swedish-English

Hand-Hand
Finger-Finger
Nagel-Nail
tumme-thumb
arm-arm
hår-hair
skalle-skull
huvud-head
läpp-lip
mun-mouth
tunga-tongue
knä-kne
fot-foot
häl-heel
tå-toe
skinn-skin etc.
I know that the english language has some words who has Scandinavian orign and what I want to say to the englishspeakers is that you are welcome to take more words from us becouse it makes easier for us to learn English. Don´t take words from the french becouse anyone know how the wodrs spells when they hear the words.

Have a nice week!
Paul Biedermann   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 03:42 GMT
Imagine what would have happened if William the Conqueror have been defeated in Hastings? We would be speaking some sort of german by now
Travis   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 03:45 GMT
Nah, probably something closer to Frisian, Low Saxon, Dutch, and Danish, than the standard Hochdeutsch that most non-Germans think of as German per se, and which forms the basis of written German today (think Duden).
Brennus   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 07:41 GMT
The Swedish Boy:

Body parts do seem to be a favorite group of words linguists like to use to compare languages. Greenberg even uses them for North & South American Indian languages. I also heard that one of the indicators linguists found that Thai and Vietnamese wre not related to Chinese was in their words for "eye" which are related to the Malayan, Indonesian and Samoan words instead.

Paul & Travis:

On a certain level of analysis, I think you are both right but it's hard to tell where to drawn the line. Some author I read once pointed out that the German word for "science" is Wissenschaft and that had there been no Norman conquest, the English word for "science" today would be *wiseship. We still have the suffix -ship in words like friendship, hardship and partnership.

I'm also sure that the Anglo-Saxon fred, thorp or throp, and self-morthor cf. German Fried, Dorf, Selbstmord would have remained our words for "peace", "village" and "suicide" instead of the Norman French words.

Even down to modern times the "centipede" (another Norman French word) has occasionally been referred to by Anglo-Saxon words like "woodlouse," and "forty-legs."
greg   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 08:18 GMT
I read there was an English guy named William Barnes (1801-1886) who proposed to Germanicise many Latin/Greek or French loanwords.
medicine > leechcraft
lunatic > moonmad
cynget > swangling
omnibus > falkwain
aviary > birdstow
horizon > skysill
delight > mind-glee
parody > song-mocking
noun > thing-name
polygamist > many-wedder.
And so on.

So did George Percy Grainger (1882-1961), a musician :
musician > tone-wright
complex > puzzle-wifty
ignorant > know-nothing
piano > keyed-hammer-string
permitting > allowing
performance > dish-up
composition > tone-work
original > as-first-was
democratic > a-chance-for-all
career > job-path.
Grainger's Blue-eyed English Dictionary was probably an amical farce, wasn't it ?
Sander   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 18:11 GMT
What a waste of time....
Travis   Thursday, March 17, 2005, 19:25 GMT
Brennus, by the way, you must recognize that -"schaft" is a high West Germanic suffix, and -"ship" is a low West Germanic one (by how the former uses "f" where the latter uses "p"). One reason why I said Dutch, Low Saxon, and Frisian is that those are all low, rather than high, and the reason why I also listed Danish is because, while it is technically a North Germanic language, Old Norse also had a /lot/ of influence on Old English, to extent that it's impacted the pronoun system of English today (that's where we got "they" from) and significantly changed basic vocabulary as a whole (for example, English has "first" while Danish has "først", whereas Dutch has "eerst" and German has "erst"). As a whole, Modern English is far more North Germanic-like than Dutch or German are.