Do American boys find the english accent atractive?

euro_boy   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 15:53 GMT
Ed,

I knew that :) , but I don't believe Americans know or meant that anyway.
As I said I don't have a Russian accent, and anywhere I travel, except USA I am not asked if I'm Russian.

Thanks .
canaws   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 15:59 GMT
I think it's because all a lot of Americans know about Eastern Europe is Russia.
Gabe   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 16:48 GMT
Yeah, canaws is right. I can't imagine right now what a specifically Romanian accent would sound like. We can tell French and German and English and Spanish pretty clearly. Irish, Scottish, Polish, probably too. And then there's just Eastern European/Russian, at least for me. The problem is that we don't hear a legitimate romanian accent very often. I don't know how you speak, but my idea of a Russian accent is one with kind of a deep, gruff pronunciation, and dropping "a" or "the." And if there were a movie with someone pretending to be from eastern europe, they could probably just do something similar to a Russian accent and I would be none the wiser.

In Europe, I'm sure they probably have much more of an exposure to different English accents, including legitimate Romanian ones.
Deborah   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 18:12 GMT
Damian,

<<[A]ctually I quite like the "Deep South" US accent....>>

A Texas accent isn't a "Deep South" accent, as the Deep South refers to the Southeastern US -- Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia. Be that as it may, I like most accents if I like the people using them.

<<I wonder if there is a place called Glasgow in the USA?>>

Look up Glasgow, Virginia and Glasgow, Kentucky. There may be others.

As I was writing my anecdote, it occurred to me that my attempt to give some idea of the little girl's Texas accent without doing the same to indicate my California accent in the narrative doesn't seem to fit in with my assertion that everyone has an accent.
Deborah   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 18:13 GMT
Damian,

By the way, the booth in question was a restaurant booth, not a phone booth.
euro_boy   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 19:06 GMT
Gabe,

Thanks for the answer.
Romnian accent is in some ways close to Croatian or Bulgarian and maybe to Russian as well. Some of my friends have a thick close to Russian accent , but I changed mine or tried too and I don't really see it close to Russian. I don't sound Russian or Romanian either. And I do agree with canaws .
Damian   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 20:15 GMT
Deborah:

Thanks for that info.....my apologies for placing Texas in the wrong region. I was told once by an American that Texas considers itself to be a nation in its own right...a nation within a nation! I confused your restaurant booth for our telephone booths...usually called booths but some call them kiosks.

I see both the Glasgows you mentioned are in the South. Notice I didn't use the word "Deep".....I learn a great deal in this Forum. Regards.
american nic   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 22:22 GMT
Many Americans I know think Texas should separate from the rest of the US, just so we don't have to listen to there "Y'all don't mess wit Texas, ya hear?" anymore...
Travis   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 22:36 GMT
Yeah, around here, a very common opinion is that if Texas separated from the rest of the US, it would not be missed one bit, and that, hell, its succession from the rest of the US would be quite welcome, as a whole.
Damian   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 22:52 GMT
Texas is two and a half times the size of the entire UK in area but with only a fraction of the population. That's one heck of a lot of Texas but not so many Texans... could it really go its own way and seek secession?

Does the Spanish language have any influence in Texas? It does border Mexico after all.
I want to go back to Texas   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:26 GMT
The US would be nothing without Texas, and I'd bet you guys would absolutely hate it if Texas seceded from the US. (And Texas is the ONLY state in the US that can legally secede from the union without a messy Civil War, Part II -- please refer to the Texas-American Annexation Treaty of 1848):

1. NASA is just south of Houston, Texas. (Texas will control the space industry.)

2. Texas refines over 85% of the gasoline in the United States.

3. 65% of the defense industry is in Texas. The term "Don't mess with Texas" would take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - If Texas were to secede from the US, the Republic of Texas can supply all the oil that it would need for the next 300 years. The rest of the US? Hmmm...

5. Natural Gas - Again they have all they need and it's too bad about the northern states. Guess the rest of the country would have to figure out a way to keep themselves warm during those bitter winters....

6. Computer Industry - Texas currently leads the nation in producing computer chips and communications. You know, small places like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Semiconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Health Centers - Texas has the largest research centers for Cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world and other large health planning centers.

8. Texas has enough colleges to keep it going: UT, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU (my alma mater!), the University of Houston, Baylor, UNT, Texas Women's University, etc... Ivy grows better in the south anyway.

9. Texas has a ready supply of workers -- just open the border when they need some more.

10. Texas has control of the paper industry, plastics, insurance, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, there are the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard. There's no army, but since everybody down there has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, an army can be raised in 24 hours if needed. If the situation really got bad, they could always call Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over a couple Texas Rangers.

12. Texas is totally self sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs and several types of grain, fruit, vegetables, and seafood from the Gulf. Don't need any food.

This just names a few of the items that would keep the Republic of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that they would need and don't already have.

For the rest of us not in Texas (this includes me): since there wouldn't be enough refineries to get gas for our cars, soccer moms would not be able to drive around in their 9 mile per gallon SUVs. The rest of the United States would have to walk or ride bikes (hey... we're obese anyway). We wouldn't have any TV or cell phone services, as the space center in Houston would cut off our communications. No natural gas to heat our homes, either... but since you bleedin'-heart uber-liberals have predicted global warming, there's no need for gas, is there?

So make fun of their accents if you want, they're used to it... but don't piss 'em off TOO royally, hmmm? Otherwise they just might leave...
Travis   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:29 GMT
I think attitudes like that demonstrated just above so conveniently for us are why many would /like/ Texas no longer being part of the US...
american nic   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:30 GMT
Texas sucks.
I want to go back to Texas   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:35 GMT
>>I think attitudes like that demonstrated just above so conveniently for us are why many would /like/ Texas no longer being part of the US...

The truth hurts, doesn't it? Oh well.
Rogelio   Thursday, March 24, 2005, 23:50 GMT
Famous movie quotes:

"Don't know how a man can stoop so low. Must be Texans -- lowest form of white man there is."
-- Robert Duvall, "Geronimo"