Do American boys find the english accent atractive?

DK   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 20:11 GMT
This may sound like a really stupid question but do american boys find the english accent attractive? I always here about how american girls really like the english accent on men, but does it work the other way around?
Io   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 20:41 GMT
Wow , what A STUPID question indeed ! Why start such a lame topic ?
DK   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 20:58 GMT
I was only asking a question, my god, calm down, go get a drink!!
Io   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 21:51 GMT
I'm just saying , don't start a new topic to ask 1 question like : what's the pronouncation of '...' , which languages do you like , what is a correct word for .... It's perfectly possible to just ask your question in another topic !
Brennus   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 22:46 GMT
DK,

A number of studies and surveys have shown that Americans generally like British accents better than their own. Advertisers have even found that sales of a procuct will increase if they have someone with a British accent doing the commercial. So, I imagine that a lot of American males probably do like girls with British accents. Certainly, during World War II there were a lot of liasons between American servicemen and British woman. I saw a television report on it in 1989 about how some grown-up offspring of these marriages living in England were trying to find their American dads. One British girl finally located hers living in Ohio and the report showed their first face-to-face meeting even though it was via televison. In fact, the British had that saying about American GI's during World War II which many people still remember: "They're oversexed, they're overfed, and they're over here."
Yaneth   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 22:56 GMT
American MEN (as opposed to "boys") don't really care how WOMEN (as opposed to "girls") sound. All that matters is that you give them your phone number and tell them how wonderful they are.
Gabe   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 23:18 GMT
I personally do. Keira Knightley... *swoons*
Bubbler   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 23:21 GMT
From an American female's perspective, which may or may not help, I think American men and women are equally charmed by a variety of different accents (especially European). What you may be more interested in are the perceptions/stereotypes that accompany each respective accent. For example, a woman speaking with a "standard" English accent would probably be perceived as demure and intellectual, whereas a woman speaking with an Italian accent would be perceived as exotic and sensual. Of course, as with all stereotypes, they may or may not ring true. On that note, I am curious as to the perceptions of the American accent (either male or female, if they differ) by non-Americans.
Deborah   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 23:39 GMT
I think Bubbler is right about Americans being charmed by foreign accents in general, especially European. I used to attribute my own attraction to British accents to the fact that I was a teenager during the British Invasion in the '60s. But I think the seeds were sown in my childhood, when my mother took me to see so many British movies.

In my younger days, men of my generation seemed to be equally as infatuated with English (and Scottish and Irish) accents in women.

I'm also curious about how American accents are perceived by non-Americans. I've heard many negative comments over the years about American accents. Several non-Americans have told me that the way I speak is pleasant (neither shrill nor loud, and with a standard American accent), but no one has ever specifically said anything complimentary about my accent.
Deborah   Tuesday, March 22, 2005, 23:46 GMT
equally as infatuated --> equally infatuated

I was in England when I was 19. When a construction worker called out something to me, addressing me as "luv," I was rather charmed, even while realizing that it shouldn't be any more charming than being called "babe" in a similar situation in the US. (Being called "puta" in Spain because I was walking by myself wasn't charming, though.)
Elaine   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 00:16 GMT
Deborah, that is so true. Being called "luv", "luf", even "lassie" while visiting the UK certainly put a smile on my face. But being bombarded with catcalls, whistles, air kisses, and "complements" like "Ay mami, que nalga!" as I walk down an LA street full of men waiting for jobs is not very endearing. Sorry fellas, it's not about race, ethnicity, or accent, but the way you treat a lady.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 00:41 GMT
As everyone else has said, Americans seem to be entranced by foreign accents.

The reason, I think, is because accents aren't heard as often in the U.S. as in the UK or Europe, where distances are shorter and many diverse people come into contact with each other more frequently. This has been changing in the last few decades as more Spanish and Vietnamese speaking people have immigrated here.

From what others have written here in the past, it seems that the American accent is not liked very much. Also, my Australian friend frequently comments on how loud Americans are when they speak.
Bubbler   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 01:09 GMT
Might I assume there is a general consensus that the amount an accent is deemed “likable” is directly proportional to the general sentiments toward the particular country of origin?

From my experience, I find those who like America generally enjoy the way Americans speak. Personally, I can’t imagine meeting a foreigner and thinking, “Well, I can’t stand listening to him, but overall . . . good guy.” For a long time, the mocking of Arab accents (and Indian among those who can’t distinguish) has been especially prevalent in the U.S. Is this based entirely on the “funny” way they speak? I sincerely doubt it.

Likewise, Americans are charmed by the accents of those deemed most culturally similar to them (i.e. Europeans). So, when I hear that U.S. accents generally aren’t liked, I wonder if this is more a reflection on the accent or on said person's feelings toward the U.S.
Deborah   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 01:22 GMT
mentioned this in another thread, but it seems appropriate here. The people I met in Russia around the time of the coup were very pro-American (what a concept!), and did in fact say that they liked the sound of American English. I didn't mention this earlier when I said that no one had ever said anything complimentary about my accent because they just said that they generally liked the sound of American English, and did not gush over it, as many Americans tend to gush over certain foreign accents.
american nic   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 03:32 GMT
My American male perspective on British accents is that they are attractive if accompanied by an attractive woman. Same with any other accent. I'm curious...what do non-Americans think about general American accent.