Andre from South Africa presents: "The Afrikaner Language Thread"

Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:30 GMT
=>and is also closer to West Flemish than it is to Dutch, as well.<=

Now that's something I woulden't say...Afrikaans is a desendant from Dutch,I would rather say that WF and Afrikaans have some sort of "CO-evolution" although WF is a dialect and Afrikaans is a language...its rather complicated.Though WF and Afrikaans share some typicall things,so do Afrikaans and Dutch.We need to bare in mind that the language splitt from dutch in the 17th century,but it wasn't and still isnt ununderstandable (<stupid word) for a Dutch speaker.
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:32 GMT
=>Also read Travis's comments he is quite right (how do you do it Travis??)<=

Travis....are you god?

LOL
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:37 GMT
Totally agree with you Jordi. Unfortunately, during the apartheid years, a distance grew between dutch and afrikaans people, but we are getting closer now and I hope and believe this will continue. BTW, are you Dutch?

Sander

You are quite right. The closeness of Afrikaans and West Flemish is more co-incidental than anything else. I still feel much closer to Dutch. And as for Travis, I have respect for his obvious intelligence and insight
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:39 GMT
Dutch remains our mother so to speak ;)
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:41 GMT
=>You are quite right. The closeness of Afrikaans and West Flemish is more co-incidental than anything else. I still feel much closer to Dutch.<=

Thats nice...I thought that satanic belgian had stolen your linguestic soul with his disgusting West-Flemish....
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:43 GMT
=>Dutch remains our mother so to speak ;) <=

Then whose the father(s) ?
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:44 GMT
Heh heh we blame the Germans but it could be the French too
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:49 GMT
=>Heh heh we blame the Germans but it could be the French too<=

HAH! A dutch woman would never do it with a frog....
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:56 GMT
Jordi

>I'm convinced Dutch, Flemish and Afrikaans productions must really be interesting. <

The Dutch singer Stef Bos recorded a song with the Afrikaans singer Amanda Strydom he sang in Dutch she in Afrikaans it's really beautiful
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 19:58 GMT
>HAH! A dutch woman would never do it with a frog.... <

Well it happened sander ;)

My mother is from french descent, my father from german descent but there were some dutch inbetween there as well
Jordi   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 20:11 GMT
André,
I'm Catalan from Barcelona. By the way, one of my best Catalan friend is married to a Dutch girl (blond, long legs). She speaks beautiful Catalan (the Dutch learn languages easily or at least show great interest.)

I'm interested in socio-linguistics and I know no Dutch at all although I've visited the country on holiday. I speak Catalan, Spanish, English, French, Occitan some Italian and Portuguese and I've studied German for a couple of years. I was born in France of Catalan parents but I spent quite a few years in Australia as a child and teenager.

I hold a linguistics degree in translation and interpreting.
Travis   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 20:14 GMT
Well, I wouldn't claim to be a god myself, not having time for such notions as a whole... heh

As for French and German people, well, I remember that one of my relatives who initially came into this country on my dad's side was technically French, even though the way my dad put it, she was probably not "really" French, but was most likely some sort of ethnic German from France, probably Elsaßisch or like, considering that he considered her to be more German than French, legal nationality aside.
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 20:15 GMT
=>My mother is from french descent, my father from german descent but there were some dutch inbetween there as well<=

I really don't want to know the whole story of the orgy of your conception andre....
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 20:18 GMT
>I really don't want to know the whole story of the orgy of your conception andre.... <

Heh heh won't bore you with the details Sander. But remember this happened over a span of 300 years
Sander   Saturday, April 09, 2005, 20:19 GMT
=>As for French and German people, well, I remember that one of my relatives who initially came into this country on my dad's side was technically French, even though the way my dad put it, she was probably not "really" French, but was most likely some sort of ethnic German from France, probably Elsaßisch or like, considering that he considered her to be more German than French, legal nationality aside.<=

Funny that you mention this....because you often hear that people from Elzas-Lotharingen sometimes feel more french than german and visa versa.