How harsh it does sound?

Verhonit' vsem siuda   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 19:49 GMT
How harsh it sounds for native's. Does it happen at all that the native's make these mistakes once in awhile.

Did you meant
Did you went
Did you got etc
Travis   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 20:02 GMT
Those all jump out at me as being quite ungrammatical. If you interpret "meant", "went", and "got" as being simple past, the problem is that simple past-ness is provided solely by the auxiliary here, which is "did", and if you interpret them as past participles, even though the past participle of "to go" to me is "gone", not "went" (which alone doesn't sound *too* bad), you've then got the problem that the past participles here then have no auxiliary to go along with, which also sounds very off, to say th eleast.
Deborah   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 20:06 GMT
Natives often say things that deviate from standard English, but the examples you listed don't sound like a native speaker's mistakes to me.
Kirk   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 20:26 GMT
Native English speakers often vary somewhat on some grammatical issues, but I would agree a native speaker would never use such grammatical constructions as those listed above. Those sound particularly like something an English learner would say.
andre in south africa   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 20:34 GMT
Even for me, who speaks English as second language, those do not seem like common mistakes
Frances   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 22:30 GMT
It doesn't sound right at all and these errors wouldn't be made a fluent English speaker.

Did you meant ---> Did you mean
Did you went ----> Did you go
Did you got etc ----> Did you get

On the side and kind of related to the topic, there has been an increasing useage in Australia for the word of "lend" instead of "loan", eg "can I have a lend of your pen". It does not sound right to my ears at all. It is from Ozwords (http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/ozwords/April_2000/April2000mailbag.html):

LOANING A LEND

My daughter who is fourteen has this ... grating expression: 'Can I have a lend of this or that?'. ... She isn't the only one. Her friends do it also. ... Is this just a fad of teenspeak, or is it acceptable now to use lend as a noun? My dictionary is no help (perhaps it's out of date).

Jenny B.

NSW

Your daughter's usage is not acceptable as yet, although it is widespread in Australia (and not just among teens). If the trend persists, and your daughter comes to edit Shakespeare when she is in her twenties, she may well make Mark Antony say, 'Friends, Romans, countrymen, give us a lend of your ears!' Yes, it does grate, doesn't it? Persuade your daughter (until she has her day) to avoid using lend as a noun in anything approaching formal writing or speech (unless she is writing a story in which the main character is a contemporary Australian girl of fourteen, in which case it will be mandatory for her to make that character say 'Hey Sue, give us a lend of your lippie!').

I chuckle to think that lend was a noun as well as a verb in bygone days. Your teenage daughter is on speaking terms with the ancients, whereas you and I are not at all with it or them. The -d of lend was added in the Middle English period so that lend and loan are much the same word. Your daughter would approve of this: 'Quhat is ane lenne, and of the restitutioun thairof' ['What constitutes a lend and its repayment'] (marginal annotation in Balfour's Practicks c.1575). Ed.

Another example is "that'll learn you", instead of "that'll teach you" - which I find quite grating.
Frances   Sunday, May 01, 2005, 22:42 GMT
Sorry "useage" ---> usage

and

"It is from Ozwords ..." should read "This article is from Ozwords..."
Gabe   Monday, May 02, 2005, 00:17 GMT
>Did you meant
>Did you went
>Did you got etc

I know that I wouldn't ever make those mistakes, although they sound vaguely like something one of my black friends would say, so it may be acceptable in AAEV. I think I've heard him say "Did you meant to do that?" or "Did you went already?"
Fred   Monday, May 02, 2005, 03:43 GMT
"Another example is "that'll learn you", instead of "that'll teach you" - which I find quite grating."

Francis,
That looks like an old form of English which could have arisen from an old French borrowing. From what I remember at school "that will learn you" is literally how it is in French ("ça t'apprendra") in the sense that the verb "apprendre" means both to learn and to teach.
Fred   Monday, May 02, 2005, 03:50 GMT
In case you don't know any French,
ça - that
t' - you
apprendra - will learn/teach
Lazar   Monday, May 02, 2005, 06:33 GMT
I read that you can use either "apprendre" or "enseigner" to mean "to teach".
Fred   Monday, May 02, 2005, 06:50 GMT
"apprendre" and "enseigner" can't normally be used interchangeably for "teaching" and only "apprendre" can be used in the above expression in the general sense of teaching. "Enseigner" has a different connotation which is more like "to instruct", what a teacher does at school.
Lesley   Monday, May 02, 2005, 07:20 GMT
>"lend" instead of "loan", eg "can I have a lend of your pen".

>Another example is "that'll learn you", instead of "that'll teach you"

Both have been around since Adam was a boy. An educated speaker is unlikely to use the first except in the phrase "having a lend of you", a very old slang term, as is "That'll learn you". Ungrammatical, and certainly introduced by the barely-literate, but probably more often used jocularly than seriously.

Far worse is the common use of the noun "loan" as a verb, so perhaps the only way "lend" will survive modern lack-of-education is to swap places.
MW   Monday, May 02, 2005, 07:47 GMT
usage
Learn in the sense of "teach" dates from the 13th century and was standard until at least the early 19th <made them drunk with true Hollands--and then learned them the art of making bargains -- Washington Irving>.

http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwdictsn?book=Dictionary&va=learned
Hermione   Monday, May 02, 2005, 08:01 GMT
Thanks for that. Of course when the usage was first introduced is not being discussed, as we know that English was far from formed in the 13th century.