Brasilian or Brasilian Portuguese ?

gregg   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:40 GMT
Repaired ! ;)
mjd   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:42 GMT
With all of the other issues Brazil has to deal with, I think reviving the Língua Geral would not only be unneccessary and unwanted by most Brazilians, but a total waste of time.
...g   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:46 GMT
"Repaired ! ;)"

Wellg, Ig thinkg youg overg-fixedg itg.
Icelandic   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 01:25 GMT
Actually, Língua Geral is still spoken in the state of Pará in Brazil (its dialect called Nheegatu). I don't think Brazilian will be made the official language: Portuguese will still be the official language, but its usage will be reduced to very formal situations (laws, commercial letter and so on). Dialectal, vernacular and colloquial features (Brazilianisms) have recently entered many mainstream Brazilian grammars, so this is a departure from traditional grammars based on Continental Portuguese that had some prestige in Brazil util 1950ies, but are considered ''outdated'' today.Of course, the ''continental portuguese'' forms will be kept in Brazil, as formal variants, but in the real-life-languages they have not been used for many decades (Does anyone say IT'S I or WHOM DID YOU CALL in normal spoken language, in English. It doesn't...CHAMEM-NA or DIR-LHO-EMOS disappeared 200 years ago from Brazilian spoken languages. They are as used (in Brazil) as phrases IT'S I/WhOM DID YOU CALL are in English: in extremely formal situations, and their usage would be considered pedant or bookish...ALl Brazilians say CHAMEM ELA e VAMOS FALAR ISSO PARA VOCÊ.

Languages change, and the name of the language is not important per sé.
Portuguese and Brazilian are not separate languages, but Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are...So, it's very close, but at the same time, very distant.
mjd   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 06:32 GMT
I wouldn't say they are different languages, just different variants of the same language.
Huchu   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 11:48 GMT
"Languages change, and the name of the language is not important per sé."
The name may be unimportant for you.

What do Icelandic and Co. mean by continental Portuguese?
Brazil is also located in a continent, isn't it?

I completely agree with mjd*
xxx   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 13:40 GMT
Continental Portuguese = American and British term for Portuguese spoken in Portugal

Brazilian Portuguese = Portuguese from Brazil
Janayna   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 02:05 GMT
I am from Brasil and I don*t understand Portuguese people at all. They definitely need some phonetician lessons.
Jo   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 18:12 GMT
As the Portuguese understand Brazilian Portuguese, wouldn't it be a case for you, Janayna, to get some lessons yourself?

Phonetician lessons , where can one get those?
May be from a profesorisian?
Kess   Saturday, May 28, 2005, 23:33 GMT
Yes, Portuguese people have such bad diction. You can go to the http://www.ciberduvidas.com page and you will find Portuguese professors claiming the same thing. They even justified the dubbing of Portuguese Tv products into Brazilian norm.
Huchu   Sunday, May 29, 2005, 19:11 GMT
Spoken Brazilian Portuguese with its many 'tchis' (e.g. quente) and 'dzis' (e.g. verdade) as well as its exaggerated nasalization, sounds heavily affected for many people who have first learned european Portuguese. On the other hand sung Brazilian Portuguese sounds OK.
Mandy Moore   Monday, May 30, 2005, 02:33 GMT
It's better to have TCHs than THs

VERDADE

Brazilian (from Brasília): [veh'dadj(i)]
Portuguese (from Lisbon): [v(@)r'thath] (th like in english That, v(@)r like in american verve, but with the alveolar r)
Jo   Monday, May 30, 2005, 17:17 GMT
«It's better to have TCHs than THs »

Why is that , Mandy?
Missonya   Monday, May 30, 2005, 19:53 GMT
palatals are more pleasant than interdentals
mina   Monday, May 30, 2005, 23:16 GMT
BORED BORED BORED