Brasilian or Brasilian Portuguese ?

Jo   Monday, May 23, 2005, 21:12 GMT
« ninguém fala PURTUGUES no Brasil é sempre com ô: Portugues. »

Ah, afinal , sempre falam Português no Brasil?
Parabens é aí que queriamos chegar.
Falam BR: pohtugueiç e poRRRtugeiç mas é tudo Português :)
Huchu   Monday, May 23, 2005, 21:57 GMT
Portuguese (Brazilian and European) speakers are behaving exactly like the Castilian speakers of this forum. Please write your messages in English or at least translate them into English. It surprises me that Mjd* does not say anything. Otherwise she/he always complains about those who post messages in languages other than English without providing a corresponding translation.
Mandy   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 01:44 GMT
Are you com ciúmes? :D
mjd   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 04:14 GMT
The posts on the previous pages do have some untranslated Portuguese, but also a lot of English in them.

I do agree with Huchu, however....please do provide translations in languages other than English.
Kess   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 08:43 GMT
it is Brazilian and not Brasilian

please use your spelling checkers :D
Jo   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 20:09 GMT
Sorry Huchu: here is the translation of below text:
«Noboys says PURTUGUES in Brazil , it is always with Ô :Portugues»

Ah, so you do speak Portuguese in Brazil in the end?
Congratulations , that's what we were after.
You say:pohtugueiç and poRRRtugeiç but it is all Português :)

« ninguém fala no Brasil é sempre com ô: Portugues. »

Ah, afinal , sempre falam Português no Brasil?
Parabens é aí que queriamos chegar.
Falam BR: pohtugueiç e poRRRtugeiç mas é tudo Português :)
Huchu   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 22:57 GMT
Jo: Muito obrigado pela sua tradução.
Eu percebo/entendo e falo Português. Eu só disse isso porque nos estamos num fórum de língua inglesa. E as pessoas deste fórum têm tudo o direito a entender as mensagens que os outros participantes escrevem em línguas que não sejam o Inglês.

Translation: Thank you very much for the translation. I understand and speak Portuguese. I only said that because we are in an English language forum, and everyone here has the right to understand what the other participants write in languages other than English.
Kelly K.   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 23:28 GMT
Eu percebo/entendo e falo Português. Eu só disse isso porque nos (NÓS)
estamos num fórum de língua inglesa. E as pessoas deste fórum têm tudo o direito a (TODO (O) DIREITO DE) entender as mensagens que os outros participantes escrevem em (NAS) línguas que não sejam o Inglês.

(CORRECTIONS)
Meijse   Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 23:32 GMT
I would like to know why is that Portuguese people find Brazilian Portuguese ''badly-spoken''. The same is true of English (many Brits find American English: ''badly-spoken English''. It (does not) have something to do with the ''language ownership''? (Brits and Portuguese own English and Portuguese and, Americans and Brazilians speak are dialects?!)

Many thanks
Rui   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 01:13 GMT
Meisje : Allow me to insert the expression you have quoted inside its original context (some posts ago):

"I already knew many Brasilians may find Portuguese "stuffy", and I think it's understandable. But why don't you try to understand peacefuly when Portuguese people say Brasilian often sounds like Portuguese badly spoken? It's also very understandable, considering that, as you quoted, there is an «aparente “desgramaticalização” do PB» (no translation needed i guess). Brasilian Portuguese grammatical characteristics are originated in simplifying original Portuguese grammar, right? So, isn't it logical that a Portuguese speaker's first reaction on spoken BP will be "this is not right, it should be ...". Only after that, one may realise it's a characteristic and not a mistake."

It became a lot different, didn't it?

That "aparent degramaticalization" part mentioned is from Mary Kato's text as quoted in Jacyra third post:

"Among the most amazing aspects of Brazilian Portuguese are the empoverishment of its flexional morphology, the spread use of empty categories whose identification can't be done through flexion; the lack of mobility (flexibility?) of some elements, like verbs, interrogative pronouns and clitics. (...) In spite of this «aparent degramaticalization» of BP, speakers communicate between them as well (or as bad) as speakers of Italian or Spanish, languages which have complex morphology, or as speakers of languages such as English and French, which have few flexional morphology and few neutral pronouns."
Jo   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 10:34 GMT
«Meisje: I would like to know why is that Portuguese people find Brazilian Portuguese ''badly-spoken''. The same is true of English (many Brits find American English: ''badly-spoken English''.»

( I take it you meant meisje and not meijse)

For exactly the same reason Dutch find that Afrikaans is badly spoken Dutch.
Huchu   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 19:51 GMT
I still believe that Brazilian Portuguese is Portuguese, and that the arguments given by the Brazilians of this forum do not support their view that Brazilian Portuguese is a different, independent tongue.
However, I think that Brazilians do need a national language other than Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese. Brazilians are the only Portuguese-speaking people who do not have a recognized national language of their own. I mean an official language that really belongs to them, a language they don’t hate to speak, but one they can love, feel as their own and be proud of. All other former portuguese colonies (Angola, Cape Verde, East Timor, Guinea Bissau, Macau, Mozambique and São Tomé and Príncipe) have national languages which coexist with Portuguese. I sincerely wish Brazilians that they soon succeed in having an official national language. They could e.g. revive the “Língua Geral” or systematize their vernacular tongue and raise it to an official national language. Having a true national language, together with their wonderful music and excellent literature will increase self-awareness of Brazilians as a nation with an original culture, which only belongs to them. A true national language would also help many Brazilians overcome the traumas of colonialism, the hate they feel for Portugal and the Portuguese people as well as their delusions of grandeur and megalomania.
Father of 3 Brazilian children   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:31 GMT
«I sincerely wish Brazilians that they soon succeed in having an official national language»

So do I, how wonderful will that be and while we are at the wishing well I also wish ingrained corruption and crime will soon be wiped out. I also wish that after 200 years of independency they stop putting the blame of their misfortunes on others. The mismanagement of one of the most promising countries in the world is in whose hands?
I wish that those who can have 4 to 5 showers per day think about those
who do not have running water and sewage but do carry the country on their backs and are actually the ones without any delusions of grandeur and megalomania, you won't hear them.
It's the 4- 5 showers per day, who are the rotten core of the country, who worry about europeans not having a daily bath, while at their doorstep there is more than enough to worry about.
Will these wishes ever come true? You wish!
Amanha é outro dia!
gre   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:34 GMT
Does Pg <amanha é outro dia> mean Fr <demain est un autre jour> and En <tomorrow is a new day> ?
...   Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 20:37 GMT
Hey! greg has lost one of his g's!