Brasilian or Brasilian Portuguese ?

boom é bão dimai   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 01:30 GMT
Mina = Mine
Minas Gerais = General Mines
booooooooooooooom
Caipira   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:39 GMT
é, né?
Sou Brasileiro mas naum sei o que vou falah.
Ah: boom, bored, não percebo nada (mas tomo 4 a 5 banhos de chuveiro por dia )
Jacyra   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 21:50 GMT
''percebo'' (perceive) for ''entendo'' (understand) is a Lusitanism.

And ''banho de chuveiro'' is not normally used. simple BANHO is preferred: banho (shower), banho de banheira (bath). Sorry, Caipira, you ain't Brazilian. :p And, caipiras pronounce it like this: FALARRRRRRRRRRR, not FALAH! Falah is a Brasília-Espírito Santo-Belo Horizonte-Norte-Nordeste-Goiás-thingy
Falso Caipira   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 12:33 GMT
Entendi. You mean you do understand something?
Lasgo   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 14:04 GMT
Lasgo - Something
jimmy   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 23:13 GMT
im so fly
Mike   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 23:20 GMT
What are some words that are different in Brazilian Portuguese and The other Portuguese spoken in Portugal. I am doing a project on Brazil.
Rui   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 23:27 GMT
Please tell us more about your project, Mike.
Mandy Moore   Friday, June 03, 2005, 04:03 GMT
Rapariga
1) girl (in Portugal)
2) mistress or even prostitute (in Brazil) (amor de rapariga = mistress' love, clandestine love)

Rato
1) mouse (in Portugal)
2) rat (in Brazil) [mouse is camundongo (animal) or mouse (device)]

Puto
1) young boy (in Portugal)
2) queer boy (in Brazil)

bicha
1) cue/line (in Portugal)
2) queer man (in Brazil)

cão
1) dog (in Portugal)
2) devil (in Brazil) [dog is cachorro]

JAGUAR is
1) jaguar in Portugal
2) onça in Brazil

JELLYFISH is
1) alforreca in Portugal
2) água-viva in Brazil

PINEAPPLE is
1) ananás in Portugal
2) abacaxi in Brazil

GRAY is
1) cinzento in Portugal
2) cinza in Brazil

BROWN is
1) castanho in Portugal
2) marrom in Brazil

GOODBYE is
1) adeus in Portugal
2) tchau in Brazil

HI is
1) olá in Portugal
2) oi in Brazil

ARRIVE HOME is
1) chegar à casa in Portugal
2) chegar em casa in Brazil

I SAW HIM is
1) vi-o in Portugal
2) eu vi ele in Brazil

YOUR HOUSE is
1) a tua casa (singular) / a vossa casa (plural) in Portugal
2) sua casa (singular) / a casa de vocês (plural) in Brazil

I LOVE YOU is
1) amo-te in Portugal
2) eu amo você, eu lhe amo or eu te amo in Brazil

there are many many many differences...
Mandy Moore   Friday, June 03, 2005, 04:11 GMT
BUS:
1) autocarro (pt)
2) ônibus (br)

WATCH TV:
1) ver a tv (pt)
2) assistir a tv (br)

666(devil's number):
1) seis seis seis (pt)
2) meia meia meia (br)

TANGERINE JUICE:
1) sumo de tangerina (pt)
2) suco de mexerica (br)

TRAIN
1) comboio (pt)
2) trem (br)

SIDEWALK/PAVEMENT
1) passeio (pt)
2) calçada (br)

PEDESTRIAN
1) peão (pt)
2) pedestre (br)

TO DRIVE
1) conduzir (pt)
2) dirigir (br)

AIR HOSTESS
1) hospedeira de bordo (pt)
2) aeromoça (br)

WAITRESS
1) empregada (pt)
2) garçonete (br)

and so on...
Romanika   Friday, June 03, 2005, 11:19 GMT
Clitics And More Second Person

From a reader learning Portuguese, I received an email containing a few doubts regarding language usage:

Hi! I'm mexican and I found this page helpful for those learning Romance Languages. I've been learning portuguese by my own without the necessity of assisting to classes. I don't know if this is the right place where I can ask doubts. Anyway, in Brazilian Portuguese, when you talk to a friend you talk to him informally obviously. But for example, I heard a sentence saying "Nao vem falar dos seus problemas que nao vou ouvir". The sentence is in informal form but the word "Seu" can also go accompanied with the informal??

The answer is yes. First of all, I refer the reader to my article Second Person in Portuguese, which deals with this exact matter and more.
Now, let's take a look at the sentence by parts. The first part, Não vem falar, is a negative imperative which, as you can see in Charts 7A and 7B of the article mentioned, uses the form of the second-person affirmative imperative. Prescriptively, the correct form should be Não venha falar, following the third-person morphology of você, the standard form of general address in Brazil; however, as I say in the article, in certain situations, some Brazilians maintain the formal/familiar distinction by using the prescriptive form in a more formal manner, while introducing forms from the second person in a rather familiar way. This is so that you have Vem falar in the affirmative, and Não vem falar in the negative, both following second-person morphology, even though this latter form in the negative should be standardly Não venhas falar, a construction not ordinary colloquially in Brazil.
Now, regarding whether seu, as in seus problemas, is used with familiar forms, the answer is again yes. Like I wrote: [a] sentence with teu may be followed by one with seu or vice versa, e.g. Não me diga que este não é seu carro. Ela já me disse que é teu. That is, the possessive generally used is indeed seu, even in familiar usage; again, unless it is a formal context, seu will always be perceived as "yours (sg)", e.g. Ele tem seu carro, in general speech, will always mean "He has your car", whereas "He has his car" would be Ele tem o carro dele [See De Nosotros]. However, for instance, in the same sentence sent to me, teus could have just as well been used, and no one would have noted anything out of the ordinary because this is exactly how the admixture of second- and third-person forms occurs, i.e. the sentence then being Não vem falar dos teus problemas que não vou ouvir.
Jo   Friday, June 03, 2005, 12:21 GMT
and more:

socks
Br PT
meias- peúgas
panties
calcinha - cuecas
Jo   Friday, June 03, 2005, 12:38 GMT
Thanks to telenovelas, 'tchau' and 'fila' are now widely used in Portugal,
Paola   Friday, June 03, 2005, 23:01 GMT
I've heard many brazilians saying CIAO (with the final O) instead of TCHAU (with final U)...Could someone explain?
Huchu   Saturday, June 04, 2005, 02:04 GMT
Following words can be excluded from the list of differences between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese:
'Meias' (En socks) is not exclusively brazilian. It is also used in many regions of Portugal.
'Cachorro' (En dog) is widely used in some regions of Portugal.
It's ridiculous to include 'chegar a casa/chegar em casa'; 'eu amo-te/eu te amo', 'a tua casa/sua casa' in the list of real differences. Everybody knows what is meant.
Expressions like 'eu vi ele, eu vi ela' are also used by (illiterate) peasants in Portugal.
I would be interested to know how similar European and Brazilian Portuguese are. Are there serious, unbiased, reliable data? I'm quite sure that if an objective similarity index between them is determined, one must conclude that both variants of Portuguese are the same "shit".
It's interesting to note how Brazilians have changed (deformed? adapted?) the spelling of the italian word 'ciao' into 'tchau'. Ciao is used in several european languages with the original italian spelling.