Spanish Enigma-Jordi, Can you please tell me?

Deborah   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:31 GMT
I met a woman in the '70s who had had her entire name legally changed. She changed her given name because she just didn't like it. She didn't want to have her father's surname, since she hated him. She also didn't want her mother's surname, because it was, as she said, "Just another man's name." That's how it works in the US. I like the fact that you get to keep both parents' surnames in Spain. Is that true in all of the Spanish-speaking nations?
Jordi   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:37 GMT
Poor, poor, poor, lol, lol, lol...

Spain, you poor ignorant thing, happens to be the 5th economy in Europe out of 25 in the European union although it "only" has 44 million people. It is also the 12th most important economy in the world. It also has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Change your chip, mate, because we're in 2005 and not in 1950!

That is the reason why the Spanish population has grown almost 5 million people in the past 5 years since over 50% of our immigrants come from other European countries.

I can assure you Spaniards treat their wives or girl-friends as well as any other European country. A few of them are bad, the majority is not so bad and Spanish women will certainly not put up with any sort of nonsense.

They don't even have to worry about changing their names again.

I happen to have lived in a few European countries.
Jordi   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:39 GMT
Dear Deborah,

I believe they do so in many Central and South American countries since it is a system inherited from Spanish times. Anyway, perhaps some of our Spanish-speaking friends can confirm that.
greg   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:41 GMT
Chloe : I hope you'll stay eventually. Trolling seems to be polymorphic now, but they probably will give up and get a life.
Sander   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:44 GMT
Or at least try to get one...
Cro Magnon   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:46 GMT
A lot of it is what you've grown up with. To me, a woman NOT taking the name of her husband sounds strange. Obviously, it's different in Spain.
LOL LOL LOL   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:48 GMT
the Spaniards are indeed the well known Most Chauvinistic Macho – Man…

According to a famous Dictionary…

Macho = strongly masculine or assertive man, domineering and aggressive man; machismo, male chauvinism…

These are not URBAN LEGENDS dear Macho-Man ! Even your poor relatives, The Latinos have the same fame as Chauvinistic MachoMan…

There is a saying in the US

Don't marry a LATIN man or at least Be aware of that risk !!!
Travis   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:52 GMT
/me blinks at LOL LOL LOL Ive never heard that "saying" ...
Jordi   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 20:58 GMT
It would seem your a lol,lol,lol from the US. Please take example of the sensible US citizens. Some of them even write in ANTIMOON.

"Macho" means "male" and it must be defined in its historical context. In those times, I can assure my ignorant writer, "male" behaviours were quite popular all over the western world. They still are in many places and, if you are a young lady, I can only recommend to be very careful about your choices.

It's exactly the same thing I tell my 15 year old daughter: "only choose a man who will love you as much as I love your mother."

Yes, I am in Spain and I am a Catalan but I will never generalise about nations or people.

I agree with Cro Magnon but as Deborah and Travis said women are evolving and to keep "their own identity" is more and more important. It is also important for them to have the children they bore having their names "as well".

As we say in Spain: "you always know who the mother is but you can never be too sure about who the father is.", meaning lots of kids might have the wrong family name. This would change if we all had our mother's family name.

We might be as "malish" as the rest of the civilised world but we can certainly be ironical as well.
LOL LOL LOL   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 21:05 GMT
Travis
because you're a yank from the woods

Come down to reality ...here in S.states and see the macho Latinos arrested for Domestic violence or called here Macho violence...
JGreco   Sunday, May 22, 2005, 21:33 GMT
This discussion and this forum is not about "Male Chauvanism" it is about language differences so I will go back to the subject. I am surprise that the person in charge of the forum isn't stepping in and questioning the revelancy of the discussion you all are having.

>>Going somewhat back to the subject...<<<<

In Panama and Brazil they say there names the same way that they do in the Phillipenes. I believe of the names I have seen of people in other parts of South America it is similar to the way the Panamanians write their names. though I will not speak for all of Latin America. I like all forms of Spanish speech and find it amazing how just a few years of seperation from Spain can cause such dialectical differences in many forms of Spanish. Just by listening to the ways many famous Latino and Spanish speaking singers sing with many different accents gives you an examples of the varieties of Spanish out there. My personal favorite and probably the favorite of many Panamanian, Colombian, and Venezuelan people is the song "Fruta Fresca" by Carlos Vives. He sings this song with the traditional rhythm common in all three countries mentioned and sings in a Caribbean Spanish accent. Listening to this song will give you a personal flavor of how the speech patterns of those countries are (Specificall all of Panama and the coastal regions of Colombia and Venezuela).

>> There I said my peace!!!<<

Now return to the ORIGINAL DISCUSSION PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Tiffany   Monday, May 23, 2005, 01:17 GMT
I think hyphenating is chauvanistic in the long run too. Lets take two people, Maria Gonzalez-Perez and Jose Morales-Lopez. The first part of each last name is their father's last name, the second, their mothers. ore example, Maria's father's last name is Gonzalez. If they have children the children's last name will be: Morales-Gonzalez - both Jose's and Maria's fathers last names. What about Jose's and Maria's mothers? Their name is lost. If those children decide to have children, it will be the name Morales (their father's) that is passed on. The mother's is lost after that generation. The system is still quite patriarchal.
Tiffany   Monday, May 23, 2005, 01:23 GMT
chauvinistic*
Travis   Monday, May 23, 2005, 01:48 GMT
By the way, where did you get the "from the woods" part from, "LOL LOL LOL"? Also, clearly your other comment, about Latinos in the South, clearly indicates that you're not only a sexist scumbag, but also a racist one as well.

And anyways, die you fucking troll. And if you're the same person, "LOL LOL LOL", who changed the password for the Antimoon chat, soon you'll be without Internet access, fucker.
Eamon   Monday, May 23, 2005, 08:16 GMT
Jordi > Yes, I am in Spain and I am a Catalan

I thought, from other posts, that Jordi was from Oz.