Why didn't the anglo-saxons conquer the whole GB?

MARK   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 01:46 GMT
FACT IM AN HISTORIAN BY OCCUPATION
Jaro   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 06:22 GMT
Caps lock is between Tab and left shift.
Damian from Edinburgh   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 08:49 GMT
Leave MARK alone, JARO...he just wants to make an impression! :-)

Anway, I enjoyed reading his posts. I have Viking blood in me as it happens. I imagine myself all those years ago blowing on those horns as we raided, raped and pillaged along the east coast of Scotland......I'd be happy doing the pillaging bit once the raiding was over. The other activity I would leave to others who had the inclination.
vV|Vv   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 08:58 GMT
You'd be happy doing the pillaging, I'd be happy doing the raping!
Adam   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 16:07 GMT
"I bet the value of the jewels Lilibet has on her head and round her neck just about equal the GDP of some small countries somewhere or other in this inequitable world. "

Yup. Makes you proud to be British, doesn't it?

The Queen also has the world's largest diamond inside her crown - the Star of India.
Adam   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 16:15 GMT
"FIRST OF ALL IT WASNT CALLED ENGLAND UNTIL THE SAXONS ARRIVED THE WORD ENGLAND IS OLD ENGLISH ANGLO SAXON IN ORIGIN IT MEANS LAND OF THE ANGLES ALSO COUNTIES LIKE ESSEX KENT SHROPSHIRE LANCASHIRE SUSSEX HAMPSHIRE WERE REFERED TO AS BEING LIVED IN BY CELTS WRONG MAYBE THE CELTS WERE THERE THE COUNTIES NEVER WERE THESE COUNTIES ARE BY NAME AND ALSO SURNAME ANGLO SAXON IN ORIGIN OR OLD ENGLISH AND ALSO IN 2001 THE BBC MADE A PROGRAMME CALLED BLOOD OF THE VIKINGS WHICH DNA TESTED PEOPLE UP AND DOWN THE LENGH OF BRITAIN ENGLAND SCOTLAND WALES AND IRELAND BECAUSE WE KNOW VIKINGS WERE HERE STRONG IN THE 7TH AND 8TH CENTURY IN THE NORTH OF ENGLAND DNA MATCHED WITH ALOT OF NORWEIGAN AND DANISH BLOOD AND HERES THE THING THE 3 CELTIC COUNTRIES WERE TESTED ALSO BECAUSE OF INVASION OF VIKINGS IRELAND WAS CELTIC WALES WAS CELTIC SCOTLAND HOWEVER HAD AS MUCH VIKING BLOOD AS CELTIC IN THE PEOPLE SO SCOTLAND U AINT AS CELTIC AS U LIKE TO THINK U ARE MARK IN ENGLAND "

You don't have to shout.

I DO know it wasn't called England before the Anglo-Saxons arrived. There were three main groups - the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes. The two biggest groups were the saxons and Jutes but it was the Angles, the much smaller group, who gave their name to England.

However, there was also NO Scotland and Wales before the Anglo-Saxons arrived. Scotland and Wales were only formed because the invading Germanic peoples pushed the Celts into the northernmost and westernmost extremities of the island, and that's why Scotland is in the north of Britain and Wales is in the west.

That's why the Anglo-Saxons didn't really invade Scotland and Wales, not because they couldn't, but because the Anglo-Saxons created Scotland and Wales are they were occupying what is now England. But the Anglo-Saxons did occupy the area that is now Southern Scotland, and Cornwall.

A few years ago, scientists did DNA tests on the people of Southern England and found that most of them have more Celtic blood than Anglo-Saxon, which proved that the Anglo-Saxons didn't push all Celts into what is now Cornwall, but that some of the Celts remained all over what is now Southern England and intermingled with the Anglo-Saxons.

Some of the people of Southern England who were tested were found to have "Celtic DNA" levels as high as 70-75%, destroying the myth that the only "Celts" in the British Isles are those in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
mark   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 22:23 GMT
sorry about the capital letters i wasnt shouting by the way u describe southern england as having mainly celtic blood wrong there was no dna test of celtic and saxon blood never as been but the southern part of england is were the saxons dominant places like hastings hampshire sussex essex southampton etc the celts were driven into wot is today cornwall
*   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:03 GMT
Adam - This is how the British Isles may have looked today if the Normans had been defeated in 1066 and the unification of England
had failed:-

http://www.zyworld.com/wessexsociety/British_Confederation.gif
greg   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:04 GMT
Adam : your Old French is acceptable.
Damian in Alba   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:07 GMT
Great to see ALBA all in one piece! What a carve-up for England though! LOL Imagine all those Kings and Queens squabbling with each other...what Languages would they be speaking today? The Scottish mind boggles.
mark   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:29 GMT
also from page 1 it says the romans had left before the saxons arrived thats wrong the saxons started arriving in britain as early as the 3rd century supposedly to help romans defeat the britons as the saxons were described as the most blood thirsty barbarians in europe however it back fired and the saxons turned on the romans this is when the romans decided enough was enough after raids from celts and now saxons arriving and wanting the land the romans were occupying the romans left and went back home to wot is today italy after that also the roman empire collapsed maybe today the vikings are considered the most barbaric europeans but back then it was the saxons and lets not forget the saxons pre date the vikings
Adam   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 10:48 GMT
"What a carve-up for England though!"

Why do you think the English are against regional Assemblies or Parliaments?
Adam   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 10:54 GMT
"sorry about the capital letters i wasnt shouting by the way u describe southern england as having mainly celtic blood wrong there was no dna test of celtic and saxon blood never as been but the southern part of england is were the saxons dominant places like hastings hampshire sussex essex southampton etc the celts were driven into wot is today cornwall "

I copied and pasted a passage onto this forum, which I think is somewhere on this thread, that scientists tested the DNA of people all over Southern England to see if it matched the DNA of Celtic-descended people or Anglo-Saxon people, and they found a lot of Celtic DNA in the population of Southern England. They found that Essex has a lot of people with Celtic DNA living in it and a lot of other places in Southern England. The scientists said that this proves that not all the Celts were driven to the Northern and Western edges of the island, but many intermingled with the Germanic peoples.
Adam   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 10:57 GMT
No. The Romans left before the Saxons invaded, so the Britons were invaded twice - first by the ancestors of a lot of the modern Italians and then by the ancestors a lot of the modern English.

The Romans actually grew quite friendly with the Britons and actually warned them just before they left of an impending invasion by the Anglo-Saxons.
greg   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 13:08 GMT
Three times actually, Adam. Your forgot the French.