Can you speak Queen's English?

Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:45 pm GMT
Gee, thanks for the mark since I happen to speak Australian. And American sounds like Cockney without getting overly specific. :-)
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
I'm almost afraid to ask what a "face-snake diphthong" might be.
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
And American sounds like Cockney without getting overly specific. :-)

Ooh, no, you're gonna need to get specific: what parts sound similar? I'm curious here, since I can't see the resemblance, but people keep saying this, and you know, it's hard to hear your own accent with an objective ear.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:58 pm GMT
If American sounds like Cockney I will need to have my auditory senses retuned. Living in Edinburgh I am more accustomed to hearing American accents around and about than Cockney, and that's for sure. I will have to gird my loins and watch London's Eastenders sometime very soon and look out for similarities between Albert Square, Walford, E20 and Capitol Hill, Washington, DC. I reckon people see some sort of relationship in the "T" dropping thing, but come on, guys, how can you seriously confuse the two?

The next time I'm down in London I'll hang around Hackney or Bow and somehow try to get tuned into Cockney proper...but that's such a long shot......from my experience of London, Cockney is pretty much a minority accent in the multi cultural cosmopolitan metropolitan morass that is London.
Ed   Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:04 pm GMT
I think you are more likely to hear some Bangla-infused patois in the old East End these days.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:06 pm GMT
It can be quite anoying living in a tourist city Damian, I know. The amount of times ive heard "quaint". The Minster is supposed evoke feelings of awe and wonder...It's not quaint!!! To be honest I cant see the American-Cockney connection. Australian-Cockney for deffinate, If you've ever known a southener thats spent any time down under, you will know that they come back with the accent. One lass i know still has the accent! she was there for a couple of years though.
Oh yeah, What accent is it on Neighbours? It doesnt sounds overly Australian to me.
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
So the accent on Neighbours doesn't sound Australian, hmm... then American?
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
>>And American sounds like Cockney without getting overly specific. :-)

Ooh, no, you're gonna need to get specific: what parts sound similar? <<

I didn't want to get specific because parts change everything!
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:24 pm GMT
I didn't mean the Neighbours accent wasn't Australian. I meant it was kind of British in a way. You forget your watching convicts in other words. ;) hahaha
Guest   Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 am GMT
That's Prisoner: Cell Block H from the 1980s. Or did Neighbours manage to hire colonial purebloods?
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:21 am GMT
I was kidding about the convicts. Australians are allright..apart from the occasional racism.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:22 am GMT
I've never seen Neighbours, but if it helps add to the general confusion, there's an American prison series called Oz....
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:28 am GMT
Uriel, You should count your blessings. Its one of those utterly shite, yet highly addictive soaps. Basicly a load of middle-class (with the occasional stereotypical working-class person) ozies divorcing each other, stealing from each other, and they all seem to fall ill or have accidents at the same time ( i think the hospital set can only be used 2 months of the year). And now they are trying to make it more like Eastenders, so they are killing each other, and having massive disasters.

If you appear in Neighbours, you either become a pop singer or film star.Or you move to the UK to try and get a job because us Britons love the characters. Or like Joe Skully, the only job you can get is an extra in a Sheilla's Wheels advert.

Famous cast members include, Kylie and Danni Manogue, Russel Crowe, Natalie Imbruglia, I bet Nicole Kiddman was in it at some point. Chase from House was Billy Kennedy in neighbours (I seem to remember him coming out when he moved to the UK) Ive spelt their names wrong, and probably missed a few off the list.
Guest   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
Neighbours hasn't aired in Australia for the past decade. Hardly anyone watches it, as confirmed by the ratings. But they keep making episodes. Is that because it's still shown in Britain?
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:39 pm GMT
Soaps are all the same the world over, aren't they? ;) When I was a little girl I remember watching Brazilian soaps with my grandmother. Since I didn't speak Portuguese, I made the mistake of asking her what was going on. "Well, this girl's in love with that man, but he's married to this other woman, and she's--"

I just read recently that Latin American novelas have just become the highest rated TV shows in the world. Why am I not surprised?