Languages in the EU

Guest   Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:35 pm GMT
I refuse to join any forum that would have me as a member.
Guesto   Thu May 01, 2008 12:58 am GMT
<< But you'll have to admit that German looks great as a written language. All those umlauts and unexpected h's everywhere. It's far classier than English. >>

I think those things make it look ugly.
Aspiring AAS member   Thu May 01, 2008 3:09 am GMT
<<<< But you'll have to admit that German looks great as a written language. All those umlauts and unexpected h's everywhere. It's far classier than English. >>

I think those things make it look ugly. >

But the umlaut is nice and symmetric and has a "cool" look to it, unlike most of the accents found in French and Spanish, for example.

There used to be something called the American Umlaut Society. I wonder what happened to them -- they don't seem to have much of a web presence anymore?
Skippy   Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 am GMT
In many varieties of English it may be appropriate for umlauts to be adopted. However, the vowel fronting of many dialects exhibit complimentary distribution, thus the pronunciation of the word "food" as /fyd/ or /f}d/ (how I tend to pronounce it) is not distinct from /fud/.

On this note, one of my German friends commented on how I consistently said /klYg/ rather than /klUg/.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 8:39 am GMT
Antimoon is the best language discussion site, because there are some really interested and educated people discussing here, and discussing anonymously in full freedom. Trolls etc. bring some life into the scientific debates, and they are by far better than personal attacs like in Langcafe (e. g. André´s behavior against Paulette) and other registration sites.

Long live Guest, K.T., greg, Skippy, JLK, PARISIEN, Brennus, Colette, American etc.!
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
"But the umlaut is nice and symmetric and has a "cool" look to it"
Symmetric is not nice and cool, it is the asymmetricity of the golden cut that is nice and cool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 3:05 pm GMT
So, it's André in South Africa a Pedophile or not?
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
Who is Paulette?
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
I expect Guest meant Pauline. She was as mad as a hatter but her posts were the best, really entertaining and funny plus she spoke quite a few languages. Andre launched a complete character assassination against her which was pretty mean considering her age and what not.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm GMT
Andre is a child molester.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 4:59 pm GMT
"Long live Guest"
Why, thank you.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
Yes, Andre is creepy.
aspiring AUS member   Thu May 01, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
<<In many varieties of English it may be appropriate for umlauts to be adopted.>>

Back before computers became so popular, I think the diaeresis was used more in English. IIRC, my high school chemistry book usea a diaeresis over the second "o" in "Coordinate". You'd often a diaeresis in words like:

- oology, oocyte, etc
- zoology
- coop (to distinguish it from coop)
- Bootes
- coordinate
- naive
- vacuum (on occcasions)
greg   Thu May 01, 2008 6:17 pm GMT
Andre van Zuid Africa aime les petits garcons
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
The real greg would ahve proper French :)accent marks on his keyboard