Languages in the EU

K. T.   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 am GMT
German isn't that difficult for native speakers of English. It may be difficult mentally if you lost family in the Holocaust or if you have negative perceptions of people who speak German. Remember, Swiss people also speak German. The Swiss were neutral during WW II.
Skippy   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:34 am GMT
German is relatively difficult for English speakers. It maintains three genders, two subjunctives, more complicated syntax...

French seems to be easier for most English speakers. In my experience, basic French grammar and basic German vocabulary are more like that of English, while more advanced French grammar and advanced German vocabulary become difficult.

Relatively, German is easy for English speakers, but because most Americans get the impression that one non-native language is more than enough, they never have any reason to compare their third and fourth languages (if they bother to learn them) to their second.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 am GMT
KT you don't need to mention the Holocaust everytime you give your opinion about German.
K. T.   Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:53 am GMT
If I don't acknowledge that, then someone will start an anti-German spiel. It happens all the time. I'm surprised that it doesn't happen when I mention Japanese.

I get unfavourable reactions almost anytime I mention "German"-the language to anyone unless that person has German ancestry. I understand this with the WWII generation, but I also get it from younger people.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 am GMT
What? Are you talking about in real life or on the internet? I've never heard any mention of WWII when talking about German. Are you a Jew or something?
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 am GMT
Now that you mentioned the Jews , I wonder if there exist nazi Jews. What do you think?
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 am GMT
If you want to study French or German, both languages are important.

But there is an important difference. German is ONLY SPOKEN IN CENTRAL EUROPE BY HARDLY 100 MILLION PEOPLE.

Besides, according to demographic factors this language will be less spoken in the near future.

It is the less spoken of the international languages. It is not a UNO World language. So, if you want to work in a World organization you should study French.

The World languages are English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian and Chinese, and not German.
Skippy   Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
Isn't German relatively widely spoken throughout central Europe? Like Poland, Hungary, etc?
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
No, it isn't.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
Yes, it is.
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
The evil and disgusting german is the official language of the nazis, let's wipe it out
Guest   Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
Satan speaks German.
Guesto   Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 am GMT
<< sort of like English on steroids.>>

Ha! That's sort of how it seems to me.

<< German is relatively difficult for English speakers. >>
<< Relatively, German is easy for English speakers >>

Skippy, were you quoting another poster in the first sentence, or did you just contradict yourself?
nobodycares   Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 am GMT
german sounds awful!
Skippy   Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:53 am GMT
For English speakers beginning German is relatively easy, as it gets more advanced it becomes more difficult.