Languages in the EU

Guesty   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:56 am GMT
^ You can probably say that about any languge though. I don't of any language that doesn't become more difficult as you advance.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 am GMT
<< No. Spanish is spoken by some 475-500 million around the World. 100 million people as second language.

Acta Internacional de la lengua española.
http://www.fundacionblu.org/noticias.htm

El País
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/espanol/segundo/idioma/estudia/mundo/Instituto/Cervantes/elpepucul/20070426elpepucul_8/Tes

Universidad de Mexico
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:v5IUdEETu40J:www.lllf.uam.es/~fmarcos/coloquio/Ponencias/MMelgar.doc+22En+el+mundo+lo+hablan+aproximadamente+400+millones+de+personas22+22Adicionalmente+100+millones+de+personas+hablan+espa%C3%B1ol+como+segunda+lengua22&hl=es&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=es

Wikipedia
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_espa%C3%B1ol#cite_note-3 >>

No, I insist the number of native Spanish speakers is 330 million and those who speak it as a second and foreign language is just 20 million. So the total is just 350 million. The links that you posted are created by hispanics and hispanics are notorious in giving wrong information.

There are just 20 million secondary speakers of Spanish and majority of them are in the US. I don't agree with the EU languages article in Wikipedia. They are modified by the hispanics again. Imagine there are more secondary speakers of Spanish in Poland, Germany, Italy, and Portugal than French. More secondary speakers than German in Turkey. And in Sweden the number of secondary Spanish speakers is tied with French at 11% whan there are more speakers of Italian there. Finally there are more secondary speakers of Italian than Spanish in Romania

In addition to this the secondary Spanish speakers in other Eastern is below 1%. Nobody wants to make a research in Wikipedia because of the wrong information posted by the hispanics there.

I really cannot understand that Spanish is part of the entry in the article EU languages at Wikipedia when it should be Italian since this language is more widely spoken in Eastern Europe. It's the number 1 spoken foreign in Albania, Croatia, and Slovenia because of its influence and geographic reasons and it's catching up with German in Hungary and Slovakia and yes more secondary speakers than French there I supposed.

So in my conclusion those data for secondary spansih speakers in those countries were taken by the hispanics from the Italian language and stashed amount form French and German and added it to Spanish.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 am GMT
"No, I insist the number of native Spanish speakers is 330 million and those who speak it as a second and foreign language is just 20 million. So the total is just 350 million. The links that you posted are created by hispanics and hispanics are notorious in giving wrong information.

There are just 20 million secondary speakers of Spanish and majority of them are in the US. I don't agree with the EU languages article in Wikipedia. They are modified by the hispanics again. Imagine there are more secondary speakers of Spanish in Poland, Germany, Italy, and Portugal than French. More secondary speakers than German in Turkey. And in Sweden the number of secondary Spanish speakers is tied with French at 11% whan there are more speakers of Italian there. Finally there are more secondary speakers of Italian than Spanish in Romania

In addition to this the secondary Spanish speakers in other Eastern is below 1%. Nobody wants to make a research in Wikipedia because of the wrong information posted by the hispanics there.

I really cannot understand that Spanish is part of the entry in the article EU languages at Wikipedia when it should be Italian since this language is more widely spoken in Eastern Europe. It's the number 1 spoken foreign in Albania, Croatia, and Slovenia because of its influence and geographic reasons and it's catching up with German in Hungary and Slovakia and yes more secondary speakers than French there I supposed.

So in my conclusion those data for secondary spansih speakers in those countries were taken by the hispanics from the Italian language and stashed amount form French and German and added it to Spanish."

Nothing that you said is true, otherwise prove it with sources. Hispanic haters are notorious in giving wrong information because they suffer from pathologic envy.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 am GMT
" Nothing that you said is true, otherwise prove it with sources. Hispanic haters are notorious in giving wrong information because they suffer from pathologic envy. "

Why don't you research the google or yahoo using the keywords. It's true that hispanics alter the information posted on wikipedia because now you see the information tomorrow you don't and it's already in favor about the hispanics. We're not hispanic haters and we're not envious it's you who are because you love to change what's true in favor of Spanish language.

For instance, how could there be more non-native Spanish speakers in Turkey than German when there are more non-native speakers of the latter than English in that country? How can non-native Spanish speakers outnumbers French in Germany when the French is required there in secondary while Spanish is just optional? Same thing in Italy, Portugal, Poland, and Sweden? These are all lies. I'm gonna post data from other sources with a link not found in wikipedia in which everybody can modify and post misinformation like what the hispanics are doing. because of you the credibility of Wikipedia is being ruined.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:21 am GMT
THE LANGUAGE BARRIER

You are presumably resigned to the fact that hardly anyone outside your native country is likely to speak your native language. I once asked someone in Skoda Photo in Prague if he spoke English. "No," he said. "Do you speak Czech?" You may however imagine that English or German will always be enough.

Although English is probably the most useful language world-wide (see also the section on Language), it is by no means universally spoken -- though the more expensive the hotel or restaurant, the more likely it is they will speak English, so if money is not a problem, English may indeed be all you need.

English probably is the most useful second language in much of Europe, but in Portugal we have found French more useful, while in Spain (away from the holiday resorts) and in much of Central and Eastern Europe, German is understood far more widely than English.

In France, you really need to speak French. Many French people genuinely cannot speak even basic English, despite having been taught it at school, and even if they can, they may well choose not to. They will be more willing to speak bad English to you than they would to a native English speaker (the French hate to show themselves in an unfavourable light), but in 'la France profonde' -- 'deep France', where we live -- they may well speak only their native tongue. The only real exception is border areas, where you may find German or Spanish or at least Catalan.

Even more, you need to speak English in Britain and the United States. You may be able to find a few people who can follow French in England (though very, very few in the United States) but German will be next to useless. It is not even widely taught.

http://www.mctie.com/easterneurope.html

Conclusion: French is more useful than English in Portugal and Spain. In Italy too and more so in Romania.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:23 am GMT
THE LANGUAGE BARRIER

You are presumably resigned to the fact that hardly anyone outside your native country is likely to speak your native language. I once asked someone in Skoda Photo in Prague if he spoke English. "No," he said. "Do you speak Czech?" You may however imagine that English or German will always be enough.

Although English is probably the most useful language world-wide (see also the section on Language), it is by no means universally spoken -- though the more expensive the hotel or restaurant, the more likely it is they will speak English, so if money is not a problem, English may indeed be all you need.

English probably is the most useful second language in much of Europe, but in Portugal we have found French more useful, while in Spain (away from the holiday resorts) and in much of Central and Eastern Europe, German is understood far more widely than English.

In France, you really need to speak French. Many French people genuinely cannot speak even basic English, despite having been taught it at school, and even if they can, they may well choose not to. They will be more willing to speak bad English to you than they would to a native English speaker (the French hate to show themselves in an unfavourable light), but in 'la France profonde' -- 'deep France', where we live -- they may well speak only their native tongue. The only real exception is border areas, where you may find German or Spanish or at least Catalan.

Even more, you need to speak English in Britain and the United States. You may be able to find a few people who can follow French in England (though very, very few in the United States) but German will be next to useless. It is not even widely taught.

http://www.mctie.com/easterneurope.html

Conclusion: French is more useful than English in Portugal and Spain. In Italy too and more so in Romania. German is more useful in much of Eastern Europe than English
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:26 am GMT
Zero people in Spain understand German, for your information.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 pm GMT
<<Even more, you need to speak English in Britain and the United States. >>

In lots of places in the US, you'll need Spanish, not English. If you look hard enough, you'll find at least a few English speakers in most areas, though.
Guest69   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
El idioma español es hablado por unos 500 millones de personas en el mundo, de los cuales unos 100 millones lo hablan como segunda lengua.

Respecto al Guest francés que no se cree los datos de Wikipedia, me parece bien que desconfie de datos que no sean completamente seguros. En eso estamos de acuerdo.

No obstante, estos datos están confirmados por el Instituto Cervantes, el Gobierno español, la Universidad de México, etc.

Si desconfias de datos oficiales, ¿por qué deberiamos nosotros confiar de los datos que da la Francophonie o el Gobierno francés?
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
Pero si en Francia es precisamente donde más se habla español de toda Europa. El 32% de los franceses habla esañol, sólo el inglés es más popular en Francia, pero sólo un poco (un 34% habla inglés). Aunque teniendo en cuenta que el español es una lengua romance no es de extrañar que ese 32% hable mejor el español que inglés el 34% que habla inglés. Tiene gracia que un francés diga que en Europa nadie estudia español cuando en la propia Francia es casi la lengua más popular incluso codeándose con el todopoderoso inglés. Yo más bien creo que no eres un francés, porque esa subnormalidad profunda apunta al otro lado del Atlántico.
McPhaughan   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm GMT
<<Pero si en Francia es precisamente donde más se habla español de toda Europa.>>

Don't they speak a lot of Spanish in Spain, too? How widespread is Spanish in Andorra, Portugal, and Gibralter.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
I think that he referred to people who speak Spanish as a foreign language since it's obvious that Spanish is more spoken in Spain than in France.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
<<I think that he referred to people who speak Spanish as a foreign language since it's obvious that Spanish is more spoken in Spain than in France. >>

Isn't there also a lot of Basque, Catalan, Gallego, etc. in Spain -- perhaps these languages are gainig popularity in Spain at the expense of Spanish?
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
Isn't there also a lot of Basque, Catalan, Gallego, etc. in Spain -- perhaps these languages are gainig popularity in Spain at the expense of Spanish?

There is a strong political movement around these languages, but Spanish is still the most spoken language in Catalonia and Basque county. In fact one century ago Spanish was almost not spoken in Catalonia, only Catalan. Spanish was introduced there by big waves of migrants from the south of Spain, just like the Hispanics in US but a lot more agressive in relative terms since Catalonia was much less populated then and migrants became the majority very fast. Nowadays 60% of Catalans carry Spanish surmanes and speak Spanish whereas 40% of people speak Catalan natively.
The situation of Spanish in these parts is similar to that of English in Scotland or Ireland, despite there are more official languages there, English is more commonly used.
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 pm GMT
"Zero people in Spain understand German, for your information"-Guest

I certainly didn't hear anyone speaking German except Germans there. I suppose that in bigger hotels, they do, but the Germans I heard in the Plaza Mayor were speaking Spanish (and bartering!).