Languages in the EU

Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:45 pm GMT
People in Spain feel that English is already too hard to learn also a pure Germanic language which has much less cognates and a more complex grammar than English, so they stick with English and don't try to learn German, despite the Germans appreciate a lot those who speak German whereas for a native English speaker that someone studied English means nothing to him/her, even more , a native English speaker always assume that everyone speaks English. One day, in Madrid, in my own country a foreing girl , an American I guess, adressed me in English as if English was a the official language in Spain or something like that. She wanted to know who did the public phones function. Of course I didn't answer her and kept on walking.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:50 pm GMT
what have you fucking said???? oh wait... nobody cares
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
Sorry, my English quite messy. Anyway I'm not desperated to speak it properly.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 pm GMT
fucking hordes of germans and english invade every year the Mediterraneum to stuff themselves of real food and trying desperately to give their pasty asses an healthy colour
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:59 pm GMT
How to usually avoid the cold response:

1. Learn to say the following:
"Excuse me, do you speak English?" in the LANGUAGE of the country. Learn that phrase, "please", "thank-you" and "help". Got another fifteen minutes, learn "I would like" and "I need a doctor." "Call for help." and "Where's the restroom/bathroom/W.C.?"

2. Don't wander away from your tour group or spouse/friend who is multilingual.

3. Carry a phrasebook and look at it before you need it.
K. T.   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 pm GMT
Tourism is good for the economy, though.
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:09 pm GMT
Sorry but I felt irritated.
Russian Kop   Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
The most important language will be Russian
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:06 am GMT
The most important language will be Russian>>

Никогда. Не говори глупости. Россия - говно.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:04 am GMT
<< El idioma espaƱol es hablado por unos 500 millones de personas en el mundo, de los cuales unos 100 millones lo hablan como segunda lengua.
>>

There are just 20 million secondary Spanish speakers all over the world and most of them are in the US and even there, they are mostly 2nd generation hispanics whose first language is English not Spanish.

The report made by Instituto Cervantes are crap and inaccurate.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 am GMT
French is widely spoken in Spain and in fact more people are more comfortable using it than English because of it's huge similarities with Spanish even if they did not studied it in school they can carry a converstation in it.

On the other hand, majority of the 34% English speakers and 32% speakers of Spanish in France could not carry a conversation that they studied in high school although they do got a high grade but all they want is to graduate because studying a foreign language of your choice is mandatory in France. A survey was made on this and using those data you can come up with a conclusion that they didn't really take those 2 languages seriously because all they want is a PASSING GRADE to graduate.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:25 am GMT
Russian is regaining its prestige in Eastern Eutope now that Russian economy is stable and booming again. Eastern Europeans can't just discard Russian because Russia just lies next to their countries. Where are they gonna get the oil and gas? From Siberia of course. And do you think that Eastern Europeans are gonna transcat their business using English to the Russians knowing that majority of Russians know no English or other foreign languages? No, for etiqutte reasons it would be in Russian after all the present generation E. Europeans are fluent Russian speakers and they have no objections if their children decides to study it. Besides Poles, Czech, Slovaks, Serbs, Craots, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Macedonians, and Slovenes wont's be having a hard time learning Russian since all Slavic languages are so close to each other and yes closer to each other compared to the closeness of the members of Romance and Teutonic/Germanic languages.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:45 am GMT
In addition to their mother tongue, the language most frequently known by Europeans is English (41%), followed by French (19%), German (10%), Spanish (7%) and Italian (3%).

47% of Europeans claim to know only their mother tongue. 81% of Swedes, 80% of the Dutch and 78% of Danes claim to know English, compared with only 39% of Italians and 36% of Spaniards and Portuguese.

French is the most frequently known foreign language in the United Kingdom (22%) and Ireland (25%), while German is the most frequently known foreign language in the Netherlands (68%), Denmark (42%) and Sweden (36%).

English is the first foreign language most used by Europeans (70% in Sweden, 66% in Denmark and 47% in Finland, with an EU-15 average of 33%). Second comes French (19% in Italy, 17% in the United Kingdom, 14% in Portugal and 10% in Spain and Ireland, with an EU-15 average of
10%), third German (28% in the Netherlands and 18% in Denmark, with an EU-15 average of 4%) and fourth Spanish (3% in France and the United Kingdom, with an EU-15 average of 2%).

74% of European citizens do not know a second foreign language. However, 8% know French in addition to their mother tongue and their first foreign language, and 7% know English.

Europeans were asked which two languages they thought were most useful to know apart from their mother tongue. In all countries, English was mentioned as the most useful language to know (75%), followed by French (40%), German (23%) and Spanish (18%).

http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lang/languages/barolang_en.pdf

I told that the 32% non-native Spanish speakers in France found in Wikpedia is inaccurate.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 am GMT
In addition to their mother tongue, the language most frequently known by Europeans is English (41%), followed by French (19%), German (10%), Spanish (7%) and Italian (3%).

47% of Europeans claim to know only their mother tongue. 81% of Swedes, 80% of the Dutch and 78% of Danes claim to know English, compared with only 39% of Italians and 36% of Spaniards and Portuguese.

French is the most frequently known foreign language in the United Kingdom (22%) and Ireland (25%), while German is the most frequently known foreign language in the Netherlands (68%), Denmark (42%) and Sweden (36%).

English is the first foreign language most used by Europeans (70% in Sweden, 66% in Denmark and 47% in Finland, with an EU-15 average of 33%). Second comes French (19% in Italy, 17% in the United Kingdom, 14% in Portugal and 10% in Spain and Ireland, with an EU-15 average of (10%), third German (28% in the Netherlands and 18% in Denmark, with an EU-15 average of 4%) and fourth Spanish (3% in France and the United Kingdom, with an EU-15 average of 2%).

74% of European citizens do not know a second foreign language. However, 8% know French in addition to their mother tongue and their first foreign language, and 7% know English.

Europeans were asked which two languages they thought were most useful to know apart from their mother tongue. In all countries, English was mentioned as the most useful language to know (75%), followed by French (40%), German (23%) and Spanish (18%).

http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lang/languages/barolang_en.pdf

I told that the 32% non-native Spanish speakers in France found in Wikpedia is inaccurate.
Guest   Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 am GMT

Who cares what you tell?