Languages in the EU

Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 am GMT
<<<<20% of mediterranean people have brown eyes
40% have green eyes (like me)
20% have blue eyes
10% have red eyes
10 have gray eyes.

In Sweden for example everybody have blue eyes. They look all the same like the Chinese. Once you've seen one, you 've seen all them.>>

Quelle blague... Mediterranean people have almost exclusively brown eyes, and dark ones at that. With most of them you can barely see the pupils...
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:54 am GMT
<<Zero people in Spain understand German, for your information.>>

This is supposed to be a surprise? It would be too difficult for most of them. German is one of the most (if not the most) difficult languages of continental Europe.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 am GMT
German is not difficult, it just sounds too much rude and barbarian. That is the reason why nobody studies it in Spain.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:56 am GMT
Russia has weakened the position of Spanish in EU.

English is known as a second language by one third of the EU population. It is followed by German (12%), which has slightly overtaken French (11%) as the second most spoken foreign language in the EU due to the fact that it is widely used in the Eastern European countries which joined the EU last year ;the 2004 enlargement has lifted Russian to the fourth place – tied with Spanish - in the list of the most widely spoken foreign languages in the EU
Herr Wunderbar   Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:28 am GMT
<<Russia has weakened the position of Spanish in EU. >>

I'd rather know Russian than Spanish any day of the week.
JLK   Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:38 am GMT
<<Zero people in Spain understand German, for your information.>>

<<This is supposed to be a surprise? It would be too difficult for most of them. German is one of the most (if not the most) difficult languages of continental Europe.>>

This isn't true. Any Spaniard working in the tourism sector, which is a large chunk of their economy, knows some basic German. As for Spaniards in general, they aren't known for the language skills and rarely speak anything besides Spanish. Perhaps 20-30% speak decent English. With such poor English proficiency in the nation, you can easily understand why the vast majority haven't taken a go at German.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:49 am GMT
Russian has weakened the position of Spanish in EU.

English is known as a second language by one third of the EU population. It is followed by German (12%), which has slightly overtaken French (11%) as the second most spoken foreign language in the EU due to the fact that it is widely used in the Eastern European countries which joined the EU last year ;the 2004 enlargement has lifted Russian to the fourth place – tied with Spanish - in the list of the most widely spoken foreign languages in the EU

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/05/1179&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=fr
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:57 am GMT
Russian has weakened the position of Spanish in EU.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.doreference=IP/05/1179&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=fr
my 2 cents   Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:42 am GMT
anyway in Europe nobody learns Spanish, except schoolgirls and old ladies who watch latin american soap opera
Old Lady   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 pm GMT
I love Spanish.
Luisa   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 pm GMT
I work at the Spanish tourist sector and few people can speak German. Take into account that most of the German speak English quite well so they ask us whatever they need in English or Spanish. This is also true for the Swedish and Norweigans.
guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:47 pm GMT
<<anyway in Europe nobody learns Spanish, except schoolgirls and old ladies who watch latin american soap opera>>

I agree! Only for schoolgirls and old ladies:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3L2QRyBFg3s
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
What's wrong with old ladies? Don't they count? Everybody will grow old and watch soap operas in Spanish. Remember what I say.
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
"
As for Spaniards in general, they aren't known for the language skills and rarely speak anything besides Spanish.
"
Isn´t this true for all Romance speakers, and why is it so?
Guest   Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
"Isn´t this true for all Romance speakers, and why is it so?"

Isn´t this true also for all native English and German speakers, and why is it so?