Official languages of the US

Hans   Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:55 am GMT
Good day

I was wondering why the US haven't declared any languages as their official language of their country?
Kirk   Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:32 am GMT
<<Good day

I was wondering why the US haven't declared any languages as their official language of their country?>>

Interesting question. I don't think we need to. Having a language condoned by an official entity does little to affect how it's actually used in daily life by hundreds of millions of people. I'm an American and actually like the fact that we have no official language. Sure, I'm happy to be a native speaker of English (as are the vast majority of American-born citizens, even those Americans born to immigrant parents in largely immigrant non-English-speaking communities end up with English as their dominant language by adolescence and adulthood), and that's the language I use in most of my daily life (altho I do live in California and sometimes do get to speak Spanish, which I'm fluebt, but not native, in). The US has done fine for over a couple centuries of existence with never having an official language, even with the arrival of massive numbers of non-English speaking immigrants thruout the late 1800s-1920s (there was once a time in the late 1800s when there were so many German speakers in the US that it was the second-most spoken language in the country and many people at the time were worried German would overtake English...that obviously never happened) and then again in the last decades of the 20th century till now.

Many people who seriously advocate that the US adopt an official language tend to be reactionaries who would prefer the US shut its doors to all immigrants (which is interesting, because they themselves are overwhelmingly likely to be descendants of immigrants unless they're 100% Native Americans..and that's a very small percentage of the US). If people looked at the history of humans and human language they would find in most cases that "official status" of a language does little to affect or change how the masses speak or even what they speak. Such a law would overwhelmingly be pointless.

Also, I should point out neither England nor the UK as a whole has ever had an official language either and they seem to have come out ok :)
Leo   Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:25 am GMT
After the War of independence, there was a period after the War to disregard anything that was considered 'British' and adopt 'American.' This got to a extreme point our fore-fathers were considering dumping the English Language and adopting another later only to 'correct' the English Language to what is known today as American English.

But they realized that even with the 'corrections' it was overwheming still English and decided not to declare any Languages as official of the United States. Declaring the 'E' word as official was a taboo subject back then.
Leo   Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:30 am GMT
Probably they should call it 'Americanish'
Travis   Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:40 am GMT
American English is not some kind of deliberately "corrected" version of English, it's just the dialects of English which happened to be natively spoken in the British Colonies in North America south of Canada at the time, descended directly from various dialects in the UK spoken in the 1600s just like the English English of the time. It just happened that beyond the eastern coast of what was or would become the US, there was little influence from the non-rhotic presige dialects of southeastern England, due to being in little direct contact with trade and like with England, and at times more influence from the dialects of northern and western England, due to immigration from those parts of England, so hence many American dialects happened to differ significantly phonologically from the prestige English English dialects, although at the time they did not necessarily vary from *all* English English dialects that much.
Leo   Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:28 am GMT
LOL Sorry Travis I was not implying that the Spelling of the English language was 'incorrect' but was 'corrected' for the American Accents. I'm sorry if my message confused you.
Travis   Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:43 pm GMT
Well, it never was really "corrected" for anything, just modified a bit on purely an orthography level. Were it "corrected" for some given North American English dialect (well, more specifically, my own), it'd probably look something like this:

Wel, it nevyr waz rili "kyrektid" foor enniething, djast maadiffaid a bit aan pjyrli aen oorthagraefik levyl. Wyr it "kyrektid" foor sam givyn noorth amerikkin ingglisj daialekt (wel, moor spessiffikli, mai oon), id praababli luk samthing laik dhis:
Adam   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
I heard Arizona tried to make English an official language, but failed.

I think if there is to be an official language in the US, it will be an official language of a certain state, not the US as a whole. Each state is free to decide its own affairs as semi-independent "nations."
Adam   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
The changing in America of the English language has nothing to do with the War of Independence.

It was the Puritans who started to create their own version of English in North America.

Also, I think it was unfair of the colonists (who were British, remember) to want independence because they didn't want to pay taxes to the British Government. They obviously didn't realise that the British who lived in Britain paid about 12 times as much in taxes to the Government as those British who lived in the Colonies.
Cro Magnon   Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:00 pm GMT
What is an "official" language? I consider it to mean that government uses that language, and anyone interacting with the government has to use that language. However, all those Spanish signs I see in my neighborhood are NOT put up by the government. They are put up by businesses that see profit in catering to the Spanish-speaking people. Having an official language would make no difference; businesses will employ Spanish-speakers, and advertise "Hablamos Espanol" as long as they see profit in doing so. Money is the most official language there is!
Kirk   Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:57 pm GMT
<<However, all those Spanish signs I see in my neighborhood are NOT put up by the government. They are put up by businesses that see profit in catering to the Spanish-speaking people. Having an official language would make no difference; businesses will employ Spanish-speakers, and advertise "Hablamos Espanol" as long as they see profit in doing so.>>

Good point. A true "free market" also includes the free use of whatever language the market requires.

One side note: I do see official governmental signs here in Spanish and English, because it's just practical. Come to think of it, here's an picture I took of a bilingual anti-smoking sign in the park right by my house:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Summerfairesignsmall.JPG
Jim   Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:30 am GMT
Yeah, there really isn't much meaning in declaring one language official.

"Many people who seriously advocate that the US adopt an official language tend to be reactionaries .." writes Kirk "... they themselves are overwhelmingly likely to be descendants of immigrants unless they're 100% Native Americans..and that's a very small percentage of the US ..." an even smaller percentage of US citizens advocating English as the official language I'd suppose.

Travis is mostly right however the motivation behind Noah Webster's "corrections" was indeed nationalism: "Our honor requires us to have a system of our own, in language as well as government," .
Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
A survey was taken amongst Americans asking them if they think English should be the official language of the US. The results -

87.6% believe English should be the language of the country
9.8% do not believe in an official language
2.6% were not sure
Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 pm GMT
The Issue

Believe it or not, the U.S. has no official language. Does this cause confusion? Should English be the official language? What about Spanish? What should be taught in school? What should be required and what should be allowed and accepted? This issue is heated and controversial.

History

Small patches of "official English" legislation has always existed, but it was never widespread. In the late 1800's California eliminated Spanish language rights and Pennsylvania required English proficiency of coal minors. There was no national English requirement, however, and during World War 11, bilingual education was fairly common.

There was no English proficiency component of the American citizenship exam until 1906, when its implementation because the first major language restriction established at the federal level. Congress had never considered declaring English the official U.S. language until 1981, when a constitutional English Language Amendment was introduced by the late Senator S. I. Hayakawa. The only previous official-language legislation took place in 1923, in a bill that named "American" as the official language of the U.S. The measure never passed, except in Illinois. Later, President Teddy Roosevelt's attempt to "reform" English spelling was met with broad criticism.

Various lawmakers have sought to make bilingual education illegal, including with Ron Unz, a candidate for California governor, and his 1998 Prop. 227, which passed. Prop. 227 reportedly worked well, and led to the learning of English by countless children who could not previously speak English at all. Other states introduced similar propositions, some of which passed.

Case For

Making English the official U.S. language would enable everyone to communicate with eachother, which would:

- Ease communications and racial conflicts, unite the people of America, simplify and expedite matters in education, government, business and other areas.

English-only advocates say that native-language accommodations discourage immigrants from learning English.

Case Against

- Making English the official U.S. language disregards all the Americans who have a different native language and culture. The U.S. is a country of immigrants.

- Where people are unable to speak English, health, safety and other hazards could arise if they cannot get information in their native language.

- Language restrictions would make it difficult for law enforcement officials to question people speaking different languages.

- Having multiple languages would make the U.S. more diverse, interesting, diplomatic and wordly. There are countries where education is trilingual, and children grow up to be trilingual. Is this not a good thing?

- At the very least, if English is made an official language, we should have two official languages, including Spanish, and should do all we can to accomodate speakers of other languages. Sponsored Links

Bush respects other languages, but wants to teach all children English. "The ability to speak English is the key to success in America. I support a concept I call English-plus, insisting on English proficiency but recognizing the invaluable richness that other languages and cultures brings to our nation of immigrants. In Texas, the Spanish language enhances and helps define our state’s history. My fundamental priority is results. Whether a school uses an immersion program or a bilingual program, whichever effectively teaches children to read and comprehend English as quickly as possible, I will support. The standard is English literacy and the goal is equal opportunity - all in an atmosphere where every heritage is respected and celebrated."

Where Governor Kerry (D-Mass) Stood During the 2004 Presidential Campaign:

Kerry claimed strong support for the Latino community. Gov. Tom Vilsack, prospective vice presidential candidate, however, signed a measure in 2002 declaring English the state's official language. This hurts Kerry's credibility on this issue, but in general Kerry is pro-diversity.

immigration.about.com
Travis   Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:02 pm GMT
Adam, though, for said survey, what was the overall sample size and distribution? I bet that's something that you could easily make to be whatever you wanted, as long as you properly tweaked the sample size (by making it smaller), and primarily surveyed people in areas or demographics which are more likely to support such.