The Longest German Thread Ever

Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:22 pm GMT
Ma chère Collette this trite story "I have been in France and they say they are not Latin" has really fed up. You have to understand once for all that this idiocy is said only by idiotic French nationalists, evidently you frequented those people. I have been in France too, I knew a lot of French and I've NEVER heard such a bestiality!! At least by people with primary school...
Every accultured people know how the real facts are. If you want to believe in Asterix you are free!
There are a lot of these pathetic nationalists in France like everywhere.
There are basque in Spain, some northern Italian in Italy etc.
They want to create their own history manipulating real facts... I mean, French arrived to the point of creating Asterix comics who reversed the truth! It's enough to say this. Just a banal example, but a French student said me that some tachers in university manipulate real historical facts.
France is Roman (if you mean "latin" in this exception) and there were not more Germans than in Italy or Spain, just to mention their neighbours.
There are French people who say they are Latin and other not, there are Italians who say they are Latin and other not etc. There are English who like saying they are Latin and other not... SO ???
Everyone say what he likes the most apart from real history and real history says that Paris (like London) was founded by Romans, the Germanic tribes was almost erased (they came AFTER the Roman Empire like in Italy and Spain), the 99% of culture and way of life in France is Latin, they speak a Latin language, the ancient roots are Latin, the closest country for centuries in culture/language is Italy etc. etc. If we want to talk about fairy tales is another thing.
So don't post again this little story because it got very boring and above all nobody is interesting in it.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:34 pm GMT
Ma chère Collette this trite story "I have been in France and they say they are not Latin" has really fed up. You have to understand once for all that this idiocy is said only by idiotic French nationalists, evidently you frequented those people.

Really? The French identity is based to a big extent in the wars they had against Germany. France and Germany were the two European rivals par excellence, so if the French are not Latin, I guess that those French nationalists believe that they are Germanic! What a joke. According to my point of view, the French are in general quite Latin, even in North France the people's mentality and way of living are quite different from that of the Dutch or Germans. For example they drink wine rather than beer. They have a elitist mentality and individualistic rather than folkish, and so on. Not to mention Souther france which is deeply Mediterranean. Also it can't be ignored that French is in the end a Latin language, not Germanic or Celtic or whatever you want.
Probably Colette only talked with weird frogs not normal people and she had a wrong impression. It's like if a foreigner was told by a Basque separatist how Spain and Basque country are, probably he or she would be told a distorted version of reality.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
So much about German thread. LOL
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 pm GMT
It's the same thing I said.....
The idiocy is that nationalists say French are not Latin.
What did you read?
The refined food culture, the arts, the cult of beauty, the science etc.,
If I understood from what C. wrote she is an American and it's normal she has a deeply distorted version of reality, but obviously I'll be pointed as a racist having said that. So let's pretend I've never said it
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:30 pm GMT
Colette has a distorted perception of everything because she abuses from drugs, not because she is an American.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:15 pm GMT
American women are absolutely the most attractive :-P but anyway, in my experience most women in Europe under 30 do shave their arms, legs, etc. (and more so in Germany than other places...like France... or Italy...) but not as many women as in the US.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:24 pm GMT
If you like the obese type, snotty and greedy I agree with American women :)
Concerning German shaving evidently you have never seen German women at the beach....
In Italy and France women do shave, German women are a bit too sasquatch
Colette   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:27 pm GMT
<<Ma chère Collette this trite story "I have been in France and they say they are not Latin" has really fed up. You have to understand once for all that this idiocy is said only by idiotic French nationalists, evidently you frequented those people. I have been in France too, I knew a lot of French and I've NEVER heard such a bestiality!! At least by people with primary school...>>

Very funny, he was a professor at a university in Bretagne. His brother is also a professor at the University of Paris.

As I've said before, I was shocked, because in America we are always taught that French is a "Latin country." He said people who think French is like Spain and Portugal et al. were ignorant for not knowing this. haha

<<France is Roman (if you mean "latin" in this exception) and there were not more Germans than in Italy or Spain, just to mention their neighbours.>>

Yes, the Germans were everywhere. Point taken. But a northern attitude never took hold in Italy or Spain. You don't see the French closing their shops for several hours each day. Ca, c'est sur.

<<There are French people who say they are Latin and other not, there are Italians who say they are Latin and other not etc. >>

Now this I would be even more shocked to hear than with French people. Do you have examples? I cannot even imagine an Italian ever claiming to be "Germanic" unless they had recent ancestors from the regions.

<<Everyone say what he likes the most apart from real history and real history says that Paris (like London) was founded by Romans, the Germanic tribes was almost erased (they came AFTER the Roman Empire like in Italy and Spain), the 99% of culture and way of life in France is Latin, they speak a Latin language, the ancient roots are Latin, the closest country for centuries in culture/language is Italy etc. etc. If we want to talk about fairy tales is another thing.>>

Yes, I could see if you disagreed with the statements by these French people, but you seem to get angry about it. Why? Why do some Antimoon people get so upset when they hear that some Frenchmen prefer to distance themselves from "Latin" countries/peoples? If you were honest, you would admit that the French have more in common culturally with Germans and English people than Spanish and Portuguese.

<<So don't post again this little story because it got very boring and above all nobody is interesting in it.>>

Apparently *you* are interested in it. haha You just posted a lengthy diatribe (twice) in response to my anecdote that was not even related to you in any way.

But anyway, maybe you can make a new thread about this if you are interested -- this one is supposed to be about German.

Also, you are welcome to post it at Langwelt if you like -- no one will delete it, and we welcome everyone as long as they treat other posters with respect.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
Go and tell a French from Nîmes that he has more in common with the Germans than with the Spanish, stupid bitch.
Colette d'Allemagne   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:32 pm GMT
<<American women are absolutely the most attractive :-P but anyway, in my experience most women in Europe under 30 do shave their arms, legs, etc. (and more so in Germany than other places...like France... or Italy...) but not as many women as in the US.>>

That has been my experience too, Skippy. I would even say under 40, for the most part. I've been to German beaches, Italian, etc. Maybe during our parents' generation this was true, but no more.... the guy who wrote that must be old haha
Colette   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 pm GMT
<<Really? The French identity is based to a big extent in the wars they had against Germany. France and Germany were the two European rivals par excellence, so if the French are not Latin, I guess that those French nationalists believe that they are Germanic! What a joke.>>

As I've said many times, I thought it was ironic, yes. My point is not that they are "Germanic" and that they are not Latin at all -- it is that they are like the crossroads of Europe. Of course you could argue that people are mixed everywhere in Europe, and you'd be right, but France seems to be the most mixed of all.

<<According to my point of view, the French are in general quite Latin, even in North France the people's mentality and way of living are quite different from that of the Dutch or Germans. For example they drink wine rather than beer. They have a elitist mentality and individualistic rather than folkish, and so on.>>

Yes with the wine, but I never thought of the elitist vs. folkish thing before. That's an excellent point. Having said that, though, I've met plenty of elitist English people and non-elitist Latin people (many Spanish-speakers in my neighborhood, for example). So to me, the most elitist nations of Europe are by far France and England -- do you disagree? Still, I know what you mean about the folkish thing and definitely the beer vs. wine thing.

<<Not to mention Souther france which is deeply Mediterranean. Also it can't be ignored that French is in the end a Latin language, not Germanic or Celtic or whatever you want. >>

Of course you are right regarding southern France. Whether it's fair or not, most people consider mainstream French culture to be stemming from Paris.

Bottom line, I am not saying that they are not Latin at all -- I wouldn't think that. It's just that they seem to be less Latin than the other ethnic groups in their language family.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:52 pm GMT
If the Frenchies wanna be Germanic, good for them, curiously the English try so hard to prove that English is a Romance language lol, curious, ain't it?
Colette d'Allemagne   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:12 pm GMT
<<If the Frenchies wanna be Germanic, good for them, curiously the English try so hard to prove that English is a Romance language lol, curious, ain't it?>>

Yes, it is curious. haha It's weird, I studied Latin for five years before I had any other foreign language experience and my Latin teacher said that 60% of the English language is based on Latin. Still, I consider English to be firmly in the Germanic family, mostly because of the structure of the language and because the basic vocabulary is very Germanic. For example:

The man sees a cat. (English)

Der Mann sieht eine Katze. (German)

My hand is cold. (English)

Meine Hand ist kalt. (German)

It's when you get into more advanced English vocabulary that the French/Latin starts showing up, mainly because of the Norman invasion, when all legal and courtly affairs in England were conducted in French only.

At least now the thread is heading back into the Germanic realm haha
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:53 pm GMT
I started reading your post and I wonder where can be such “ideas”come from… then I read your name and everything was clear.
I believe that those foolishness come from some politicized professors! They are the first that say it. This is the proof that being professor doesn’t mean to be intelligent or not to have political views, I think even a child can understand this. Evidently your professor was in the group I said.
I am not surprised at all that in America Latin means Spain! You thought that in South America Latin is spoken, I said all! Yes, you are right, it’s truly very funny. I regret to inform you that Latin doesn’t mean “Spain” and being Latin has general aspects but it can mean different things too.
It’s evidently you were truly shocked: sometimes it seems your mind has not recover yet….
I don’t want to shock you again but “Latin” or “German” doesn’t mean the pile of stereotypes Americans have in mind, and there is not all that difference in European countries.
Forget tunics or helmet with horns! ahah
German were not everywhere, I don’t know what do you mean with “northern attitude which never took” but I could think “fortunately…”.
Yes, you do not see the French closing their shops several hours a day because they have already closed their shops much earlier than in Italy or Spain, evidently you are not well informed: French have the shortest working hours in Europe. Ca c’est encore plus sur. So what?
What is the relation with shop timetables with this subject it’s an enigma which only your reasoning process can understand.
Personally I cannot even imagine a French ever claiming to be "Germanic" as well.
Also considering France is a pretty nationalist country and it was always in war with Germany it’s even more surprising you heard such a thing.
First you totally agreed with the Latin roots of France and then you go on with your foolish thesis.
It’s quite funny you chose England and Germany which were almost always hated by French! This is quite ridiculous! While you ignore other countries which had always very close relationships with France. I don’t know what France has in common with Spain or Portugal (much than England and Germany for sure) but I know the brother country of France is Italy, they were always hand and glove, I mean it’s well known (evidently not in America).
Upset? Not at all. If I may get upset it’s because ignorance and not for people statements for sure.
This “French have more in common culturally with Germans and English people” is your idea, only you think that here, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard it in my life and personally I find it simply fool and risible and that’s all. It’s not a matter of being “upset”: it’s simply your idea that doesn’t mean it’s the truth (which isn’t).
To me you can think French are more Chinese than Latin: I don’t think is your statement to be criticized because everyone is free to say every thing (= rambling speech) he wants, but it’s criticizing your (evident) way of thinking to make France appear better than others and (more than evident and creeping racist) attempt to bash Portugal and Spain, which I think it’s quite normal being an American.
You are free to think whatever you want, but at least let’s have the decency not writing “mad professor’s rambling speeches” in a forum and not supporting these “ideas” with more risible ideas. That’s the point. Nobody is angry!

“Apparently *you* are interested in it. haha You just posted a lengthy diatribe (twice) in response to my anecdote that was not even related to you in any way. “

Yes I posted with the (hopeless) hope you finish this litany once for all because it may be the 200th time I see it. You are the only one claiming this absurdities ahah
Anyway... don't you think it's time to post something different?
A new thread about it? I pray nobody can have so much time to waste. I hope this is the last time we see that matter, but I don’t think so.
ca suffit   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
Wannabe French or whatever: change CD, please. We have enough of this music. Try to understand that not all people like France, that not all people like French and less people think French is elitist, refined or whatever crap you learn at school.