Pure english

Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
<<Yes, you enjoy eating the paellas that I spit on before serving them to the british and german tourist. They have an special taste, right?. It's a common practice among waiters in Majorca, so bon apetit!. >>

I think it's a common practice among waiters and food handlers everywhere. Best bet is to avoid restaurants entirely.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 3:16 pm GMT
<Best bet is to avoid restaurants entirely. >

Chinese restaurants are safe.
Josh   Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
What I find strange is that all the proponents of Anglish never seem to acknowledge that none of the Germanic languages (save for Icelandic) are very pure. For instance, the word for "music" in most of the Germanic languages is "musik." Look at any Wikipedia article in a non-Icelandic Germanic language, you'll be able to spot plenty of Latinate words. This is even true of the articles in Frisian, which is supposedly the closest language to English in terms of genetic linguistic relationships. I think this proves that English would have had Latin influence even without a Norman invasion. Also, I doubt that Swedes and Norwegians can read Icelandic or Old Norse much more easily than present day Anglophones can read Old English. I know that Icelandic isn't mutually intelligible with any of the continental North Germanic languages.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
<<We enjoy the fruits of our labors. It's noble Latins like yourself who hand us towels and martinis on the beaches of Mallorca.
>>

And don't forget they park our cars and clean our rooms in LA
guest   Thu May 01, 2008 7:02 pm GMT
<<What I find strange is that all the proponents of Anglish never seem to acknowledge that none of the Germanic languages (save for Icelandic) are very pure. For instance, the word for "music" in most of the Germanic languages is "musik." Look at any Wikipedia article in a non-Icelandic Germanic language, you'll be able to spot plenty of Latinate words. This is even true of the articles in Frisian, which is supposedly the closest language to English in terms of genetic linguistic relationships. I think this proves that English would have had Latin influence even without a Norman invasion. Also, I doubt that Swedes and Norwegians can read Icelandic or Old Norse much more easily than present day Anglophones can read Old English. I know that Icelandic isn't mutually intelligible with any of the continental North Germanic languages. >>

I agree with your statement about the Prononents of Anglish. Personally, I think they're all whacked out of their brains. However, they do acknowledge Latinate words among the germanic languages, and these they deem 'acceptable' according to most sources.

English would *indeed* have had a significant Latin and even French element had there not been a Norman Conquest. The only difference is that it would be much less than what we see in English today. Probably more along the lines of what we see in modern Dutch.

'Music' is not latinate. It's Greek in derivation (Gk 'mousike < Mousa - a Muse)
Josh   Thu May 01, 2008 7:53 pm GMT
<<'Music' is not latinate. It's Greek in derivation (Gk 'mousike < Mousa - a Muse)>>

You're right, thanks for catching that. However, as using Greek or Latin words are both equally unacceptable for the Anglishists, I think the point remains.

And you're right that the influence of Latin on English would have been considerably less without the Norman invasion, but many Anglishists seem to act as if English would have been like Icelandic if the Normans hadn't invaded.

As for Anglishists deeming Latin words in the Germanic languages acceptable, I think they only do this for words that were in English or other Germanic languages before 1066. I don't think they'd consider words like "information," "discussion," "humor," "comment," "nature," "fact," "date," or "special " acceptable despite the fact that they all have equivalents in most Germanic languages.

If their goal is to make English more like other Germanic languages, then wholesale purification would make English more isolated than it is now. After all, we do have Scots as a very close relative and it is equally Latinized as English (in fact, they retain certain French-derived words which have been lost from English). Even with purification, English probably wouldn't be mutually intelligible with Icelandic since I've noticed that the Anglish moot tends to construct words with different Germanic roots than those used by Icelandic.

I don't see why some people can't accept English as it is. The Latinate influences are 800+ years old and are as much a part of the Language as the Germanic ones. Besides, why would one want to make a language be more like another language than itself? Can you imagine Chaucer, Shakespeare, Byron, or Shelley withouth the Latinate influences?
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
I wonder if there's a corresponding "latinist" movement, that seeks to remove as many non-Latin words as possible from English. Perhaps we could even borrow some more from Latin (or Greek, etc.), to replace some of the Germanic ones still in use.
guest   Thu May 01, 2008 8:50 pm GMT
<<,If their goal is to make English more like other Germanic languages, then wholesale purification would make English more isolated than it is now. After all, we do have Scots as a very close relative and it is equally Latinized as English (in fact, they retain certain French-derived words which have been lost from English). >>

Scots is actually not as Latinic as English is, although what you say about older French words preserved in Scots is true.

This is why I do not like the idea of purification:

I believe that we should keep the Latin element in English as is, but *add* to it an increased Old English element at the same time. Who said it has to be all one or the other???

We say "cover" in English (from French), and really, there is no surviving "English" equivalent. (We kinda have "deck" from Low German, but it rarely means 'cover' nowadays, except in "deck the halls").

I would like to see BOTH 'cover' beside 'thetch' (pronounced like 'stretch')--our native word.
Same for:
'push' AND 'thritch' (like 'stitch')
'press' AND 'thring'
'doubt' AND 'twight'
'risk' AND 'plee'
'danger' AND 'plight'

This would *truly* make English a rich language indeed. Currently, it's not as "rich" as we think it is, nor as rich as it could be.
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 8:57 pm GMT
<<I wonder if there's a corresponding "latinist" movement, that seeks to remove as many non-Latin words as possible from English. Perhaps we could even borrow some more from Latin (or Greek, etc.), to replace some of the Germanic ones still in use. >>

Yes. They're called College English Professors and High School English Teachers!

Their modus operandi: VOCABULARY LISTS and QUIZZES

I HATE THEM!

(the quizzes that is)
Celine Dion   Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 pm GMT
Freedom for Quebec. Anglos go home!
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 9:09 pm GMT
<<Freedom for Quebec. Anglos go home! >>

Celina,

¿Porqué se repone usd. para Quebec?

Usd. es mejicana
JLK   Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm GMT
<<Yes, you enjoy eating the paellas that I spit on before serving them to the british and german tourist. They have an special taste, right?. It's a common practice among waiters in Majorca, so bon apetit!.>>

In my experience, spit wouldn't effect the taste of Spanish cuisine. It's rubbish without it.

I must tell you that it gives me great joy that you feel the need to resort to obscenity in order to combat my superior intellect. Please, continue...
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 pm GMT
"I must tell you that it gives me great joy that you feel the need to resort to obscenity in order to combat my superior intellect. Please, continue... "

Get a life, bitch. Also it's the Romanian migrants who serve the tourists, not the Spaniards. These ones run the business and earn a lot of money selling rotten paellas to you, haha. Once a Romanian waiter told me that spiting is the softest thing they do to the paellas, you may have eaten paellas with more fluids...
Guest   Thu May 01, 2008 11:09 pm GMT
I've never heard that Europeans clean rooms in LA!!!! By the way, considering the unbelievable filthy mess of american houses I don't think it's a task a human can achieve
Berget   Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
The last time I wretchedly bought "fine" German patisserie I threw up, I can't even imagine when food it's not fine. wait...Food? have they food?