Pure english

Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 am GMT
Another example of someone who's never been to America ....

Yes sure. As always, you are not even able to conceive that people have a not-wonderful opinion of you.
I don't understand why these cowboys get angry everytime people express a thought.
Are you so shoked to know you are not the most beloved people on Earth?
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 am GMT
this guy is obsessed about Spain.
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 1:31 am GMT
The Germans have the evil inside, that is the reason why they developed the holocaust so carefully. Even when they knew they had lost the war, crematories kept on working and killing thousands of jews without compassion. The Romans were right, they are barbarians and always will. I'm proud to be Latin instead.
Skippy   Fri May 02, 2008 1:58 am GMT
I am always shocked at the ridiculous things people on this board say about my country for, what appears to be, no other reason than simply to be mean. This kind of behavior is unthinkable to Americans...
Skippy   Fri May 02, 2008 2:06 am GMT
Not to mention the racism against Germans...
Josh   Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 am GMT
<<The other germanic languages only have a moderate amount of latinate words, compared to ours. English is so far gone, to the extent that we have more lexical similarity with each of the romance languages ( French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese), than we do with ANY germanic language. MOST of our vocabulary is not of Anglo-saxon origin. That is SHAMEFUL.>>

Well, in the Scandinavian languages alone, there is apparently enough Latinate vocabulary to render Icelandic unintelligible to all of them. I like to think that English's heavily Latinate lexicon is what gives it its unique among the Germanic languages just as Icelandic's nearly pure North Germanic lexicon gives it its unique place among the subfamily. The other languages are somewhere in between the two extremes English and Icelandic form of course, with their own unique features.

But seriously what is so wrong about having considerably more Latinate words than other Germanic languages? Are you suggesting that Germanic words are morally superior to Latinate words?
Josh   Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 am GMT
The Germanic and Romance language subfamilies are both wonderful branches of the Indo-European language families and I think English speakers are quite lucky to have an abundance of vocabulary from both. For you Anglish or pure English proponents, can you honestly say that you wouldn't be sad to lose such beautiful words as "enchantment," "lamentation," "castle," "melancholy," (from Latinized Greek) "delight," "exalt" or "mountain" to name a few?
Josh   Fri May 02, 2008 3:15 am GMT
language family*
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 7:26 am GMT
<<Another example of someone who's never been to America but is going to lie about it anyway. American women are beautiful (especially Texans...) and much more concerned with personal hygiene than any other country on the planet.>>

And you've clearly never been to any other country on the planet!

<<This kind of behavior is unthinkable to Americans...>>

Are you joking? Lol, he thinks Americans would be above trolling on a forum! I bet most of the trolls are Americans.

<<I am always shocked at the ridiculous things people on this board say about my country for>>

I am always shocked that such naive people actually exist.

By the way, Industrial Revolution was BRITISH NOT GERMAN!
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 9:59 am GMT
This kind of behavior is unthinkable to Americans

Yes because they are used to do and to say much much worse
FartWoman   Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 am GMT
I open the slur-session officially
greg   Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 am GMT
Josh & Brennus : pouvez-vous intervenir pour replacer ce salon sans la section monolingue ?
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 11:49 am GMT
Greg,

They didn't do it last time, they won't do it this time. Close up your fucking face!
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm GMT
<<For you Anglish or pure English proponents, can you honestly say that you wouldn't be sad to lose such beautiful words as "enchantment," "lamentation," "castle," "melancholy," (from Latinized Greek) "delight," "exalt" or "mountain" to name a few? >>

No. They would be dearly missed.

But "eacon" (increase), "freign" (question), "steen" (voice), "wiss" (sure, certain), "endquist" (reply, response), "neighledge" (approach), "altue" (complete, perfect, entire), "avestness" (religion), "addix" (lizard), "alieve" (allow, permit) are no less 'lieveworth' (beatuiful)
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
are much less beatuiful, barely watchable