Pure english

An Aesop's Tale in Anglis   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm GMT
*The North Wind and The Sun*

An angry unquietness once broke out between the North Wind and The Sun over which was the stronger of the two. At last, and so as to settle the to-do, it was put forth that whichever of them could make a wayfaring man take of his overcoat, should be looked upon as the stronger.

The North Wind was the first to try, and blew with all his might and main a wild blast icy cold, like a sleetish Skapa Flow storm; but the stronger he blew the more the wayfarer hung onto his overcoat tighter than ever, grasping it with both hands. Then the man folded his arms across his chest to keep the wind from blowing the coat open. The North Wind soughed and sighed until at last he was wholly out of breath.

Then it was the turn of the Sun which smiled down upon the Earth with his warm, welcoming beams scattering the thick mist and fog. Next he warmed the chilly waters of the streams and sikes. And the wayfarer felt the soft warmth and, as the Sun shone brighter and brighter, he sat down overcome with heat, casting his overcoat onto the ground.

Then the Sun was deemed to be the winner, and it has been held ever since that kind words are better than might; and that sunshine , soft and mellow, will lay open a needy man's heart more quickly than a stormy show of strength.

-- The will of Man often is more readily swayed by kindness than might.
Girl Mary   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm GMT
<<<<If we want a really pure English. Maybe we can use some form of runic alphabet instead?>>

--That would actually be fun. We could use Anglo-Saxon Fuþorc.....but i don't think we should drop hindu-arabic numerals though; we don't have to go all the way.--

You can get Runic fonts for your computer as well.

<<While we're at it, I suppose we should eliminate the Germanic words from English, too.>>

--Huh? No, the germanic words belong.>>--

Yes, they do.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 pm GMT
--That would actually be fun. We could use Anglo-Saxon Fuþorc.....but i don't think we should drop hindu-arabic numerals though; we don't have to go all the way.--

WOOOWW I just imagine what a wonderful thing would come out!!
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
That so-called "pure english" isn't even English at all. It's gibberish.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:36 pm GMT
We have to eliminate the German words too and we will have pure English
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:58 pm GMT
The christian science moniter did A similar (and funny) piece in 2003 called "English sans french", during the whole "freedom fries" controversy, replacing french words with ango-saxon equivalents.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0314/p10s02-comv.html

^ This was meant to be a joke, but I actually like the language used to replace the latinate words. For example "falling out between lands" sounds better than "diplomatic dispute'', and "hardship" is better than ''sacrifices''.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
<<two followed by twenty-two naughts.>>

LOL!! This is great.

atom= "uncleft"
element = "firststuff"
nucleus = "kernel"
periodic table of the elements= "round-about board of the firststuffs"

I can't get enough of this!!

I'm all for the systematic removal of vulgar romance words from our speech. I hope this trend catches on.

Somebody mentioned Icelandic before, and they kept their language pure in this exact same manner, by substituting loanwords with created ones made from Old Norse roots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_Icelandic
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
Go ahead, once you have the work done, English will be as studied around the world as Icelandic.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 am GMT
"falling out between lands" sounds better than "diplomatic dispute'', and "hardship" is better than ''sacrifices''.
atom= "uncleft"
element = "firststuff"
nucleus = "kernel"

HORRIBLE

periodic table of the elements= "round-about board of the firststuffs"

AAHAHAH!!!!!

Why don't these repressed ones simply admit that English is a mongrel language?
Fortunately for them latinate words come to elevate this language, rightly they have always been associataed with class and high speech while the germanic words have always implied a low education and an "everyday" language with a negative assumption. Evidently you have an insopprimible attitude towards the gross.
"round-about board of the firststuffs"... AHAHAHH!!! I have not finished yet to amuse myself. Thanks!!
By the way, round is a latin word!
Colette   Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:58 am GMT
<<Then the Sun was deemed to be the winner, and it has been held ever since that kind words are better than might; and that sunshine , soft and mellow, will lay open a needy man's heart more quickly than a stormy show of strength.

-- The will of Man often is more readily swayed by kindness than might.>>

It's so beautiful. Much more poetic and melodic than current, corrupted English. This is as musical as Swedish and German, as it should be.
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 am GMT
--The christian science moniter did A similar (and funny) piece in 2003 called "English sans french", during the whole "freedom fries" controversy, replacing french words with ango-saxon equivalents.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0314/p10s02-comv.html

^ This was meant to be a joke, but I actually like the language used to replace the latinate words. For example "falling out between lands" sounds better than "diplomatic dispute'', and "hardship" is better than ''sacrifices''.--

Thanks for sharing that, Anglish-loving Guest. It was enjoyable. Is that word Latinate? I will check... :) Here is where you can find the Anglish Wordbook:

http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/English_Wordbook
guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 am GMT
<<Latinate words are English! They CAME from Latin but they ARE ENGLISH NOW. If you claim that they are not English then you must also claim Latinate words are not Latinate, but are Indo-European, which are not Indo-European, but are Homo Erectus words, which are not homo erectus words, because they are homo ergaster words, which are not homo ergaster words, because they are homo habilis words, because that's where they come from. God, some people.>>

-----
When leed (i.e. 'people') say "English", they are endbearing (i.e. 'referring') to the inborn or inlandish (i.e. 'native') words of the English theetch ('language').

Amemmor ('remember'), English endstood ('existed') as a tingue ('language') alleipily ('seperately') on its own before it was begnidden ('impacted') by y'Latinode ('Latinate') words and quids ('terms' or expressions') of frempt ('strange') and eltheedish ('foreign') orspraint ('origin').

inwitsarful upcast... ('intriguing topic...')
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:06 am GMT
Oh my god what mongoloids. This 'pure english' look like it was written by a brain dead person.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 am GMT
<<When leed (i.e. 'people') say "English", they are endbearing (i.e. 'referring') to the inborn or inlandish (i.e. 'native') words of the English theetch ('language').

Amemmor ('remember'), English endstood ('existed') as a tingue ('language') alleipily ('seperately') on its own before it was begnidden ('impacted') by y'Latinode ('Latinate') words and quids ('terms' or expressions') of frempt ('strange') and eltheedish ('foreign') orspraint ('origin').

inwitsarful upcast... ('intriguing topic...')>>

How are those words even English? They're definitely not found in English dictionaries, so I'd like to know on what grounds you consider those words more pure than normal English.
JGreco   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 am GMT
Please ....purify English......that sounds as bad as the people who want to kick all the foreigners out of the United States and Great Britain. English without the richness of all the foreign words that was added to the language sounds like baby talk. English is unique and not like any other language because of its influences. It has one the largest vocabularies in the world also because of its influences. Please don't dumb down the language because you want some weird nazi-ish nativist purification of English. No one would ever go for that . Moderator please close this topic before it turns from bad to worse.