Pure english

Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:36 am GMT
Моderator? ha ha ha. No moderators for a while now!
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 am GMT
Just move it to the English forum.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:41 am GMT
The trollery has exploded of late. Even K.T. has posted trollish comments, like that he thinks that Portuguese sounds 'black' and that he 'doesn't believe in moderation'.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 am GMT
I never said Portuguese sounds "black". That's a lie. I don't think you know what "timbre" means. It's a musical term and I didn't say the word "black" at all. I described European Portuguese as a timbre and a type of musical instrument.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:49 am GMT
The sound of European Portuguese reminds me of the kind of wood used for Marimbas. The sound of it reminds me of a Marimba as well.
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 am GMT
<<Please ....purify English......that sounds as bad as the people who want to kick all the foreigners out of the United States and Great Britain. English without the richness of all the foreign words that was added to the language sounds like baby talk. English is unique and not like any other language because of its influences. It has one the largest vocabularies in the world also because of its influences. Please don't dumb down the language because you want some weird nazi-ish nativist purification of English. No one would ever go for that . Moderator please close this topic before it turns from bad to worse.>>

Why is it that if Anglos/Germanic folk long for linguistic integrity it is instantly labelled as "nazi-ish" by the PC types? Would the same be said if a Spanish/Hispanic person wanted to remove the Arabic non-native influence from the Spanish language? I think not. Do you say the same of the Icelandic people who are looking to purify their language (which is actually kind of funny, because Icelandic is about as pure as you're gong to get in the Germanic tongues)? What if French people wanted to remove Germanic elements from French? Would you call them "nazi-ish" too? You people throw that term around way too easily at the slightest whiff of anyone Germanic/Anglo wanting to experience kinship (linguistic or otherwise) on any level.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:50 am GMT
<<English without the richness of all the foreign words that was added to the language sounds like baby talk.>>

English was already a rich language, not lacking anything, without the foreign words that were imposed upon it by invaders.

<<Please don't dumb down the language>>

Would you also say that about other languages that don't use so many foreign words (like Icelandic)? Are they "dumbed down", because of that?
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:00 am GMT
Who cares? I look at English and see Greek, Latin, French, German. I even see Semitic words. I don't care if English is "pure". It's a language, not a holy entity of some kind. Languages can be thought of corruptions of an original language or a fragment of some original tongue. Don't like it? That's my view.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 am GMT
<<Would the same be said if a Spanish/Hispanic person wanted to remove the Arabic non-native influence from the Spanish language?>>

Yes.

<<What if French people wanted to remove Germanic elements from French?>>

Yes. etc

<<Would you also say that about other languages that don't use so many foreign words (like Icelandic)? Are they "dumbed down", because of that?>>

It's too late. They are too integrated into English. Most people wouldn't have any idea whether some of the more slippery ones had Latin or Germanic roots. A lot of people wouldn't know even the obvious ones, because not many English speakers even know French or Latin.

Besides, Latinate words are more frequent in educated writing, so yes, it does sound like baby talk when you take them out.

<<'English is invented by a handful of people'? >>

Come on! Are you saying you would suddenly understand atomic theory if we used Germanic words instead, haha! You guys are gems!
Anglo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:05 am GMT
"Who cares? I look at English and see Greek, Latin, French, German. I even see Semitic words. I don't care if English is "pure". It's a language, not a holy entity of some kind." -- K.T.

That's because English is not your mother tongue.

"Languages can be thought of corruptions of an original language or a fragment of some original tongue. Don't like it? That's my view." -- K.T.

We figured as much. Thanks for sharing your enlightened viewpoint with us Anglo "mongrels" as another anti-Anglish poster put it.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:13 am GMT
<<Besides, Latinate words are more frequent in educated writing, so yes, it does sound like baby talk when you take them out.>>

This only reflects the historical prestige associated with the language of the aristocracy in England (Norman French), with English being the language of the common people, and not because english is inadequate as a language in itself (i.e ''babytalk'' as you say).

Plenty of people (such as myself), are not impressed at all by all the lofty french worlds that riddle the writing of academia, and value the roots of our language.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:16 am GMT
English is my native language.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:17 am GMT
Please, take this to the English forum. They have smart, reasonable people over there, they will help you sort this out.
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:19 am GMT
<<This only reflects the historical prestige associated with the language of the aristocracy in England (Norman French), with English being the language of the common people, and not because english is inadequate as a language in itself (i.e ''babytalk'' as you say).

Plenty of people (such as myself), are not impressed at all by all the lofty french worlds that riddle the writing of academia, and value the roots of our language.>>

Exactly. I find it highly insulting to my people that some would call the authentic English language "baby talk" before it was infiltrated (surely a Latinate word) with Romance language words.

Frankly, authentic English minus the loanwords very much resembles German, only with our own endings. I'm more than sick of the hateful diatribes against anything in the Germanic family, and the word "Nazi" getting thrown around with abandon.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:22 am GMT
<<This only reflects the historical prestige associated with the language of the aristocracy in England (Norman French), with English being the language of the common people, and not because english is inadequate as a language in itself (i.e ''babytalk'' as you say).

Plenty of people (such as myself), are not impressed at all by all the lofty french worlds that riddle the writing of academia, and value the roots of our language.>>

I don't care where those Latinate words come from but I DO know that they describe things damn well, so I will keep using them to my liking. I admit, it could have gone the other way and we'd all by saying 'uncleft' and I would be admonishing you for suggesting 'atom'. That's just the way things go in language so build a bridge and get over it.

Aristocracy? Yeah so that's where they come from, so what? They are so ingrained now it would be impossible to change things.

It is standard language and your trolling is unimpressive.