What is your favourite Romance language?

Xatufan   Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:51 am GMT
Continuing the old chain of forums "What is your favourite ... language?", here is the Romance version.

Mine is Spanish, but I also like Asturian, Walloon and Romanian.
Sigma   Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:00 am GMT
Los mios son: el Español, el Francés y el Rumano.

El Asturiano y el Catalán se me hacen simpáticos, pero no los hablos realmente.
Ed   Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:13 am GMT
Spanish, but I like the rest, as well.
Guest   Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:47 am GMT
I like Spanish, Italian, and Sicilian.

I feel neutral about Portuguese and Latin.

I don't like French, Romanian, nor Sardinian.
Geoff_One   Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:02 am GMT
Spanish
Brennus   Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:56 am GMT
Probably, Romanian. It is the closest to Classical Latin in many ways and still preserves some words used by classical writers like Cicero, Livy, Ovid and Appolonius of Tyre which have disappeared in the Western Romance languages. For example, burã (breeze) and boarã (North Wind) from the Classical Latin 'Boreas' (North Wind).

There is something I have always liked about Catalan too. It has some unique vocabulary all its own just like Romanian. Also, the fact that it has fewer flexions than the other Romance languages is kind of cool as in "Tinc dos gats blancs" (I have two white cats) vs. Spanish "Tengo dos gatos blancos" and "Som soldats del rei (We are soldiers of the king) vs Spanish "Somos soldados del rey."
Carlo   Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:31 am GMT
I don't like any of the Romance languages. They sound insincere and beguiling.
Brennus   Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:26 am GMT
Re: " I don't like any of the Romance languages. They sound insincere and beguiling." --- Carlo

That's all right, Carlo. For instance, my Dad has always liked the Germanic languages best, especially German. He dislikes both the Romance and Slavic languages. Of course, I am almost the 180 degree opposite of him on most things.
Xatufan   Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:27 pm GMT
"For example, burã (breeze) and boarã (North Wind) from the Classical Latin 'Boreas' (North Wind)."

In Spanish we have "borrasca", which is an evolution of "boreas".

(By the way, I don't speak Walloon nor Romanian, but they are the coolest for me anyway).
Brennus   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:03 pm GMT
"In Spanish we have "borrasca", which is an evolution of "boreas". --- Xatufan.

Xatufan,

Maybe but hard to tell for sure. I don't think even any two professional etymologists would agree on this one.

The problem as I see it is that most Spanish words that have -rr- in them or the -asco/ -asca suffix are of Basque or pre-Roman origin (Iberian or Hispano-Celtic) : borro, borrego "lamb', chorro "jet of water' < Basque txortz ) carrasco - a type of evergreen oak etc.

Also, Vulgar Latin short 'o' usually became -ue- in Spanish e.g. corium> cuero , mortus> muerto, nostrum > nuestro, porta> puerto etc. Therefore, normal development of 'boreas' in Spanish should have been something more like *buera which would indeed be close to Romanian burã and boarã if that had happened. .
Brennus   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:05 pm GMT
porta> puerto should be 'puerta.'
Piet   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:07 pm GMT
I like Romanian is to me as a whole is a hidden Romance language unknown to the world unlike it's other cousins such as French, Spanish and Italian.
Probably the mystery that surrounds the unknown cousin probably is the reason it makes me go dong dong dong!!!
Brennus   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:13 pm GMT
Piet,

Your sentiments are my own re: Romanian.

Xatufan,

Come to think of it, French has "bourrasque" meaning a "storm" even "icy storm" which is probably where Spanish got the word from (Maybe through the intermedium of Catalan). It's still a little hard to tell if its an alteration of of Latin "boreas" or a false friend (faux ami; falso amigo) which may have a Gallic (Celtic) or Frankish (Germanic) origin.
Piet   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:16 pm GMT
Yes of course Bennus itsn't this why this thread was created?
For give your opinion on which RL you like the best?
'What is your favourite Romance language?'
Piet   Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 pm GMT
Opps read your posting wrong took it the wrong way.. sorry Bennus
Please ignore the last post made by me.