What is your favourite Romance language?

Serbo-Canadian in China   Sat May 20, 2006 5:14 pm GMT
True. And I've said so above.
greg   Sun May 21, 2006 9:30 am GMT
a.p.a.m. : « Unlike the Romance languages, the Latin that comprises approximately half of the English language is indirectly descended from Latin. Whereas, in the case of the Romance languages, they are direct descendents of Latin. »
Certainement pas ! Si beaucoup des étymons gréco-latins présents dans les langues romanes ont été transmis par l'antiquité en ligne directe, beaucoup d'autres sont issus du médiolatin. Certains ont même été inventés de toutes pièces (y compris à notre époque).

a.p.a.m. : « Most of the Latin features of English are derived from Norman French, when the Normans, under William The Conqueror, invaded Hastings (...) »
Ce qui tu appelles le « Norman French » (c'est-à-dire du français parlé en Normandie) n'a que très peu de rappport avec l'ancien normand et sans doute encore moins avec l'ancien français outremanchais. Assimiler la francophonie outremanchaise médiévale aux « Normands » de Guillaume de Normandie est une simplification extrême.
andiJM   Sun May 21, 2006 9:42 pm GMT
"porta> puerto should be 'puerta.' "

i believe "puerto" is derived from the latin "portus", "porta" in latin means an entrance or door which created the spanish "puerta"
Luis Zalot   Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 am GMT
a.p.a.m wrote;

Classical Latin was heavily influenced by Etruscan and Greek. The Romans borrowed a great deal from both the Etruscans and the Greeks. Not just in language, but in art, architecture, literature, and elsewhere. The Ancient Romans had a great deal of admiration for the Greeks. The Romans were greatly influenced by their Etruscan neighbors as well. It has been well documented that the Etruscans were far more advanced and civilized than the Romans. In their frequent dealings with the Greeks and Etruscans, the Romans simply copied and borrowed from both Greek and Etruscan culture whom they (Romans) regarded as great bastions of culture at the time. The contributions that can be regarded as primarily Roman are in law, government, and civil engineering. The many great Roman edifices, aqueducts, and amphitheaters are testimony of the Romans great contributions in the field of construction and engineering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote;

Agreed.
JR   Thu May 25, 2006 2:18 am GMT
>>Roman Catholicism----Classical Latin

Orthodox Church----Classical Greek

Christianism----German, Scandinavian, (Lutheranism)
----French, Italian, Spanish, (Reformed Church)
----English, (Anglican Commuion)<<<

First of all..
All of the above, are Christianity
Secondly, I do not think either the Catholic Church or the Orthodox Church use the classical versions of their respective languages, at least not all the time.

Protestantism (which you referred to as Christianism) has many, many languages, far beyond the outreaches of German and Sweedish or Norwegian. There are an est. 20,000-30,000 Protestant denominations spread all over the world. I do not think you can pick one respective language, but I suppose if you had to pick you, English would be the choice, since more than half of the est. 20-30k of the denominations are in the United States. .

And the French, Spanish, and Italians are predominantly Catholic.
JR   Thu May 25, 2006 3:12 am GMT
Merci beaucoup!

Vielen Dank!

Grazie mille!

非常感谢!

ありがとうございます!
CHINESE   Thu May 25, 2006 3:13 am GMT
Mr.JR

The post above is from me!
JR   Thu May 25, 2006 7:07 pm GMT
Is the last one japanese?
Serbo-Canadian in China   Fri May 26, 2006 5:07 am GMT
Yes, in faux-JR's/Chinese's post the last text particle is in hiragana, one of the two syllabic alphabets of Japanese, and it reads: "arigatougozaimasu". Usually we write this as two words: "arigatou gozaimasu", or even "arigato- gozaimasu", i.e. replacing the "u" with a dash, because the "u" in "ou" serves to lenghten the [o] sound to [o:], and not to make it a diphtong.
Stefaniel P Spaniel   Fri May 26, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
How long are we going to keep seeing posts on antimoon praising Romanian or running it down? It is a little tiresome, to see the same arguments about whether it is a true Romance language or not, about whether it was 're-latinized' with lots of French words in the 19th century or not. We have read all this before.

Perhaps the thing I have noticed most about Romanian as it is used today is that it has perhaps the highest rate of almost indiscriminate borrowing from English of any Romance language, or almost any other European language I have heard. Walk around a Romanian city today and hear people talking about how they are going to "fac shopping la weekend in un shopping centre tipul out-of-town". Possibly they'll be using their "cardul de credit co-branded" to buy un "notebook" sau un "top", sau un cheeseburger, maybe using un "overdraft.". Whole phrases are borrowed, without any attempt to translate them, when it would surely be quite simple to do so. Laziness, or lack of pride in their language and culture? Or 'fashion' (now slowly replacing 'moda')

Any Romanians have any thought about this? I know English contributes to many languages, but other nations seem to make more of an effort to come up with native equivalents, sometimes to an extreme degree (as with Hungarian, which forms new word often in a way which bizarrely 'shadows' latin etmology) Now Romanians, don't get angry that I mentioned the Hungarians, I am not a Magyar nationalist or anything, it was just ahandy example...
augustin717   Sat May 27, 2006 4:37 am GMT
I've never heard any Romanian living in Romania speak like this. But there might be some. However they would be rather exceptions.
As for myself, I mostly speak my native Transylvanian patois which has none
of the damned neologisms in it. And it wouldn't be easily comprehensible to those whose knowledge of the Romanian language is limited to the contemporary standard form. And it doesen't sound very "Latin"/"Romance" either.
Bertolomi   Sat May 27, 2006 7:16 am GMT
L'arpitan!

L'arpitan, tot-pariér arpetan, est una lengoua romana. Lo domêno linguistico actuèl de l'arpitan (l'Arpitania) s'ètent sur três ètats : la France, la Suisse, l'Étalie.
greg   Sat May 27, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
C'est agréable à lire en tout cas.
Jacinto   Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:55 am GMT
1:Portuguese (Portugal) and (Azores), (Cape Verde), (Sao Tome & Prinpice) and (Brazil)

2: Galician (Galego)

3: Spanish & Castilian and Olivenza

4: Catalan (Northern Catalonia) and (Alghero <l'Alguer>),(Andorra)

5: Sardinian

6:Occitan

7:Mirandese

8: Asturian

9:Leonese

10:Gascon

11: Franco-Provençal

12: Ladino

13: Bagitto

14: Catalanic

15: Livornese

16: Pantesco

17: Italian

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CREOLE ROMANCE ?

1:Papiamento

2:Annobonese (Fá d'Ambô)

3: Papia Kristang

4: Saramaccan

5: Palenquero

6: Chavacano
K. T.   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:37 pm GMT
Here you can hear the fiftieth Psalm sung in Romanian. I wonder how this would sound to someone that doesen't speak Romanian:
http://slujbe-
randuieli.crestinortodox.ro/Asculta__Psalm_50___Manastirea_Putna-217.html

Oh la la. I can figure out some written Romanian, but I could only make out a couple of words and I understand several Romance languages. I don't have any experience with Romanian though. It did sound a little "Arabic" initially to me; however, I listened to another selection and I could pick out more words. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the sounds.

I guess I'd like to hear some Romanian spoken. Even though it doesn't sound immediately intelligible (like Occitan or Catalan) to me, I think, "If it's really latin-based, it can't be too difficult."