What is your favourite Romance language?

Guest   Thu May 11, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
Here you can hear the fiftieth Psalm sung in Romanian. I wonder how this would sound to someone that doesen't speak Romanian:
http://slujbe-randuieli.crestinortodox.ro/Asculta__Psalm_50___Manastirea_Putna-217.html
Johnathan Mark   Thu May 11, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
Coming from an angloparlante point of view, I dislike French and Portuguese because of the nasal vowels. I would have to say that Spanish and Catalan are my favorites.
Aldo   Fri May 12, 2006 2:41 am GMT
http://slujbe-randuieli.crestinortodox.ro/Asculta__Psalm_50___Manastirea_Putna-217.html

Romanian??? This piece sounds like Arabic to me, anybody else? Not a good example of Romanian's language and intonation.
augustin717   Fri May 12, 2006 4:28 am GMT
IGNORE THE CHANT, JUST THE WORDS; ANYWAY, IT DOESEN'T SOUND ARABIC
Guest   Fri May 12, 2006 9:56 am GMT
Ed   Fri May 12, 2006 12:46 pm GMT
> My favourite Romance language is English

Since when was English a Romance language?
a.p.a.m.   Fri May 12, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
English is not a Romance language. It is classified as a Germanic language. However, English is really in a class of its own. English is, in part, Germanic, as well as Latin influenced. English is about 50% Latin. Unlike the Romance languages, the Latin that comprises approximately half of the English language is indirectly descended from Latin. Whereas, in the case of the Romance languages, they are direct descendents of Latin. Most of the Latin features of English are derived from Norman French, when the Normans, under William The Conqueror, invaded Hastings, England in A.D., thereby adding a strong French(Latin) element to the language of the then Anglo-Saxon occupants of what is now known as England.
a.p.a.m.   Fri May 12, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
English is not a Romance language. It is classified as a Germanic language. However, English is really in a class of its own. English is, in part, Germanic, as well as Latin influenced. English is about 50% Latin. Unlike the Romance languages, the Latin that comprises approximately half of the English language is indirectly descended from Latin. Whereas, in the case of the Romance languages, they are direct descendents of Latin. Most of the Latin features of English are derived from Norman French, when the Normans, under William The Conqueror, invaded Hastings, England in 1066 A.D., thereby changing the language of the Anglo-Saxon inhabitants of England from a Germanic language to a partly Germanic language and partly Latin-Romance language.
Tu sacou?   Wed May 17, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
Brazilian is my favorite language.
sima   Thu May 18, 2006 4:34 pm GMT
my favourite latin languages are:
1.Aromanian
2.Romanian
3.Megleno-Romanian
4.Istriot
5.Italian
Fred   Fri May 19, 2006 12:54 am GMT
How can one have a "favorite" latin language? Is it like a football team? Juventus versus Arsenal fans? But if one wants to be silly the logical choice for the favorite latin language should be latin and secondly vulgar latin or italian as popularized by Dante. The others are even more bastardizations of Latin.
a.p.a.m.   Fri May 19, 2006 2:26 pm GMT
Italian is the closest language to Latin.
Serbo-Canadian in China   Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm GMT
Classical Latin was not at all a particularly successful language in any regard. Indeed its speakers felt inferior not only to speakers of Classical Greek, but even to speakers of Etruscan until they conquered their neighbours.

Moreover it sounded much less pleasing to the ear than most modern Romance languages.

So I am very glad to say that the singing Italian (which is melodic in most its dialects) is not really so close to Latin, especially not accoustically. Sure it descends from it, but that's about it.
CHINESE   Sat May 20, 2006 5:51 am GMT
Roman Catholicism----Classical Latin

Orthodox Church----Classical Greek

Christianism----German, Scandinavian, (Lutheranism)
----French, Italian, Spanish, (Reformed Church)
----English, (Anglican Commuion)
a.p.a.m.   Sat May 20, 2006 4:36 pm GMT
Classical Latin was heavily influenced by Etruscan and Greek. The Romans borrowed a great deal from both the Etruscans and the Greeks. Not just in language, but in art, architecture, literature, and elsewhere. The Ancient Romans had a great deal of admiration for the Greeks. The Romans were greatly influenced by their Etruscan neighbors as well. It has been well documented that the Etruscans were far more advanced and civilized than the Romans. In their frequent dealings with the Greeks and Etruscans, the Romans simply copied and borrowed from both Greek and Etruscan culture whom they (Romans) regarded as great bastions of culture at the time. The contributions that can be regarded as primarily Roman are in law, government, and civil engineering. The many great Roman edifices, aqueducts, and amphitheaters are testimony of the Romans great contributions in the field of construction and engineering.