Are Portuguese and Brazilian the same language?

Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 6:21 am GMT
Example of several angolan speakers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4W5Mk6Y97g

...they have a very similar accent to peninsular portuguese.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 6:26 am GMT
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 6:46 am GMT
Yes Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are the same langauge. The hispanic fanatics want to make the world believe that Brazilian Portuguese is a variant of LatAm Spanish and Continental Portuguese as a variant of Iberian Spanish.
Cortes   Mon May 12, 2008 6:47 am GMT
<< Yes Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are the same langauge. The hispanic fanatics want to make the world believe that Brazilian Portuguese is a variant of LatAm Spanish and Continental Portuguese as a variant of Iberian Spanish. >>

Well is basically is.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 am GMT
Oh my god, there are more speakers of Portuguese in Africa than in Europe!
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 8:33 am GMT
<< Well is basically is. >>

Yes basically, LatAm Spanish is dialect of Brazilian Portuguese while Iberian Spanish is a dialect of Italian.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 am GMT
"....I agree with Mr. Peter R. Petrucci, who says Brazilians are Spanish/Portuguese bilinguals..."

You are no Spanish/Portuguese bilinguals, because you do not understand Portuguese!You just understand Spanish.
I will write it once again:
BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE= BRAZILIAN SPANISH= LATIN AMERICAN SPANISH=SPANISH
Spanish speakers from Latin American also understand Brazilian Spanish perfectly. Brazilian Spanish and Spanish from Latin America are mutually intelligible, thus they are one and the same tongue.

The Portuguese language is spoken in Portugal (10 million speakers), in Africa (17 million), and to a minor degree in Asia (0.61 million). The speakers of Portuguese in the american continent are mainly in the USA (about 2.5 Million), Canada, Venezuela, Bermuda and barbados (about 1 million together). The only native speakers of Portuguese in Brazil are immigrants from portugal (but they are a very small number).

"...Angolan Portuguese, is nearly indistinguishable from peninsular Portuguese (especially the pronunciation)...They speak standard European Portuguese, with none of the features of the Brazilian language."

I agree absolutely with you! The same applies to the Portuguese language spoken in other african nations (Cabo Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, e São Tomé and Príncipe). Even in countries like e.g. Cabo Verde and Guinea-Bissau, where creole languages based on Portuguese and african languages are spoken, when they happen to speak Portuguese they use standard European Portuguese.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 am GMT
Strictly speaking there are only 30-35 million speakers of Portuguese
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 11:34 am GMT
Portuguese and not only the Brazilian variant is less different with respect to Spanish than Swiss German with respect to Standard German. Portuguese-Spanish is indeed more than a macrolanguage.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 am GMT
A agree Brazilian Portuguese-Continental Portuguese-Galician-Spanish

form a macrolanguage, similar to Croatian-Serbian-Bosnian-Montenegrin
or Bulgarian-Macedonian or Hindi-Urdu or even Danish-Bokmal
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 pm GMT
You are telling us nothing new. But that is a completely different story, please do not mix things up. Swiss germans speak and understand standard German (Hochdeustch). But brazilians do not even understand (at least that is what they say) European Portuguese and consequently other variants of the language, e.g. African Portuguese. So they do not speak Portuguese.
Loris   Mon May 12, 2008 1:04 pm GMT
Many Brazillians claim not beeing able to understand SPOKEN Continental Portuguese, and not beeing unable to understand CP tout court. Therefore, it's essentially a matter of divergent phonetics, not different languages.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 1:10 pm GMT
How do you think languages diverge and split off into different languages? Because of important enough changes in phonetics. Syntax changes much more slowly.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 pm GMT
An interesting question:

Which language is more useful to speak to Brazilian people? Continental Portuguese, Spanish or English?

Can answer a Brazilian, please.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
"...Many Brazillians claim not beeing able to understand SPOKEN Continental Portuguese..."

Then Brazilians neither understand nor speak Portuguese (nor the other variants of the Portuguese language, e.g. African Portuguese). I do not see any contradiction between your post and mine.