learning Swedish or Norwegian

Glenn   Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:18 am GMT
I learned Norwegian, and it was extremely easy (my native language is English). The grammar and expressions are very similar to English. The grammar of Swedish is a bit more difficult than Norwegian's, but not too much.

Danish is very difficult to pronounce, so you are right to choose between Norwegian and Swedish.
Shrey   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
Hey Glenn,

How did you go about learning Norwegian? What resources did you use? Which kind did you learn (considering there are so many dialects)....Please do keep me updated...thank you...
guest2   Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
Shrey,

While waiting for Glenn to reply, here's a good resource:

http://www.apronus.com/norsk/norsk_links.htm

One of the antimoon authors has a nice set of links for learning Norwegian. (Read his Norsk Experiment, by the way. Very interesting.)

Anyone have a good list for Swedish?
Orang Manado   Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
Glenn is right, Norwegian grammar is generally easier than Swedish, and there is certainly more flexibility. For example you can choose to write "boka" or "boken", as for the verbs you can choose between "kasta" and "kastet", etc.
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:38 am GMT
Norwegian has 2 different writing systems, which is more widely used or more important? Thanks!
Shrey   Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
Hey guest2, thanks for the link. I'll check it out right away...
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:48 pm GMT
<<For example you can choose to write "boka" or "boken", as for the verbs you can choose between "kasta" and "kastet", etc.>>

Makes things more difficult to learn and to read!
Güest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:45 pm GMT
< <<For example you can choose to write "boka" or "boken", as for the verbs you can choose between "kasta" and "kastet", etc.>>

Makes things more difficult to learn and to read! >

It's rather the opposite. It makes things easier. There's more flexibility.
SURINDER PAL   Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 pm GMT
I would like to learn norwegian language. I can speak well but i want to learn grammer. Can anyone help me. Please reply pmsurender@hotmail.com

Thanking you in advance.

Sincere regards,

Surinder Pal
Guest   Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 am GMT
Why Not Danish?
Guest   Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
Güest Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:45 pm GMT
<< < <<For example you can choose to write "boka" or "boken", as for the verbs you can choose between "kasta" and "kastet", etc.>>

Makes things more difficult to learn and to read! >

It's rather the opposite. It makes things easier. There's more flexibility.>>

No, it's annoying! As a learner, you may think that the one means a different thing. How can you know it's all the same?

I don't see the flexibility thingy. If something is consistent, it's good. Flexibility, where no flexibility is needed, makes you unsure about the issue. In the worst case, you can alternate the two kinds of endings by every word or at random.
Lumi   Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:14 pm GMT
I'd really like to learn Swedish but I'm not sure if I should learn it through German or English?

My native language is English, but I speak German fluently. As far as I can tell, Swedish vocabulary is more similar to German than English. I thought that might give me an advantage?? I don't think I will mix them up because I am already fluent in German.

By the way, I think some Swedish pronunciations sound like Mandarin because of the tones!
Guest   Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:50 am GMT
Саакашвили сосет хуй.
suomalainen   Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:29 pm GMT
Dear Lumi,
I have found useful learning a language through a language that is related to the target language and that I know already. In this case the course/textbook probably emphasizes those things that you aren´t yet familiar with, and you can save time when you don´t have to read explanations on things that you understand readily. Thus, German would in my mind be better choice than English as instruction language, if you want to learn Swedish.
Lycka till på studier! Det är roligt att lära sig svenska!

(My ne govorim o Saakashvili zdesh´, tozhe ne o Putine, osobenno ne o ix hue)
Knut Holt   Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:12 pm GMT
I am Norwegian so I can tell something about these things.

Norwegian and Swedish have nearly the same phonology, but some words differ. If you can one of the languages, most things said and written in the other will be understood.

Norwegian and Danish have nearly the same vocabolary, but the Danish phonology is very different. If you can read one of the languages, nearly everything written in the other will be understood. But you must be accustomed to the phonology of the other language to understand the speech.

The grammer of the three languages is nearly the same. Norwegian, however, have three genders as German. Swedish and danish have two, like Dutch.

It is perhaps easier to learn Norwegian and Danish plural forms than Swedish ones.

Danish has the easiest grammer, but the prononciation is very difficult.

Norwegian and Swedish have tunes that give a difference in the meanings of words. Danish have instead a phenonon called "stød", which is a kind of glotal restriction in the middel of a syllable.

(By the way: I do not hate spam as long as it is moderate. I am no spam moralist, and not any other kind of moralist.)

Best regards
Knut Holt