learning Swedish or Norwegian

Earle   Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
Keep'em coming, Knut. I'm enjoying it...
Knut Holt   Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:13 pm GMT
If you learn a Scandinavian language, you should learn it to use it in all Scandinavian countries.

It does not matter very much what language you learn. You should however learn those few words of the other two languages that are different in addition.

It is no problem to speak Norwegian Bokmål with a Swede and mix in some Swedish words when you need it or Swedish with some Norwegian words mixed in.

Norwegian Bokmål have the same pronunciation as standard Swedish.

It is true that the "Norwegian" dialects in Trøndelag is very pecular. But so are also the "Swedish" dialects near this area or the southern "swedish" dialects in the Skåne area.

Perhaps Swedes are more clever to speak standarized with people form other areas that Norwegians.
Guest   Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
I speak a West-Norwegian dialect and I'm prepared to change the way I speak when speaking to Swedes, Danes and people who are learning Norwegian. If I speak to other Norwegians I expect to be understood and only change to more "standardized" speech if the persons really don't understand me. I can't remember ever having had to do that.

As for Norwegians speaking ridiculous good English: I stopped learning the language at school as soon as I had the chance, but still speak much better now than I did then. A few months later I started reading (fantasy) books in English because I didn't want to wait years for the translations. I have studied science in Norway and during the five years I think five of the books we had to read where Norwegian. Three of those for the philosophy course the first semester. All the rest were in English. I also have collegues I sometimes need to speak English to because they don't yet speak Norwegian good enough for any important discussion.
Breiniak   Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
You learn most of the English by watching movies, or listening to music. You learn it by being exposed to and interested in it. School mainly steers your acquired ability to speak English. In my case this is true. I already had a basic in English before learning it on school, along with my classmates.

Officially, schools in Flanders have to make French our second language and English our third, but in practice the level we're taught English is WAY higher than we're taught French. This is due to more enthusiasm for English.

French of course is still a great cultural language and also a great medium for looking up information with too little sources in English. Especially about France, Walonia and other French speaking place I read French sources. German and English are my source for information about chemistry, next to my native Dutch. And so on... :)

Well, to go back on topic, you should look up which of both languages have the literature that suits you best, Swedish or Norwegian. :)
Anna   Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
Hej alla söta människor! Hur går det med ert pluggande?