learning Swedish or Norwegian

Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:12 am GMT
I think the above message is a great example of the Norwegian tendancy of speaking english which is just "too good"

Its ridiculous how well they speak it.

(no offence knut)
Oskars   Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 am GMT
Why ridiculous?
Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 am GMT
Because it's superfluous. There is no need to be so proficient in English unless you are a teacher of it or something. They should learn other subjects which could help them and their country much more, like science. Speaking a language well is not enough to be an efficient member of society, you have to have other skills where you can apply your language knowledge, otherwise you're good for nothing.
guest1   Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:21 am GMT
i disagree with the above message.

I just meant ridiculous because I get the feeling that many Norwegians have a larger vocabulary then a lot of americans.
However, theres something about their style which isnt natural IMHO, its like they try to hard
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:42 am GMT
Eit's peqiz çi Norvijzings ir phaunt eph iteyng sheyt lajk çi dougks zeyt zeyi ir.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:04 am GMT
Hey! everybody here saying it's pretty easy to find a lot materials for learning Swedish online, but i found just 2. i'd like to find any site for learning Swedish where most useful en/ett nouns listed separatedly. this way i memorize them better. anybody can help me with this, please?
dansk   Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:24 am GMT
I'd suggest Swedish: there are more speakers and it's understood by Norwegians and by us Danish too.
Norwegian: No. There's not a standardized form, every region has a dialect (every VALLEY has a dialect) and it's true that you may speak however you want and people must be able to understand you but it also true for the opposite, you must understand every norwegian dialect. Second bokmål norwegian is very easy, it's 99% similar to written Danish, but you will also have to study nynorsk and that's not funny because it has a three genders distinction of nouns.

Eventually, I wouldn't suggest you to study Danish either because we're really in troubles! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
:-)
Knut Holt   Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am GMT
Norwegian bokmål also has three genders, but the difference betwieen masculine and feminine is less than in Norwegian Nynorsk. The flectional system of Norwegian bokmål nouns can be seen in these examples:

The order of forma are: Singular indefinite, singular definite, plural indefinite, plural definite.

Maculine:

(en) gutt - gutten - gutter - guttene : -boy
(en) lærer - læreren - lærere - lærerne: - teacher

Feminine:

(en/ei) skål - skåla - skåler - skålene: little saucer
(en/ei) jente - jenta - jenter - jentene: girl

Neuter:

(et) hus - huset - hus - husene (or husa): house
(et) bilde - bildet - bilder - bildene: picture

Then you can also make a genitive by adding an -s.

These are the main variations. They are pretty much like Danish, except for the slight difference in the feminine nouns. Swedish has much more variations in the plural forms, and the plural forms are not predictable as they are in Norwegian and Danish.

All the three languages have however the complication of vowel alternations in some nouns.

The dialects vary from place to place in all the three countries. Strictly speaking, the dialcts are not Norwegian/Swedish/Danish but rather local scandinavian dialects. Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are the names of the official standards and can be used about a dialect as a geographical tag, but say very little of the properties of the dialect.
Breiniak   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 pm GMT
Nynorsk is still important to learn if you're a fan of Norwegian romanticism. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Knut Holt   Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:17 am GMT
Norwegian Bokmål lies fairly near to the Oslo dialect and many other centrally placed dialects, and is actually the most natural standard for people in many places. Nynorsk is mostly based upon the dialects at the inner and south-western areas of Norway. In many respects Nynorsk resambles Swedish more than Danish. The same paradigma are like this in Nynorsk:

The order of forma are: Singular indefinite, singular definite, plural indefinite, plural definite.

Maculine:

(en) gut - guten - gutar - gutane : -boy
(en) lærar - læraren - lærarar - lærarne: - teacher

Feminine:

(ei) skål - skåla - skåler - skålene: little saucer
(ei) jente - jenta - jenter - jentene: girl

Neuter:

(eit) hus - huset - hus - husa: house
(eit) bilde - bildet - bilde - bilda: picture

Then you can also make a genitive by adding an -s, but it is used less than in bokmål.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am GMT
Someone stop Knut Holt! Please!
Knut Holt   Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am GMT
Sitation: Someone stop Knut Holt! Please!

Don't you like that I contribute with some facts?
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
Yes Knut but it's far too technical, the guy only needed some suggestions to pick one of the two languages. The grammar will come.
But yes, thanks, you're a very intelligent person.
I suppose you're norwegian right?
Knut Holt   Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
Yes, I live in Norway, but I regard myself as Scandinavian. My suggestion is that Norwegian Bokmål is the best choise, and that it is not necessary to care about all variations.
Luca   Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:47 pm GMT
(I'm the one of before)
Well I've studied Swedish for a year now and I think it's quite easy. It's true that some things like the different endings at the plural (-or/-ar/-er/-n/-) are a bit confusing at the beginning but you get used to them really fast and you can mostly guess them afterwards. Regarding the rest, as I already said, the phonology is quite standardized so you shouldn't worry too much about different accents (unlike Norwegian, and Trøndelag accent can be difficult to understand! :-) ) and it's also understood very well by the Norwegians and the Danish too while you can't always say that about Norwegian and you can poorly say that about Danish.
Eventually Swedish has 9 million speakers which is, on the other hand, an amount you can only reach by adding the speakers of Norwegian (4 million) and Danish (5 million).
But whatever scandinavian language you'll choose they're all fascinating.