How do you judge an accent as pretentious?

Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:10 am GMT
Some people consider RP as pretentious. I am not particularly clear about the idea of a pretentious accent. What is it?
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:18 am GMT
I think it has more to do with the person than the accent per se. For example, I generally dislike nasal Statian accents, yet quite often I will find someone who I don't even notice their accent, and later on reflexion about it I conclude that it was because the person, and that their accent was as bad as all others. Some people release an aura which makes all other considerations vanish into the depths of subconscious thought, as though it weren't an issue even in the slightest degree. It happens similarily with people of my own pedigree who speak with accents deemed by me to generally be pleasent but in the opposite sense. These people have nice accents but are horrible specimens of our race, so when I meet them I find them pretensious and this impression alters my psychological mindset in relation to them and makes me percieve their accent as one of gross semblance.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 am GMT
WFT is a Staian accent?
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:22 am GMT
I'm only trying not to cause offense as it has happened before. So I said Statian to differentiate the United States of America from other countries situated in intimate proximity to these regions, such as Canada or Mexico or Guatemala. Although now I wished I never mentioned it because it will distract from the topic. Moderator, feel free to delete my message or edit it by your command.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 am GMT
no one uses it (anywhere)

Not completely true. I do use it as well. Statian means "from United States".
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 am GMT
It would be even worse to hear 'Statian' in spoken speech, because it sounds the same as 'Station'!

You don't like Statians? I guess I don't either, they are dirty and crowded and noisy and the trains are always late. I prefer to get to work in my car.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 am GMT
Since this is a language forum, let's get it straight:

There are two distinct continents in the Western hemisphere, "North America" and "South America"

North America includes the following countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat), Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America.

The people that live in these countries are referred to as "North Americans".

The following countries are in South America and its inhabitants are known as "South Americans":
Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela.

There is no such continent known as "Latin America" anymore than there is a separate continent by the name of "Scandinavia". "Latin America" is just a region of North America is is commonly considered to be everything south of the United States.

Americans (minus the "North" of "South") are citizens of the United States. There is no reason why anyone should be offended. "Statian" however is offensive, as it comes across as a euphemism, which by definition implies that something is "inferior" and needs to be called something to make is sound better. (Maybe some people think that it's "ok" as long as it's only US citizens who are being offended. But of course only an "intellectual" would ever think such a thing)

Not to get OT, but the use of the term "African American" always annoyed me for this very same reason. Every time they call themselves that it always sounds like some kind of admission of inferiority, which is not the case.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:52 am GMT
It's you that got offended, we have to make a survey to say "Statian is offensive" properly.
stop hijacking   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 am GMT
OK THANK YOU.

BUT NOW THE DISCUSSION OF THIS STATIAN BUSINESS HAS ENDED!

RETURNING TO THE TOPIC:

<<
Some people consider RP as pretentious. I am not particularly clear about the idea of a pretentious accent. What is it?
>>
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:54 am GMT
Statian is not correct. The authentic PC term is "Usian".
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:24 am GMT
Maybe a new term is born , "Statian". Let's congratulate about the fact that this forum enriches the English language so much. It will take some time until "Statian" becomes a mainstream term, but we have just left the seed.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:53 am GMT
Nobody in the UK uses the term "Statian" - it looks and sounds ridiculous, a bit like calling a Welshman a Walesian, which is even dafter. Anyway, how would you pronounce Statian? State-ee-yan? Staishun? It's just silly. I've never come across Statian before until it appeared in this Forum...it's just a stupid concoction. They're Americans, guys and always will be - get over it.

On the other hand an Englishman could well be called an Englander - that does exist - probably it's an importation from German - "ein Englander - aus England", an easy fomation when the country ends with "...land". The same goes for an Icelander, and the variation Icelandic. Englandic sounds crazy though. Scotlander? It doesn't work for Scotland, though, or Ireland - nobody would call me a Scotlander, that's for sure. Or Finlander? Nope - that doesn't work either, although Sibelius did use the term Finlandia for his famous musical piece. That sounds fine - but Englandia? No - that's not on....looks silly, too.

Scrub Statian - it's just plain weird and I doubt it will ever catch on mainstream.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:32 am GMT
<<<I think it has more to do with the person than the accent per se. For example, I generally dislike nasal Statian accents, yet quite often I will find someone who I don't even notice their accent, and later on reflexion about it I conclude that it was because the person, and that their accent was as bad as all others. Some people release an aura which makes all other considerations vanish into the depths of subconscious thought, as though it weren't an issue even in the slightest degree. It happens similarily with people of my own pedigree who speak with accents deemed by me to generally be pleasent but in the opposite sense. These people have nice accents but are horrible specimens of our race, so when I meet them I find them pretensious and this impression alters my psychological mindset in relation to them and makes me percieve their accent as one of gross semblance.>>>

What kind of talk is that? :-D Have you been reading 19th century novels and cognitive psychology at the same time and now you are mixing the two? :-D

<<<It happens similarily with people of my own pedigree>>>

What do you mean by 'your pedigree'?

<<<Not to get OT, but the use of the term "African American" always annoyed me for this very same reason. Every time they call themselves that it always sounds like some kind of admission of inferiority, which is not the case.>>>

I don't think so. It doesn't imply inferiority at all. It's a question of identity, not that of inferiority or superiority.

<<<"Statian" term is really quite silly. Why? Simple -- no one uses it (anywhere), it does not exist in English, and, most importantly, no one knows what you are talking about/referring to.>>>

I agree with the others - 'Statian' sounds weird. Just imagine someone saying 'A Statian has just arrived at the station.' Plain crazy, isn't it? I have never encountered this world in real life, however, I have seen it many times here in this forum.
Liz   Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 am GMT
Sorry, the above post was mine...it's not Guest commenting on his/her own post! But there are too many Guests around, so you never know... :-)
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:02 pm GMT
<i>Since this is a language forum, let's get it straight:

There are two distinct continents in the Western hemisphere, "North America" and "South America"</i>

So, Has now English the power to define how many continents are there? If you learn English you have to accept that America are two continents, even if you have being taught since childhood that America is one continent?

You Statians can say the way you like, but be certain that for me America never has been and will never be a country, and that doesn't depend on the language I happen to be speaking at a given moment.