Dutch surnames in French, and related issues.

Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
<<Some Cultures are stronger than others. And lets don't forget we are using the Latin alphabet, that dominates the world. And the Norman French invasion literally wiped out the Old English. Modern English is some sort of Norman French with Latin words and with Germanic grammar.
>>

false.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:28 pm GMT
>>Only countries with poor Culture tend to minimise the role of Culture in the society, and boost the lack of Culture with nationalism or some fascist ideologies.<<

Or flood an online languages forum with an imaginary superculture.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
>>Only countries with poor Culture tend to minimise the role of Culture in the society, and boost the lack of Culture with nationalism or some fascist ideologies.<<

This is so true, Hitler was very insecure, he was a wannabe german, because he was austrian, and he invented the Arian superior race, because the german culture was not superior to Greek or Roman.

>>Humans today store their material wealth as dogs store their extra food in the ground. The difference between a Human and an Animal is Culture. The most important thing in the world is C.U.L.T.U.R.E.

The Economy and material wealth of a country means nothing, it can collapse in 50 years, or it can boom in 50 years. You can create a successful wealthy country in 200 years from scratch (see Australia). But it takes 1000 years at least, to create a less than average Native Culture.<<

Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire are the heart of the western civilisation, culture and history. And it will remain like this until the end of the world.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 pm GMT
If the Roman Empire wasn't destroyed by the Barbaric hordes, nowadays we would live in a better, more advanced world.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
<<But it takes 1000 years at least, to create a less than average Native Culture>>

Yes. It took the Japanese macaques almost 30 years to develop its highly organized hot-spring bathing and food washing cultures...
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
<<If the Roman Empire wasn't destroyed by the Barbaric hordes, nowadays we would live in a better, more advanced world. >>

No we wouldn't-...WAIT a second--. YES, YEs, maybe we would, because You wouldn't be here...--Your great great great great grand-daddy basque would have either been killed by a gladiator in the coloseum or fed to the lions in Rome.

damn.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 pm GMT
The Basques were loyal allies of the Romans. The formers helped the Roman authorities against the Celtic tribes. It would be you the one who wouldn't be here because the Romans would had killed your Barbarian ancestors. Ave Caesar morituri Germani salutant te!
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:27 am GMT
>>The Economy and material wealth of a country means nothing, it can collapse in 50 years, or it can boom in 50 years. You can create a successful wealthy country in 200 years from scratch (see Australia). But it takes 1000 years at least, to create a less than average Native Culture.<<

Well said. I can't imagine how is to live in Australia, what are people doing there? I mean museums, architecture, culture, identity, soul? No? I would go mad with money in my pocket!
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 am GMT
Most Australians have never been to an opera or a theatre (or if they have, it's usually once, and when they were a child). Most people haven't been to a museum since they were children and have been only once, and 90% of museum visitors are tourists. People in Australia prefer the beach or the cricket.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:32 am GMT
where is the moderator? This isn't what this topic is about!
Willem   Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:36 pm GMT
topic: Dutch surnames in French, and related issues.

It is interesting that not only many surnames are of Dutch origin, but also the name of the country (France = realm of the (Dutch) Franks) and an overwelming amount of names like Robert, Fréderic, Henri etc. are of Dutch origin. North-Eastern French are as it seems to a great amount of Dutch ancestry who speak some Latin-based language.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:20 pm GMT
I'd say only the walloons in Belgium could possibly have more Dutch ancestry.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:06 pm GMT
"Or flood an online languages forum with an imaginary superculture. "

Yes, cultures a grouped in wider family of cultures, where is the problem?
What do you think "European" culture, or even worse "western" culture, to which many northern Europeans and Americans like to identify. "western" is a far much more imaginary superculture. Even for "European" no one is really able to define what defines being European: no common kind of language, no common religious herency, no common geographical localisation (what in common between a Spaniard and a Finnish?? Or a french with a Ukrainian?? Or a Icelander with a greek?? All are the same superculture... It is what I would call and completly imaginary idenitity. Northern European like these concept a lot because it allows them to feel connected with antic mediterranean cultures (such as Greek) they perceved to have more value than their own antic cultures.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 am GMT
I would guess that the north western rhineland also has a great Dutch influence, a lot of towns there have Dutch-based names, and many towns have Dutch counterparts (Köln/Cologne/Keulen)
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14 am GMT
Dutch? Is that the language spoken by those orange wearing failures?