Spanish speaking celebrities

K. T.   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm GMT
Ever read a Bible? What's the point of discussing the languages of Jesus Christ except in the historical sense.

If you believe that he is the Son of God, then it's logical to expect that he understands all languages. When the Centurian (spelling) spoke to him, what language was spoken? If there were amphitheaters in France and probably Spain, then there were probably venues for actors in Palestina or whatever it was called back then. What languages did the actors speak?

We never hear Christ calling for an interpreter.
K. T.   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:16 pm GMT
My point is this: I never went to seminary, but I can read. At certain junctures in the life of Christ, he had encounters that may have been multilingual.

1. Age 12, why did he shock the teachers? Did he understand Hebrew better than they did?
2. When he met the woman at the well, what language did she speak?
3. What languages did the Centurion speak?
Skippy   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:19 am GMT
Did most Hebrews not at least have a basic understanding of Latin?

As a historical figure, Jesus spoke Aramaic and (I think) Greek, as I think it was the lingua franca of the Eastern Empire (if not then he probably at least spoke Latin as well). I could be wrong though...

As a religious figure, he speaks all languages.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:55 am GMT
<<As a religious figure, he speaks all languages.>>

Even Polari?
Curioso   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:28 am GMT
Why is it that U.S. monolingual people are so intimidated by Spanish speakers? Is it the fact that slowly and little by little Spanish is growing in the U.S.? Even a man whose name IS NOT Anthony, but Antonio Villarraigosa is the mayor of the second most populous city in the U.S. Are you -monolingual creeps- jealous of those who speak español?
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:21 am GMT
<<Even a man whose name IS NOT Anthony, but Antonio Villarraigosa is the mayor of the second most populous city in the U.S. Are you -monolingual creeps- jealous of those who speak español?>>

FYI: The "Honorable" Antonio Villaraigosa used to go by the name "Tony Villar" back in his youth. It wasn't until he went to UCLA and joined MEChA that he switched to back "Antonio". He added the 'raigosa' part when he married his second wife.

But anyway, it's not the Spanish speakers per se that intimidates US monolingual people, it's the perceived take-over of a "foreign" language that intimidates them, especially when billboards and signs are plastered everywhere in Spanish only, public schools are teaching Spanish instead of English, immigrant groups protest for amnesty while speaking in Spanish, and people keep waving the Mexican flag everywhere they go.
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am GMT
W Spanish Spammer
Sabueso   Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:03 pm GMT
<< it's the perceived take-over of a "foreign" language that intimidates them>>
I really don't understand this. English is a strong language per se. Spanish has never been a foreign language there. Remember english was a 'foreign' language too when the first english-speaking settlers came.
So if you taught them english well without wanting to erase their culture maybe they would feel more inclined to learn and use it.
<<especially when billboards and signs are plastered everywhere in Spanish only, public schools are teaching Spanish instead of English>>
It's curious this because you are very happy and proud when in all parts of the world all signs are written in english . Even when people need to express their claims in demostrations,meetings , etc they write them in english.
In my own country goverment is promoting english and not other language. Why? i'm as fed up with english as you with spanish because english is everywhere bombarding messages in english all the time.
However you're very proud with this situation , aren't you?
What i think is that you're very arrogant and if they are not like you, you get angry and want they to dissapear.

<<people keep waving the Mexican flag everywhere they go. >>
We have here the same situation with germans and english and we don't get so angry. Even whole towns are theirs.
And here there's something strange. I heard many of them saying that they're american and there are a lot serving in the american army and even they die for USA not for other country. But it seems to me that this doesn't bother you.
In addition wherever you Americans go you take your flag wawing it all the time as well and nothing happens.
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
<<In addition wherever you Americans go you take your flag wawing it all the time as well and nothing happens.>>

*Glances at Iraq and Afghanistan on his globe lamp*

Mmmh...
afrolatina   Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:01 am GMT
you 4got tatyanna ali joanna garcia from reba alex bledel lala the mtv vj
Guest   Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:31 am GMT
There are a lot of Hiri Motu speaking celebrities these days...
Guest   Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 am GMT
But the're are also lots of Hottentot speaking celebrities nowadays.
just me   Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:10 am GMT
alexis bledel also speaks some spanish, she use to speak only spanish when she was little because of her parents being hispanics, but now with all the hollywood and fame I guess she got an accent.
Michelle   Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 pm GMT
Although I'd have to question -- who speaks FLUENT spanish? Not just a phrase here or there... I know Jennifer Lopez isn't a fluent spanish speaker - so ... it makes me question... hmmm... ???
carmen   Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
nice list. speedy gonzales all the way tho