What to call transsexuals?

Rosemachinegun   Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 am GMT
<< Imagine if you found out your wife used to be a man! That would be worse than death! >>

At this point, I think the surprise must be feigned.
beneficii   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:08 am GMT
Uriel,

The surgeries to fix a disease or cancer work to repair damaged or sick body organs. With what you're talking about, perfectly healthy organs are being destroyed to further what is essentially a mental illness. Did you not see the difference?
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:18 am GMT
Please explain why it's a "mental illness".
Uriel   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:38 am GMT
You could say the same about any cosmetic surgery, beneficii. Perfectly serviceable noses, eyelids, and breasts go under the knife to satisfy vanity, which is also a mental condition.

But both types of surgery are to make the INDIVIDUAL happier in life. YOU don't have to approve if you don't want to. It's also none of your affair, not your problem, and affects your life in no particular way. So why worry about it?

As for mental illnesses, most have an organic basis -- a physical one, in other words. There is no separation between the mind and the body. We have a tendency to think of the mind as being purely abstract, nebulous, and nonphysical, because that is the way it appears to us when everything is working smoothly. But the minute you start dealing with people who have suffered a chemical imbalance, stroke, head injury, schizophrenia, dementia, etc., and see the effect it has not only on their psyche but on their entire body and every action they take, you realize just how flesh and blood the "mind" really is, and how intimately it is tied to your outward appearance, behavior, interactions with others, your health and well-being (or lack of it), etc. No problem with the brain is truly "all in your head", and very few of these problems can be solved by talk therapy alone. They are truly medical issues, whether inborn or sustained later in life, and they affect and manifest themselves in the entire body. I work in a hospital that specialized in neurological issues -- I see these patients every day. It's been a very eye-opening experience -- I had no idea before I started this job.
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 am GMT
Nobody said they didn't have the right to do what they want with their bodies, but I also have the right to call them 'it'. That's what this thread is about isn't it?
beneficii   Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:43 am GMT
Uriel,

Good points, I suppose. Still, why the fact that they have these problems should we call them he/she in the first place? I mean, he can't force me to call him she when I think it is more right to call him he, can he?

I mean, flat out, he's male, not female, problems with his brain notwithstanding.
Skippy   Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
Refer to transsexuals as the gender they perceive themselves to be in order to be polite, but know that in actuality (and therefore on government documents, medical documents, and the like) their natural sex. The appearance is purely cosmetic.
little guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:58 pm GMT
<<(Sorry -- am I being smug again? Perhaps our little guest would like to school me some more with his or her vast knowledge and expertise in the area....) >>

It would do no good. You're hopeless

typical male nurse
Uriel   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 am GMT
<<It would do no good. You're hopeless

typical male nurse >>

I'm neither a nurse nor male, honeycakes.;) Your vast knowledge strikes again....
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:30 pm GMT
<<I'm neither a nurse nor male, honeycakes.;) Your vast knowledge strikes again.... >>

Grow up

You sound like a bitch
beneficii   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
Uriel,

Good points, I suppose. Still, why the fact that they have these problems should we call them he/she in the first place? I mean, he can't force me to call him she when I think it is more right to call him he, can he?

I mean, flat out, he's male, not female, problems with his brain notwithstanding.

----------

Also Guest,

that's a horrible thing to say to Uriel.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:55 pm GMT
<<Grow up

You sound like a bitch>>

Only real grown-ups can tell someone to grow up AND use a kindergarten level insult in the same post.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 pm GMT
<<Only real grown-ups can tell someone to grow up AND use a kindergarten level insult in the same post. >>

True.

True.
Jasper   Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
"I'm neither a nurse nor male, honeycakes.;) Your vast knowledge strikes again.... "

I don't think that was meant to be taken literally

You're both immature--Uriel your quip was uncalled for really, especially if you want to be taken as an authoritative medical worker; and Guest is behaving VERY BADLY (as usual! ;)
Examination   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:35 am GMT
Do we call transsexuals he or she!