What to call transsexuals?

Guest   Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:03 am GMT
Good point. If I manage to convince myself that I am the President of the United States, and have an operation to make myself look just like Bush, are you going to call me 'Mr President'? Are you going to allow me to come into the White House and command the troops and take control of the nuclear weapon stockpile? I think not! You will treat me like a lunatic. It's the same situation.
beneficii   Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:17 am GMT
Guest (2nd page),

"<<If the person doesn't have ovaries, then you call that person he? >>

Of course not (generally). In the case of XX chromosonal women who have unfortunately have had to undo a hysterectomy--NO

don't bait me like that.

You know what a woman is. Don't play dumb"

Good job qualifying yourself from the beginning, git.
Skippy   Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:34 pm GMT
<<Skippy, OK, but the person really is a male still. If the person is not truly female, then why do we play his game? We shouldn't be giving in to mental disorders.>>

It's just a symptom of being an American... :-) Avoiding conflict to the point of dishonesty... If somebody gets an ugly tattoo and they asked if I liked it I would probably say yes; it's permanent and all you're going to do is make them upset so unless they're really a close friend there's no point in telling them they're an idiot.

This goes for transsexuals. They've had the surgery, they're taking hormones, etc. If you try to talk them into "switching back" you're likely going to get yourself into a fight or get arrested for being prejudiced against the transgendered, so really what's the point?
Guest   Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
This isn't really a linguistic debate, is it?
Guest   Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:17 pm GMT
This does have bearing on linguistics, because we are debating whether we should call transsexuals by their birth gender or by their fake gender.

So, I guess, if you're trying to be polite, you would call them what they want to be called, but if you were interested in TRUTH you would know what to call them.
Skippy   Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
Correct! I can't believe it took six pages to get there...
Guest   Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:57 pm GMT
<<So, I guess, if you're trying to be polite, you would call them what they want to be called>>

Ok...

I want you all to call me by what I want to be called then:

"***Your Grand Spankin' Royally Majestic Highness and Gracious Lord Slonkin' Honorship***"
I'm gay   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 am GMT
I want to be called "I'm gay".

Please always refer to me as 'I'm gay'.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:00 am GMT
Can a man be called Laura, Samantha , Rose, and so on without being a transexual in America?
Skippy   Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 pm GMT
English names tend to go the other way.... A lot of times you end up with girls being named with boys' names, but you don't get a lot of boy with girls' names...
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:08 am GMT
That's not true, Skippy. There are just as many boys named "Casey", "Jesse", "Aaron/Erin" as there are girls named "Sam", "Nick" and shit on and shit forth.
Buddy   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
<<"Casey", "Jesse", "Aaron/Erin" as there are girls named "Sam", "Nick" and shit on and shit forth. >>

Casey Jesse and Aaron are boys' names to begin with. (See Skipster, you're right!). But they have become so common as girls' names that we tend to forget that they're not.

Same with 'Kimberly'--it is a dude's name! (look it up if u don't believe me)
Buddy   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
<<"Casey", "Jesse", "Aaron/Erin" as there are girls named "Sam", "Nick" and shit on and shit forth. >>

Casey Jesse and Aaron are boys' names to begin with. (See Skipster, you're right!). But they have become so common as girls' names that we tend to forget that they're not.

Same with 'Kimberly'--it is a dude's name! (look it up if u don't believe me)
Examination   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
<<I want you all to call me by what I want to be called then:

"***Your Grand Spankin' Royally Majestic Highness and Gracious Lord Slonkin' Honorship***">>

But I don't want to. I guess that means it is wrong, then, if we call transsexuals by what they want to be called, even if they are not truly the thing. Maybe Skippy was being misleading, because this would be a slippery slope.
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm GMT
<<But I don't want to. I guess that means it is wrong, then, if we call transsexuals by what they want to be called, even if they are not truly the thing. Maybe Skippy was being misleading, because this would be a slippery slope. >>

Earthworm, grub or artificial lure?