queue, line, row

lida   Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:06 am GMT
When do we use queue, when line and when row?
Thank you in advance.
Felix the Cassowary   Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:50 pm GMT
Queue focuses on the fact that there is an order of things (usually people or cars or the like), and the first thing in the queue will be the first thing out. It's usually simplest to organise this by having the things standing one after another in a row or line.

A line is used for an edge or a representation of one, or something that *could* represent them. A long, thin marking. It can also be used when you have things standing one after each other, and not besides each other (though you can have two lines next to each other, for instance, one of girls and one of boys). Things standing in a line don't necessarily have to be forming a queue; for instance, they could be ordered by height (so if you add something to the line, you put it in the right place by height, rather than straight at the end). Line is therefore more generic than queue in most uses where you can actually see something you might call a queue, and if you're unsure "line" is probably a better word.

Rows are more diverse in meaning and I'm having a hard time trying to work out how you describe them. Generally a row is horizontal, so that in English we write our text in rows, whereas in Chinese they typically write in columns (which go vertically). Rows also must contain separateable things (for instance, the letters in these lines of text are obviously distinct; whereas if you draw a line, then there's no obvious place to divide it). When taken out of paper/computer screens and put into the real world, so being "horizontal" doesn't really make sense, a row will typically have its contents facing sideways, outwards (like houses on a street), whereas a line/queue will have its contents facing forwards (as when you line up waiting for a slow cashier).

So:
- Queues maintain their order, with something always in front of things which came in last, and has the first item that entered the queue as the first item to exit the queue.
- A lines is a relatively generic grouping of things with only one dimension, in which the items *typically* (tho not always) face forwards.
- Rows are typically horizontal when on paper, or have their items facing sideways/outwards when in the real world.
Uriel   Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm GMT
There are dialectical differences, too. Americans never use "queue" to refer to a group of people standing in a line, although most other English-speakers do.
Guest   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:16 am GMT
never?!
Lazar   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:49 am GMT
<<never?!>>

Nope. I don't think the word "queue" is found in my dialect at all.
Uriel   Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:51 am GMT
Ever. It's true. When I think queue, I think Chinese pigtail, and that's about it. I know what other people mean by it, but I never use it myself.
Brennus   Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:15 am GMT
Re: Queue < Fr. cue < Late Latin coda < Classical Latin cauda 'tail'. The British also use it as a verb as in "People were queuing up around the corner." Americans would say either 'lining" or "forming a line around the corner."

It seems to be an educated word however and I have a hunch that there are still many Britons still don't use it.
Brennus   Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:17 am GMT
...many Britons still don't use it > many Britons who don't use it .
Dude Who Knows   Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 am GMT
I don't think most Americans would even know how to pronounce "queue".
Travis   Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:33 am GMT
>>I don't think most Americans would even know how to pronounce "queue".<<

And from where do you get that idea?
Candy   Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:37 am GMT
<<It seems to be an educated word however and I have a hunch that there are still many Britons still don't use it. >>

Possibly, but I don't know any. I don't know how else a British person would express that - we certainly don't say 'line'. 'Queue' is an *extremely*-often used word in the UK.
Lazar   Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 am GMT
<<It seems to be an educated word however and I have a hunch that there are still many Britons who don't use it.>>

I've never gotten the impression that British English "queue" is an "educated" or formal word.
Brennus   Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:46 am GMT
"I've never gotten the impression that British English "queue" is an "educated" or formal word. "

But the word is French which has never been the language of the common people in England or anywhere else in non-Francophone Europe. Otherwise, Frederick the Great and Czar Alexander I might have succeeded in making it official in Germany and Russia.
Lazar   Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:58 am GMT
<<But the word is French which has never been the language of the common people in England or anywhere else in non-Francophone Europe.>>

You're saying that it's impossible that any French words could have penetrated vernacular English? What complete nonsense! By that "common" and "restaurant" must be "educated words" because it has a French etymology.

And were you aware that the word "line" is also of French origin?

<<Otherwise, Frederick the Great and Czar Alexander I might have succeeded in making it official in Germany and Russia.>>

And at what point were Germany and Russia conquered by a French-speaking aristocracy? If you can't recognize an essential difference between Francophone influence in England versus Germany and Russia, then your knowledge of history must be pitiful.
Candy   Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:59 am GMT
<<But the word is French which has never been the language of the common people in England or anywhere else in non-Francophone Europe. Otherwise, Frederick the Great and Czar Alexander I might have succeeded in making it official in Germany and Russia. >>

I'm afraid this bizarre argument lost me completely. I assure you that 'queue' is emphatically NOT an 'educated' word in the UK, but the normal, everyday word.