My American Accent

Jasper   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:49 am GMT
Ray, because of your answer to my riddle, I'm having trouble believing that you haven't spent at least some time in the United States...
Ray   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:29 am GMT
I've been studying English since I was in elementary school and 7 years old.

I've learned a lot from the American TV-shows :)
Sho   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 am GMT
Wow, I would've had no idea that this was non-native accent if i hadn't read that you're Finnish before listening to it.
It can definitely work for most people if you tell them you've spent your entire life in the US.
It somehow sounds more American than Canadian. Maybe it's because you don't have the c-c merger?

I hope you can share a little bit of your English learning history and secrets with us.
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:55 am GMT
It wasn't much of a riddle, Jasper. Try something harder.
Ray   Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
I agree.

Practically anyone who is fluent in English here in Finland could've figured that one out.
Northwesterner   Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:37 pm GMT
Now you should try to do an accent from a particular region. Why not try a Northwestern accent--the best sounding accent, in my humble opinion.
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
<<I've been studying English since I was in elementary school and 7 years old. >>

How old are you now?
Ray   Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
Yeah it would be awesome to be able to do an accent that's from a particular region. I think I might try that.

I'm twenty-five.
Jasper   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
[It wasn't much of a riddle, Jasper. Try something harder.]

You're right, Guest. I was quoting from memory a passage read a long time ago.

Normally, Northerners and Southerners perceive the sentence differently. I thought it might shed some light on Ray's nationality.

It would be far easier to ascertain whether or not he was an American. But since he asserts that he's Finnish, there seems no way to tell; perhaps an expert would know--somebody with more knowledge than I, a mere student.
Achab   Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:09 pm GMT
Jasper,

[I was quoting from memory a passage read a long time ago.]

Where did you read that?

[Normally, Northerners and Southerners perceive the sentence differently.]

Care to expand?

Thanks,

Achab
Jasper   Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:27 pm GMT
Achab: the passage was read in a book written by Suzette Elgin. I don't remember the exact book, but it was one of the Verbal Self-Defense books. The sentence was given as an example of how Northerners and Southerners can often perceive English differently, and create misunderstanding.

Normally, a Northerner would interpret the sentence as "Jim asked John to sit"; a Southerner would interpret the sentence as "Someone asked John to sit beside Jim."

I thought that if Ray has some Southern influence in his voice, and perceives the sentence by the second meaning, his assertion that he's Finnish might be a fib.

However, because the riddle was so easily solved, I am convinced I have forgotten some of the wording...
Jasper   Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
Achab, if you're interested in the series, Success with the Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense is the most thorough one.

These books--aimed at laymen, not experts--are wonderful guides on how the English language can be used to manipulate or abuse. A lot of additional information related to linguistics is included; for example, detailed instructions on shadowing (both vocally and visually) are included. One major caveat: the books are aimed at speakers of American English; they'd probably be useless to a Brit because the complexities of British English are too different.
Achab   Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
Jasper,

Thank you for the extra information you provided.

I'm game to read Ms. Elgin books, I've heard of them in several occasions and the time for me to try them out has definitely come now.

Yeah, I remember you'd talked about the writings of Suzette Elgin in the thread about shadowing where the two of us contributed a bit some months ago.

By the way, I'm not a native speaker of English but I could come up with both of the solutions to the riddle more or less instantly. Having said that, _Jim asked John to sit_ rings more plausible than "John was asked to sit close to James" to me. They're both perfect from a mere grammatical standpoint, but, um, I don't know...

With all the good wishes,

Achab
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
-I disagree that the General American vowel in "on" is /A/. Labov says that the dialects that are closest to General American are the Midlands, the West, and Canada. All of those can have a rounded [Q].

not true.

California (and Rocky Mountains region), Atlantic Canada and Midland have [A] in ''on''. Midwest may have [A] or [a] in ''on'', depending on NCVS.
Even NYC has [A] in ''on''.
Northwesterner   Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:48 am GMT
>> California (and Rocky Mountains region), Atlantic Canada and Midland have [A] in ''on' <<

Although that might be the most common allophone for it, /Q/ can certainly also be used. I've recorded myself speaking, and I know that I use both allophones, and we have a very weak Canadian or California vowel shift here.