Hey British guys, I love this accent!!!

Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:28 am GMT
<<Yes, (LOL), the Ralph Fiennes accent would be the proverbial "icing on the cake." >>

Anything at all related to Mr Fiennes would be superb. Anything. Really. ;)
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 am GMT
Pete, I don't think accent alone gets you a piece of ass. You might as well stop obsessing over it.
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:11 pm GMT
<<Pete, I don't think accent alone gets you a piece of ass. You might as well stop obsessing over it.>>

That's absolutly true, but haven't you read what I wrote above? I thought I made it clear that a person is much more than just an accent and appearence.

I like the accent, but that's all. I don't really think, as others have pointed out, that accent is a surefire way of getting laid. Defenitely not.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:24 pm GMT
<<I don't really think, as others have pointed out, that accent is a surefire way of getting laid. Defenitely not.>>

I'm sure what you say is as important as how you say it. I mean if you're saying something like, "Gee, honey, are you putting on weight?" Then even Ralph Fiennes couldn't save you.
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 pm GMT
"Gee, honey, are you putting on weight?" Then even Ralph Fiennes couldn't save you."

LOL, certainly. But I discovered long ago that it's not polite to talk about weight or age. Some women feel offended.

I suppose if I said: Yo, you're really hot, b**ch! Tim Yeo's accent wouldn't be helpful at all. The way people say things is absolutly important, that's true.
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:31 pm GMT
Well, you're the one who goes on and on about how various women have hopped into bed with you on the basis of how you talk, Pete.... ;)
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:04 pm GMT
<<women have hopped into bed with you on the basis of how you talk>>

LOL, If it sounds a bit disturbing, I won't mention that again. I must admit it sounds presumptuous as well.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:15 pm GMT
Pete, do you want Mr Y's telephone number? As an MP (Member of Parliament) he does have a publicly displayed direct link to his secretary at Westminster as all MPs are democratically accessible, but my guess is you would have to pass as one of his constituents with an issue. How good are you at assuming a fake Suffolk accent and hoodwinking very astute and clever secretaries? :-)
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm GMT
<<How good are you at assuming a fake Suffolk accent and hoodwinking very astute and clever secretaries? :-)>>

That would be a real challenge, I'm not very goog at faking accents. I think I'll practise that Suffolk accent before trying such thing, but not to cheat anybody.

Faking an accent is considered stupid by some people. And I admit I would feel rather strange faking a particular accent. Native-people with that accent would quickly detect me.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
<<Faking an accent is considered stupid by some people. And I admit I would feel rather strange faking a particular accent. Native-people with that accent would quickly detect me.>>

Oh I don't know, you might get away with it. You'd probably get away with it in the US.

A number of people I've met from southern and midwestern states think I have an English accent. I don't of course but the Boston accent, I think, confuses some people.

But then again, once I asked an Englishwoman at a cosmetic counter in Florida about a lipstick or something and she asked me what part of England I came from. I told her she'd been away from home too long.

Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
<<How good are you at assuming a fake Suffolk accent and hoodwinking very astute and clever secretaries? :-)>>

"ooh arr, they're bootiful"!

OK, so that's probably more Norfolk, I have to admit I'm not sure how a Suffolk accent sounds! Anyone know any cool phrases?
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
<<"ooh arr, they're bootiful"!

OK, so that's probably more Norfolk>>

LOL. What kind of accent does Prince Charles have by the way? He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth when he talks. I have the worst time understanding him.
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
<<LOL. What kind of accent does Prince Charles have by the way?>>

German- what other type of accent would you expect a man whose real last name is Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg to have (no joke- this was his father's surname until he changed it to Mountbatten after distancing himself from his sister and prominent Nazi brother-in-law)

Seriously though, the Royal family don't really have an accent as no one else really sounds like them, it's sort of an accent of their own creation. I also think Prince Charles is especially prone to mumbling.
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:55 pm GMT
Have you ever heard recordings of Queen Elizabeth a few decades ago? I've never heard such a hideously strangulated accent - just awful! It's mproved a lot since then (maybe she had elocution lessons).
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:59 pm GMT
<<What kind of accent does Prince Charles have by the way? He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth when he talks. I have the worst time understanding him.>>

So do I. Prince Charles certainly knows how to use English as an instrument of torment. I suppose the Royal family's accent is a new accent of which surely deserves the term of Queen's English.