Hey British guys, I love this accent!!!

Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm GMT
CONTESSA   Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:18 am GMT
I REALLY HAVE TO LOVE TALKING TO BRIT, BECAUSE IT'S MY JOB. EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE, I'VE GOT ABOUT 500 CALLS FROM THEM, IM BASED IN THE PHILIPPINES (CALL CENTER FOR A DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE) AND IT WAS REALLY A HARD AND CHALLENGING JOB. ESPECIALLY NOT BEING USED TO THE ACCENT... OH GOD!!!AND WE'RE USED TO USING THE AMERICAN ACCENT...I WAS HAVING A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING SCOT CALLERS. CAN YOU GIVE ANY TIPS FOR THIS.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:25 am GMT
***I WAS HAVING A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING SCOT CALLERS. CAN YOU GIVE ANY TIPS FOR THIS***

Yes........move to Scotland, Contessa. In time, familiarity will replace incomprehension, and eventually you will be speaking just like the rest of us so much so that your own familiy members won't understand a word you say any more. If you ask me nicely I will even teach you a few naughty words.....
Guest   Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:28 am GMT
>But it seems like you consider the RP accent more as a surefire way to get yourself laid than anything else, Pete....

Ahem. That expression may be mild slang to a NA, but it's considered extremely crude in other English-speaking countries.
Uriel   Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:18 pm GMT
What, get laid?
Damian in Bonnie scotland   Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:29 pm GMT
And if you do come to visit us in Bonnie Scotland, Contessa, and then decide to leave us, we shall sing "Will Ye No come Back Again?"

(Have your sound system switched on to listen to the lads and lassies o' Aberdeen)

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/radicalism/songdetail.php?ID=R07
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 pm GMT
Cuffed the Chinamen? How rude.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
Aye...the words are NOT the proper ones to one of Scotland's most well known songs! No way are we Sinophobes but that was from a politically radical website apparently.....I selected it in very limited because it was the first I could find that had the tune play automatically. At least you heard some genuine Scottish singers even if the words were a wee bit dreich.

The best way to hear "Will Ye No Come Back Again" is when it's played by massed pipe bands, such as at the end of the Edinburgh International Festival each August, at about 23:00hrs on the last night of the annual Festival from the grounds of floodlit Edinburgh Castle as the firework displays are going off over the city. You can hear the bands from way below the Castle Rock in the Princes Street Gardens as the last night fun is in full swing...not quite like Hogmanay though! ;-)

The song was connected with Bonnie Prince Charlie, mentioned in the proper lyric.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/wjc/willyeno.htm

The chorus is a wee bit out of tune in this recording, but it's frae Glesca (Glasgow), d'ye ken! ;-)

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Will_Ye_No_Come_Back_Again.htm
nRaj   Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
In my openion, learning can be made easier by discussing the particular issue, if each one send one one small issues everyone will share the information and words required for each situation. for example how to communicate in Railway Station.
The main requirement in the Railway station is.
1. What time train will come from --- place.
2. What time train available for --- place.
3. which train I have to take to go --- place.
4. Where is the ticket counter. etc.,it continues. so we will come across many words and how to use them, indirectly it teaches you the grammer also.
what your openion on this.
Guest   Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 am GMT
>What, get l***?

Zachary.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 am GMT
Would have thought you lot were glad to see the back of the Italian gimp (Bonnie Prince Charlie). That was a bit of a rubbish invasion wasn't it? Get as far as Derby then think "ahhh bollocks to it lets go home".
Though the backlash wasn't so nice, Didn't the Duke of York wipe out the population of Inverness? Not so grand.
Gops   Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:08 pm GMT
Hello.I was just wondering,If anyone knows of any online sites that teach you the British accent.I don't want to pay for a speaking coach,because it isnt life or death,but I have always liked the British accent and the only word I can say properly in British is arse.lol.And that's only due to the fact that I can read it.So if anyone has any tips and such please let me know or email me at info@maagraphics or info@dezinehub.com .And I know it will take more then a day to learn,but I'm patient.Thanks!
me   Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:24 pm GMT
"Would have thought you lot were glad to see the back of the Italian gimp (Bonnie Prince Charlie). That was a bit of a rubbish invasion wasn't it? Get as far as Derby then think "ahhh bollocks to it lets go home".
Though the backlash wasn't so nice, Didn't the Duke of York wipe out the population of Inverness? Not so grand."

Glorifying an act of murder and terrorism, are we?!
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:29 pm GMT
No, like I said, it wasn't a very nice thing to do. I have just realised the Prince Harry is going to be the next Duke of York, so expect more of the same? God help us.
Adam   Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
Acts of murder and terrorism?

Those Irish and Scots know all about that.