The most studied languages

Schumacher   Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:59 pm GMT
The most spoken languages are Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic and Malay-Indonesian. So, the Asian languages are very important in this list (4 Asiatic and 2 European).

However, the most studied languages are European: English, Spanish/French, German, Chinese and Italian.

There is a big difference between the two lists. Do you think that the Asiatic languages will be more important in the near future?
Pirat   Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
Definitely. As China and India's economic power grows, not to mention many other Asian countries who are industrialised, then these langauges will become much more economically attractive, and hence studied.
Yeshua   Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
I think we're moving away from learning national languages and towards the international language of English. Even if the Angloshpere declines to obscurity, English will remain like Latin.
Guest   Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:37 pm GMT
I don't think so. Latin had a kind of a charisma that English lacks. English is purely an utilitarian language for non anglophones and if the Anglosphere delclines it will soon dissapear.
charisma   Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
"Do you think that the Asiatic languages will be more important in the near future?"

-- Major Asian languages (and Arabic) are going to become bigger regional languages, but I can't see them qualifying for world languages.

The modern world is an extension of Western civilization and it's not likely this will change even in a remote future. The languages that shaped this civilization will therefore retain a global relevance.

Tonal music was a European invention of the late middle ages. Now it is globally predominant. You can't study music anywhere in the world without absorbing an Italian vocabulary. Hence, Italian is and will remain a small world language. Even if Italian population is going to dwindle to a few million elderly people by the end of this century with a development level lower than Turkey.
guest   Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:33 am GMT
Most Chinese people who get higher education can speak English, even though more and more people speaking English are learning Chinese. I think the domination of English as a world language can't be changed easily. However, as the Chinese economy is getting propers and the politics stability increasing, the Chinese will become important. To help you learn Chinese online, please check http://www.hellomandarin.com
Yeshua   Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 am GMT
English will remain important even if the USA declines quite drastically. If something like that didn't happen before then that's because the world has changed since then. Having a relatively straight forward, single working language is just too ridiculously efficient to want to give up. Sure there might be more moves to a PC, EU style multilingualism, but the main de facto language will remain English.
Peace   Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:37 am GMT
"Tonal music was a European invention of the late middle ages. Now it is globally predominant. You can't study music anywhere in the world without absorbing an Italian vocabulary. Hence, Italian is and will remain a small world language. Even if Italian population is going to dwindle to a few million elderly people by the end of this century with a development level lower than Turkey."

Why all this hate against Italy and Italians that are so lovely?
Cadaver   Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 am GMT
<<Why all this hate against Italy and Italians that are so lovely? >>

There is a difference between hate and fact, my friend.
I love Italians   Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
Schoemaker   Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 am GMT
<< The most spoken languages are Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic and Malay-Indonesian. So, the Asian languages are very important in this list (4 Asiatic and 2 European).

However, the most studied languages are European: English, Spanish/French, German, Chinese and Italian.

There is a big difference between the two lists. Do you think that the Asiatic languages will be more important in the near future? >>

However, the most studied European languages are English, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish in that order.

N.E. International of China attests that:

French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English. In China has also become the second most demanded foreign language.

French is considered to be the language of diplomacy and culture due to its glorious past and its rich culture.

http://www.nelanguage.com/french.html
Phoenician warrior   Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
Who hates the Italians? I don't. Personally I love them specially Southern Italians. Ciao.
guest   Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
Here's the list in the U.S., per a recent study:

Spanish
French
German
American Sign Language (ASL)
Italian
Japanese
Chinese
Latin
Russian
Arabic

Spanish is by far #1, and French a solid second. The biggest growth has been in ASL, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Arabic.
Slobodan Milosevic   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
So who are the French speakers in the USA? Are they from France or Canada or Africa or what? I find it hard to believe there are more French speakers than Russian speakers, which are everywhere.
French reality check   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 pm GMT
<< However, the most studied European languages are English, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish in that order. >>

Where did you get this info??? Spanish is # 3 or 4 now.

<< French is considered to be the language of diplomacy and culture due to its glorious past and its rich culture. >>

What decade are you living in? Language of diplomacy?! Uh, sorry, not anymore. It's clearly English unless you are in denial.

And as for "culture", how do you define that? Do you mean you have to know French to be "cultured"? Do you mean it's the culture of the world, of humanity? I hear francophiles say this sometimes and it seems very ethno-centric and arrogant. Every country has their own culture and I don't see what makes French so superior in "culture" - especially in today's world. Sorry, but there are other "rich cultures" out there and French can no longer be claimed as the most influencial.

And thank you for proving my point by emphasizing the PAST. Get over it. The French golden age is over.