Is the German language underestimated?

Mooi   Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:38 pm GMT
Germanic languages sound cold and distant, but some varieties of German (Austrian, Bavarian and Swiss German) sound warm and pleasant. The warmest sounding Germanic language is Dutch, especially the SouthDutch (Utrecht, Maastricht) and Flanders' variety: Flemish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqg5a5b3Jc
J.C.   Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:10 pm GMT
"Germanic languages sound cold and distant"...

Mooi: This is very relative because in my opinion German is a very intelectual language and good for arguing but that doesn't have to do with sounding cold and distant, rather that a STANDARD LANGUAGE might lack the regional and personal side of a language, which can be found in its dialects. In the case of Japanese, the Standard language is boring and non-personal whereas Osaka dialect is seen a language for comedy for instance. From the German dialects you quoted I only agree that Bayrisch sounds cool but can't say the same about Swiss German because I don't understand what they say.
As for Dutch, my first teacher was from Belgium and I can understand it better than the Holland version and think it is more pleasant.

Cheers!!
Leyla   Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:44 pm GMT
I think users with user names of war criminals like Slobodan Milosevis or Hitler should be banned from antimoon.
Orpheus   Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
From a European perspective, German is clearly as important as English and French. It is very useful, it sounds beautiful, and it is a great cultural language. It's a shame that so few people choose to learn it though.
Radovan Karadzic   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
<<I think users with user names of war criminals like Slobodan Milosevis or Hitler should be banned from antimoon>>

Who's a war criminal and who isn't? Milosevic is but Ronald Reagan isn't? Mladic is but Margaret Thatcher isn't? What about Bush? What if I had my name as Bush? Surely no one would care. Anyway, just to please you, I will now call myself Radovan Karadzic, since he has not yet been convicted so is 'innocent until proven guilty'.
Hitler   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
My surname is Hitler in reality, so I will use it.
Adolfo Hitlero   Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 am GMT
I wonder if our surnames are etymologically related?
claverackle   Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 am GMT
<<It's a shame that so few people choose to learn it though. >>

German was a lot more important as a 2nd language before WWII, and even moreso before WWI. Germany used to be supreme in technology, so science majors had to take it in college. The battering it took in the wars apparently put an end to all that.
G7   Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:32 am GMT
claverackle Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 am GMT
<<It's a shame that so few people choose to learn it though. >>

German was a lot more important as a 2nd language before WWII, and even moreso before WWI. Germany used to be supreme in technology, so science majors had to take it in college. The battering it took in the wars apparently put an end to all that.
Overpopulatin, hunger, political suppression and wars led since 1800 to the exodus of great parts of the German population towards the USA. This has put an end to the proper definition of terms like "Germany" and "Germans"
PARISIEN   Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 am GMT
<< German was a lot more important as a 2nd language before WWII, and even moreso before WWI. >>

The reason why is quite simple.

Before WWI the big powers were: Britain, France, Russia, Germany and the Austrian-Hungarian empire. Two of them spoke German.

After the war, Austria disappeared but USA joined the club, which sealed the dominance of English.

The Versailles Diktat was entirely discussed in English (French Prime minister Clemenceau has spent several years in the USA, he was perfectly fluent). The Italian leader could not take part to the talks. This frustration gave birth to Fascism...
G7   Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm GMT
The Versailles Diktat was a big mistake and constitute, together with Communism, the root cause of the great disasters in the 19th century.
Alessandro   Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
Il fascismo è nato a causa della "vittoria mutilata".

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittoria_mutilata
Caspian   Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
<< Plein de gens apprennent l'anglais juste pour ça.
Y aurait-il d'autres raisons de le faire ? >>

Je suis d'accord. Il ne faut jamais y avoir des raisons pour apprendre les langues... ça devrait s'amuser!
Carme Franco   Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
Yo estoy a favor del fascismo.