Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:58 pm GMT
The IRA, and the Irish Americans who pay them money, need to realise that the majority of the Northern Irish wish to remain a part of the UK.

No amount of bombs or violence will make the British shift an inch.

We never flinched when the Luftwaffe bombed our cities.
Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:02 pm GMT
"BTW, Adam, you were beaten by British people who wanted religious, and economic freedom so they came here. It's amazing what a truly free bunch of British farmers can accomplish against a tyrannical, oppressive Empire"

You don't have speak rubbish.

A "tyrannical and oppressive" Empire? The British were (and still are) the freest people on the planet. We invented parliamentary democracy and are the world's oldest surviving democracy.

You Americans get taught glorified, historical sh*te in your schools, brainwashing you all into believing that you were some sort of heroes, when all you were were a bunch of children throwing a paddy because you think Mummy was treating you badly.
Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
"Well, Bill, I'm no historian but I don't know if you can really count the War of 1812 as a bona fide asswhipping. "

The War of 1812 was a stalemate, and most of the soldiers in the "British" Army that the Americans were fighting were Canadian.

We also burnt down your White House.
Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:07 pm GMT
"The reason I mentioned this is because Irish history has become so highly politicized, not to mention polarized. To a large extent it goes back to 1846 and the potato famine that killed millions in Ireland. The point I always make yes, the British government at the time did too little, too late and no doubt they were treated badly, but so too were all poor people in mainland Britain at the time. In modern times Irish history has tended to ignore it's role in the development of the British Empire and rather prefer to see itself as a victim of it. "

How were the British to blame for the potato blight which was caused by diseased potatoes?

At the time, there were potato blights all over Europe. France and Scotland were also hit by a potato blight.
Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:16 pm GMT
"As for WWII, even though Ireland was by this time a separate state and neutral, around 46,000 Southern Irishmen chose to fight in the British Army. "

Ireland may have broke away from the UK in 1922, but was still effectively ruled from Britain until 1949.

And during WWII, we had people from all over the Commonwealth fighting for British, and had Commonwealtg armied fighting for us.

If there was a major war now, the Queen, who is the Head of the Armed Forces of about 15 nations, could order them all to fight alongside Britain.
Adam   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:17 pm GMT
"Not to get too off topic, but I suppose we already are, wasn't the Duke of Windsor at the time, an admirer of Hitler? "

King Edward VIII was an admirer of Hitler, and so was Mrs Simpson, his wife, who was American.
Bill the Yank   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:40 pm GMT
A stalemate?

Call it what you like, Adam. You left, we stayed here, our independence, and government intact. And, when was it that Canada got its independence, Adam? 1867?

And, I believe the British actually did them their Independence.

What you said was just wrong, Adam, and quite insulting. Why don't you just admit you were mistaken, and let's shake hands.
Terry   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:15 pm GMT
<<King Edward VIII was an admirer of Hitler, and so was Mrs Simpson, his wife, who was American. >>

I could I have forgotten Mrs. Simpson. I think Joseph Kennedy, JFK's father was also an admirer.
JJM   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 pm GMT
"The War of 1812 was a stalemate, and most of the soldiers in the "British" Army that the Americans were fighting were Canadian."

The war was INDEED a stalemate. The Americans faced a mixed force of British regulars, "Fencibles" (colonial regulars), militia and Native allies. The presence of regular British troops was utterly crucial to the successful defence of the Canadas.
Terry   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
<<Relations between the Republic of Ireland and Britain have always been good, likewise the relations between Irish and British people- the real problems have been the nutters in Northern Ireland (which is a part of the UK). >>

I'm not sure about that, Rick. In Boston there are a lot of families of Irish ancestry and there's still to this day a lot of talk about the English and it's not good. Maybe all the Irish that didn't like the English immigrated to the states. :)
JJm   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:23 pm GMT
"How were the British to blame for the potato blight which was caused by diseased potatoes?"

Obviously they weren't. But that's not the point.

At the time, there were potato blights all over Europe. France and Scotland were also hit by a potato blight."

Correct. But unlike the British Government, European governments took immediate steps to provide relief and alleviate hunger. Under Trevelyan, the British Government of the day failed the people of Ireland.
JJM   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
"Ireland may have broke away from the UK in 1922, but was still effectively ruled from Britain until 1949."

No. Patent nonsense. The Irish Free State had full autonomy and the proof was its decision to remain neutral.

"If there was a major war now, the Queen, who is the Head of the Armed Forces of about 15 nations, could order them all to fight alongside Britain."

No again. Patent nonsense. Only their respective governments could do this.

Take Canada as an example. The Queen is Head of State there as "Queen of Canada" not as "Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norhern Ireland." The Queen could only "order" the Canadian Forces to fight alongside Britain if the Canadian government so directed it.
JJM   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:34 pm GMT
"I'm not sure about that, Rick. In Boston there are a lot of families of Irish ancestry and there's still to this day a lot of talk about the English and it's not good."

True enough. Many Irish Americans are still stuck with their great-great grandfather's view of Britain. The British Empire of the Great Famine days is now a part of history but these folks can't get over it.
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 pm GMT
<<Relations between the Republic of Ireland and Britain have always been good, likewise the relations between Irish and British people- the real problems have been the nutters in Northern Ireland (which is a part of the UK). >>

I'm not sure about that, Rick. In Boston there are a lot of families of Irish ancestry and there's still to this day a lot of talk about the English and it's not good. Maybe all the Irish that didn't like the English immigrated to the states. :)

I was actually referring to people born and bred in Ireland, not Americans who call themselves Irish and are probably no more Irish than I am. Most Southern Irish people I know, don't care any more than I do about what what happens in N Ireland.
Bill the Yank   Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:49 pm GMT
Terry,

You are right about Joseph Kennedy. He was a nazi appeaser, and vocal anti-semite. Pres. Roosevelt finally had to recall him as Ambassador to Great Britain in 1940 over his ill-advised remarks, among other things.

JJM

You are right. Many a dollar collected in Irish bars in NYC and Boston finds almost certainly its way to the IRA.