Spanish is not so important as latin-americans praise!

Aldo   Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:03 pm GMT
>No, but the instructions are always written in English as if we all spoke English...

That's not correct and you know it. Manuals, most of them, at least all that I've seen are written in more than English. Spanish, German, Portuguese, Arabian, Korean, Japanese etc... That's simple common sense, you as seller can't suppose that the final buyer speaks your own language and your interest is to sell NOT to expand or obligate people to learn your language.
Aldo   Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:19 pm GMT
All languages are important. It's what I and you inherited from our ancestors and that we will inherit to next generations wherever it be.
It's the main tool to comunicate our ideas, feelings and thoughts. How important is to put a label of importance to that, to something that is intangible but vital for all human beings.
Really I think it's a waste of time to fight for that, don't you all think ?
*CarloS*   Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am GMT
>>>That's not correct and you know it. Manuals, most of them, at least all that I've seen are written in more than English. Spanish, German, Portuguese, Arabian, Korean, Japanese etc...<<<

Aldo, this is true FOR MOST THINGS THAT COME FROM THE US AND CHINA.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:02 am GMT
<<No, but the instructions are always written in English as if we all spoke English... >>

I agree with Aldo. I can assure you that here in Germany, instruction manuals are always written in German. There'd be an outcry if they weren't. Sometimes they're in English too, but not always.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 am GMT
But of course, everybody needs to speak english today, nobody needs to speak french, german, spanish... wich are unusefull.

The best language is ENGLISH.
Ken   Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 pm GMT
We always have different manuals for Brazilian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese, we have google search system in Brazilian Portuguese and google in Continental Portuguese, msn/hotmail and icq in Brazilian Portuguese only.

Use the Google Interface in Your Language
Set the Google homepage, messages, and buttons to display in your selected language via our Preferences page.
Google currently offers the following interface languages:

Afrikaans
Albanian
Amharic
Arabic
Armenian
Azerbaijani
Basque
Belarusian
Bengali
Bihari
Bork, bork, bork!
Bosnian
Breton
Bulgarian
Cambodian
Catalan
Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Corsican
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Elmer Fudd
English
Esperanto
Estonian
Faroese
Filipino
Finnish
French
Frisian
Galician
Georgian
German
Greek
Guarani
Gujarati
Hacker
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Icelandic
Indonesian
Interlingua
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Javanese
Kannada
Kazakh
Klingon
Korean
Kurdish
Kyrgyz
Laothian
Latin
Latvian
Lingala
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Malay
Malayalam
Maltese
Marathi
Mongolian
Nepali
Norwegian
Norwegian (Nynorsk)
Occitan
Oriya
Pashto
Persian
Pig Latin
Polish
Portuguese (Brazil)
Portuguese (Portugal)
Punjabi
Quechua
Romanian
Romansh
Russian
Scots Gaelic
Serbian
Serbo-Croatian
Sesotho
Shona
Sindhi
Sinhalese
Slovak
Slovenian
Somali
Spanish
Sundanese
Swahili
Swedish
Tajik
Tamil
Tatar
Telugu
Thai
Tigrinya
Tonga
Turkish
Turkmen
Twi
Uighur
Ukrainian
Urdu
Uzbek
Vietnamese
Welsh
Xhosa
Yiddish
Yoruba
Zulu
Alison   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:30 pm GMT
Ken wrote:
>>>Portuguese is the official language but the spoken language is VERY Brazilian. Brazilians never use the official language orally, just like in Switzerland, never uses standard German. In Brazil and in Switzerland official languages are hated, local dialects are used, even in public speech.<<<

What a nonsense. The official language hated? Where did you get that information?
And what is the local dialect of Brazil? Brazilian? Brazilian is a dialect or a language, can you explain?
Alison   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:40 pm GMT
Aldo wrote:

>Brazilian is a variation of Portuguese as
> much as Mexican or Argentinean
> is a variation of Spanish, or American
> is a variation of English.

>>American ?! What language is that ????<<<

It seems that there are new languages popping out like mushrooms.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:09 pm GMT
To the moron who posted this above:

<<Candy Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 am GMT
But of course, everybody needs to speak english today, nobody needs to speak french, german, spanish... wich are unusefull.

The best language is ENGLISH.>>

If you're going to post stupid crap under my username, at least write it in correct English. And what you've written is an incredibly stupid, untrue statement. French and German both have well over 100m native speakers, Spanish has over 300m.
Naldo   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:17 pm GMT
»First, they conquered the rest of the Kingdoms in the Ibearian Peninsula (most of this Kingdoms spoke dialects very similar to Spanish, if not Spanish) and later ventured to find a new route to Asia. »

INteresting. Which new route did the Spanish find? Via the North Pole it was the Dutch, (Nova Zembla) .Via Capetown and Cape of Horn (Magalhaes) it were Portuguese. Is there a secret Spanish passage somewhere?
Donald Duck or el Pato Do   Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:17 am GMT
Could the main New Route the Spanish opened be America, both North, Central and South? After all, the conquest of the Americas only began after the first Spanish ships arrived. Nothing to be specially proud about but, afer all, that would explain why Spanish is spoken from California to the Tierra del Fuego (including parts of New York today, etc.)

They were also the first to pass the strait of Gibraltar since Portugal is on the other side. You know! The passage between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, leading to the Canary Islands being conquered and speaking Spanish.

There is also a passage between Australia and New Guinea called the Strait of Torres (check your map) because the first known ship to have passed it was Spanish and the bloody Spaniard who did that was called Torres along with his wretched Spanish crew.

I'm sure there must be some other minor weird passages bearing Spanish names.

I
*CarloS*   Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:56 pm GMT
>>>INteresting. Which new route did the Spanish find?<<<

In their attempt to go through the Atlantic, they discovered America... DUH!!!
Sander   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
America, was discovered by the Vikings, not Columbus (Who wasn't Spanish so your information makes no sense at all) .
Phil   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:09 pm GMT
Linguists consider Ebonics or African-American English as a seperate language. Norwegian and Swedish are considered seperate languages even though they're supposedly mutually comprehensibe.

Whereas Mandarin and Cantonese are considered Chinese dialects even though they're not mutually intelligeble.

I don't know much about brazilian-portugese but if ebonics and swedish-norwegian can counted as different languages then I would think that Brazilian can too.
Donald Do   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:59 pm GMT
It is yet not clear where Columbus was from. Nevertheless, it's clear that he worked for the Spanish crown and that the whole crew was Spanish and that the enterprise was fully paid by Spain. Furthermore, all his logs and hand writing are in Spanish and in no other language meaning he perfectly mastered it.

If a Dutchman works for the British crown his discovery will be British and the fact he was born in the Netherlands will have no relevance. Furthermore, Columbus descendents (yes, they're still alive) are all Spanish and live in Spain and are called Colón and not Columbus. You can check that. His son, born in Spain and a Spaniard wrote a book about his father.

After all, he didn't go alone on that ship. What makes no sense is trying to make people believe that the first permanent European settlements in the Americas were not Spanish. Who are we trying to fool?

The Vikings might have been there before, leaving no trace (I would say the Eskimoes and Indians were already there and remained there) but the European discovery and settlement of the Americas is, in the first place, a late XVth century Spanish conquest and, later on, Portuguese, English, French, Dutch and what you will.

And yes, Colón knew the Earth was round an dind't know there was a continent in between whilst the Portuguese called fom port to port along the African coast on their way to India since they were convinced the Earth was flat. Colón is obviously a man of the Renaissance.

So he had a stroke of luck and gave the land to the King and Queen who paid him the journey.