three favourite languages

colette   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:22 pm GMT
spanish don't care italian and pronounce it carelessly, maybe that's the reason why they don't pronounce italian with double consonants.
My favourite languages are:
English
German
Spanish

My least favourite languages are:
French
Celtic languages
Arabic
maxime   Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 pm GMT
Arabic
Russian
Basque
guarro   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 pm GMT
spanish don't care italian and pronounce it carelessly, maybe that's the reason why they

I'm Spanish and I do love the Italian language, actually I try to speak it well
mataguarros   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:26 pm GMT
I'm Spanish and I speak to Italians in English. English is the world lingua franca.
JPT   Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:36 pm GMT
defacto favorites:

English
French
Czech

I speak these, and I enjoy being able to communicate. English is my native and I've been around French from early childhood- so I can't comment on sound. Czech is a remarkably bipolar language going from the harshest sounds to the softest with suprising ease.

favorites just from hearing:

Yiddish- girlfriend's grandparents speak it, it sounds really funny.
Finnish- very unusual
Catalan- I just like it
Shrey   Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:40 pm GMT
1) French - mellifluous, sensual to the ear

2) Swedish - musical, tonal

3) German - professional and formal; sophisticated
Shuimo   Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 am GMT
Lei Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:44 am GMT
"Chinese: genuinely rivaless poetic quality, both musically and visually"

You must be kidding right? Chinese has great poetry both musically and visually? Right...

Mandarin sounds so annoying and especially in Beijing Opera. Unless you were talking about Cantonese opera. That's not too bad.
============
NO kidding!
hari001   Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:14 am GMT
[url=http://www.talkinghomeloans.com ]Home Loans[/url]

<a href=http://www.talkinghomeloans.com>Home Loans</a>
leao   Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:57 am GMT
1) GEORGIAN perhaps one of the most complicated languages along with
other causasian languages and Basque

2) ARABIC its sounds and intonation are impressive. Unfortunately it's not very loved in this forum, probably because of stupid prejudices. In addition Arabic grammar is fascinating too

3) FRENCH AND RUSSIAN Despite all the silly French speakers of this forum, it seems to me that French is one of the most melodious and peculiar languages. As for Russian, grammar, pronunciation and intonation are exotic and unusual at the same time, not to mention Russian great writers and poets.
CommonAswhole   Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:37 pm GMT
1) Polish - sounds like the falling of leafs in autumn. The nasal nature makes it sound softer than other Slavic tongues.
2) Turkish - I just like agglutinating languages. To be honest, I find Uzbek a nicer sounding language than Turkish, but Turkey is a more interesting country.
3) Icelandic - how could I forget this Germanic beauty. I especially like how musical it sounds. It no surprise Icelandic children learn to sing everyday as part of their elementary education. You also got to love the most pure Germanic language spoken today.

French is also a beautiful language, but I just don't like it when they speak their argot. Also, the intonation is often monotonous and boring that only a French-speaking artist speaks it beautifully.
Seriously, why do common French people and even politicians often go down in their intonation when speaking. They always feel the need to pronounce the last word of their sentence extra loud. This makes a beautiful language to sound ugly and dull.
CommonAswhole   Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
"2) ARABIC its sounds and intonation are impressive. Unfortunately it's not very loved in this forum, probably because of stupid prejudices. In addition Arabic grammar is fascinating too "

The problem is that the world associates the language with Islam and that includes Arabs themselves. I remember reading an Arabic grammar book and the subjects were always about Islam this, Islam that...
Nicolas Sarkoma   Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
Arabic's image is not that bad. It's increasingly popular in France along with Spanish.
fleur   Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 pm GMT
Spanish: Its easy and all its accents are beautiful.
French: Despites its dificulty, it sounds nice and elegant..

This is stupid, in my view Spanish is harder than French
reggie   Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
Armenian: Beautiful and unique. Great culture and beautiful alphabet. A little too rare though, and the literature base is small.
Mongolian: Cool and wild. Quite easy too and fun to build words in the agglutinative way. Unfortunately, also rare the same as Armenian.
English: The vast literature of English is mighty and incomparable with anything. Calm, easy language. Can be a little monotonous though.
Russian: Nice language in many ways, usually beautiful although can be ugly when spoken emotionally and when 'mat' is employed.
Joe   Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 pm GMT
Besides English, in no order I like Spanish, Italian and German. I also think Russian is cool sounding but difficult. I don't find arabic pleasant to listen to.