three favourite languages

Guest   Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 am GMT
I agree. Russian is cool. It's a pity that it's not as popular as it deserves in Western Europe.
Fidel Guevarra   Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
Arabic's image is not that bad. It's increasingly popular in Spain along with French.
Visitor   Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm GMT
Why I didn't know that Spain is now a major producer of Hindi songs.

hindi songs from spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqmXh9rBp8&eurl=http://videos.desishock.net/index.php?module=item&action=show_item_full&itemurl=aHR0cDovL3lvdXR1YmUuY29tLz92PV9WcW

Hindi is fast becoming popular in Spain along with French and take a look at those Spaniards they even dance like Indians.
Colette in Albuquerque   Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm GMT
Nobody in Spain promotes Arabic, aside from the Arabs themselves. But in France the Governmen has a plan to make Arabic a very studied language. Even the French president himself recognizes that the language of future in France is Arabic!. Read if you can:

The French president: "Arabic is the language of future"

The French government is strongly advocating the teaching of Arabic language and civilization in French schools. Not surprising, considering the number of Arabs and Muslims in France, and the unctuous deference with which they are treated by officials, beginning notably with Nicolas Sarkozy, who cannot praise enough the splendor of Arabic contributions to the world.

The French National Assembly was the scene of a meeting earlier this month of the first Conference on the Teaching of Arabic Language and Culture, attended by a variety of interested parties. There was much wearisome blather about the need for "dialogue."

In his message to the participants, French President Nicolas Sarkozy called Arabic the "language of the future, of science and of modernity," and expressed the hope that "more French people share in the language that expresses great civilizational and spiritual values."

"We must invest in the Arabic language (because) to teach it symbolizes a moment of exchange, of openness and of tolerance, (and it) brings with it one of the oldest and most prestigious civilizations of the world. It is in France that we have the greatest number of persons of Arabic and Muslim origin. Islam is the second religion of France," Sarkozy reminded his listeners.

He proceeded to enumerate the various "advances in terms of diversity," the increase in Muslim sections of cemeteries, the training of imams and chaplains and the appointments of ministers of diverse backgrounds.

"France is a friend of Arabic countries. We are not seeking a clash between the East and West," he affirmed, emphasizing the strong presence of Arab leaders at the founding summit of the Union for the Mediterranean, last July 13. "The Mediterranean is where our common hopes were founded. Our common sea is where the principal challenges come together: durable development, security, education and peace," added the French president.
LL   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm GMT
It is difficult to find completely secular learning material for Arabic.
This is understandable because Arabic and Islam are deeply entwined. On the other hand, the difficulty in finding "neutral" materials is off-putting for some learners.

Will you accept the culture and the language, or just the language?
That's the question, not just for Arabic, but for many languages.
luar   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
Colette eres una nena o una puta de mierda, los cubanos que viven en Miami son los peores...
Colette   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
Cubans in Miami are cultured and chose to live in freedom . In Cuba there are only filthy communists.
Milton   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese
US English
Italian
Gatito   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 pm GMT
Cubans in Miami are cultured and chose to live in freedom .*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Cuba has better health care. I doubt Cubans in Miami can afford those expensive private clinics. Perhaps, Gloria Estefan can, but she's just one in a million.
leao   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm GMT
European Spanish
European Portuguese
British
Lij Ras Tafari Makonen   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:22 pm GMT
Japanese
Russian
British
Italian   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
Russian
Arabic
Japanese
frog stomper   Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
Arabic is fast becoming popular in France along with Spanish.
Joe   Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 pm GMT
I agree with LL. I have some interest in Arabic but not the religion. I would be more apt to learn the language if it wasn't so fused with islam.
blepman   Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
I find it very hard to judge English, as it is my first language, so I will leave it out. This leaves me with:

Brazilian Portuguese (I love the soft fricatives and the stripping down of lengthy latin words to their essence)

Argentine Spanish (such a nice idiosyncratic pronunciation of ll and y, paired with a cute, italianesque intonation)

Lebanese Arabic (the language of my family. Less harsh and guttural than many other dialects, but still with so many interesting interesting sounds and untranslatable words)