Things Americans tend to say that sound weird to you

Pub Lunch   Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
Damien my good friend - Just saw your message but I am a tad tied up to fully do justice to the question you ask. Rest assured I will answer your question in kind very soon.

Remember that I am speaking more with the 'younger' generation in mind and so the 'Americanisms' of which I will point out that ARE widely used will be from the vewpoint of a youger demographic i.e. I realise that my Nan won't be using them but the next generation CERTAINLY will and do!!!...until the next Americanisms come along that is!!!

No offence to the Americans as ever!!! Love you lot.
Pub Lunch   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:03 pm GMT
As ever many apologies for the typos....I am one useless git.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
Oh right...sure...I understand, Pub Lunch....I await your next communication. So it's a "younger generation" thing then?....teen talk?.....ok....not my scene any more....at 27 next birthday I realise I am now considered too geritaric to appreciate the extent of the tsunami of Americanisms overwhelming our green and pleasant land..... ;-)

Hey, pal....I wasn't aware that you are into the bondage scene....I'll leave you to it and won't disturb you any further then...enjoy....rather you than me. I hope one day you'll get my name right.... ;-)

In my last post I should have called it Carlton House Terrace near Pall Mall.... not Custom House Terrace.

Friday night.....off to town and the pub now.....hae a guid one!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:18 pm GMT
geriatric.....I'm suffering from PL's malady but I deny being a useless git...
Guest   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 pm GMT
I'm an American and I've noticed that Brits use the verb "do" more than Americans. Like saying "You should do." when here people would just you "You should." or "You had better do." instead of "You had better.". Also, "I have done." instead of "I have."
Guest   Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 pm GMT
I meant to say: here, people would just say "You should."
Pub Lunch   Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am GMT
Damien!! Ha ha that was funny mate - bondage ain't my thing!!!!! Sorry geezer, just got in from a ...well...a weird one... so this will make no sense.

My Laptop had this site open as it was the last thing I'd did. So just replying in a way just to let you know that I will not be shirking from the challenge my wee Bonnie lad.

Geezer, I am very bad with names so blame the head but not the heart.

But with regards to when I say the 'younger' generation I did not mean to be disrespectful to you, just that the effects of what I am talking about applies to the younger lads and lasses of our "green and pleasent land" and not so much the older, more set in their ways folk.

You are a couple of years younger than me so clearly I wasn't taking the piss - although you do come across as a bit of an old fart sometimes mate :)

Ps. We are going to kick your arse in the rugby next week!!!
TaylorS   Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:39 am GMT
>>I have an American lecturer who teaches Molecular Biology and she absolutely creases me up with some of her pronunciations. Today she pronounced "Fungi" as "FUN-JI" (OR FUN-JUY - the juy part sounding like guy but with a J instead of a G).

Generally, here in England, the pronunciation would be "FUN-GE (the 'ge' part sounding like key but with a G instead of a K).

The poor lady did get a few laughs out of that one bless her.<<

"FUN-jee" and "FUN-jai" are the typical pronouncation here in the US.

We also say "AL-jee" for "algae. So I'm guessing you guys say "AL-gee"?
TaylorS   Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:51 am GMT
>>You answered another question that I have wondered, and that was the difference in pronunciation of aunt by Americans. I always assumed that they pronounced it so it sounded like ant but obviously not everyone stateside does.

Now what is the 'normal' or should I say standard pronunciation of the word "data"?? I assume the Americans pronounce it like "DAT-ah" but apparently I am wrong on that one as well. For the record I pronounce it "DAY-ta"<<

I'm a North Central American English speaker and I say "ahnt" [ã:ʔ] and "DA-duh" [dɛəɾə].
Travis   Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:28 am GMT
And not really that far from Fargo, here in Milwaukee we have [ˈɛ̞̃ʔ(t)]~[ˈẽ̯̆æ̃̆ʔ(t)] and [ˈdeɾ̥ə(ː)]~[ˈde(j)ə(ː)] respectively...
l   Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
I thought you said your accent was very far away from Fargo.
Travis   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
I was speaking in terms of physical distance there, not linguistic distance
Travis   Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:22 pm GMT
(And really the linguistic distance is not *that* great - it is just larger than one might expect.)
wisc   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:37 am GMT
People from the state of Wisconsin sound the most like Canadians than any other state in the US.
TaylorS   Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 am GMT
<<People from the state of Wisconsin sound the most like Canadians than any other state in the US. >>

Many of us from states on the US-Canada border are often said to sound Canadian, mostly because we have the Canadian raising "Oot and aboot the hoose!!!" of /au/ and /ai/ to /əu/ and /əi/ before unvoiced consonants.