Why German is not popular here?

PARISIEN   Sat May 09, 2009 8:22 am GMT
<< German is slipping in east and central Europe as a lingua franca. When I went to places like Poland and Hungary in the mid-90s, German was by far the most useful language for getting around if you didn't know the native tongue. But a lot of ground has been lost to English over the last 10 years. >>

-- Das stimmt leider. Weil früher galten in Polen DDR-Burger als die (relativ) geldreichsten ausländischen Besucher. Das ist nun vorbei.
schrumfs   Sat May 09, 2009 11:08 am GMT
German i ugly. Period. That's why people don't study it. It's useless too. I think German and Russian are teh ugliest languages
julien   Sat May 09, 2009 5:55 pm GMT
moi j'aime bien l'allemand.
Ruud   Sat May 09, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
Ik ook!
fraz   Sat May 09, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
Deutsch ist eine schoene sprach und hoert sich mir immer heiter an.
schwul   Sat May 09, 2009 7:36 pm GMT
Ich moechte einen sehr langen Schwanz licken
allagasher   Sun May 10, 2009 5:20 am GMT
I think part of the problem is that German is really tough to learn. In fact, some folks say it's like English on steroids.
rep   Sun May 10, 2009 11:21 am GMT
<<Unlike French, Spanish, and Portuguese, German is only spoken in Europe...and Europe is irrelevant.>>
You are wrong. German is spoken in Southwest Africa,Brazil,USA,Canada,Russia,Paraguay,Chile,Argentina.
gretesse   Sun May 10, 2009 1:09 pm GMT
-You are wrong. German is spoken in Southwest Africa,Brazil,USA,Canada,Russia,Paraguay,Chile,Argentina.

sure!! We all believe that! Maybe it's spoken on the moon too
Watch the Teaser   Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm GMT
missileer   Sun May 10, 2009 3:57 pm GMT
<<-You are wrong. German is spoken in Southwest Africa,Brazil,USA,Canada,Russia,Paraguay,Chile,Argentina.

sure!! We all believe that! Maybe it's spoken on the moon too >>

Wherever German tourists go, German is presumably spoken. I assume German is skoken pretty much across the globe these days.
fraz   Sun May 10, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
German still lingers on in South West Africa as the Germans used to have a colony here. You will also find lots of German speakers in the Americas due to emigration. One look at typical American surnames tells you that German was once a major language of the USA.

But German's stronhold is Central and East Europe. For that reason alone it's worth learning.
888   Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 pm GMT
>>One look at typical American surnames tells you that German was once a major language of the USA.

Is that the reason they are dumb and racist nowadays? Is it because of German apport too? I don't think you have to be proud of it, I mean if it is so I'd shut up
Skippy   Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
<<Is that the reason they are dumb and racist nowadays? Is it because of German apport too? I don't think you have to be proud of it, I mean if it is so I'd shut up >>

You're an idiot.

It's true there are areas of Pennsylvania (Low Saxon, essentially), Texas (probably based on whatever dialect was prevalent in the mid 19th century), and the northern United States.
rep   Sun May 10, 2009 5:16 pm GMT
<<Is that the reason they are dumb and racist nowadays? Is it because of German apport too? I don't think you have to be proud of it, I mean if it is so I'd shut up >>
You are wrong.Forget your superstitions and listen to beautiful German language once more:
Xavier Naidoo-Zeilen aus Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lNWIHLrak
Xavier Naidoo/Sabrina Setlur-Freisein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvsq-pIK1s&feature=related
Xavier Naidoo - Nicht von dieser Welt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcFEkYdr12I&feature=related