villages of France

guest guest   Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 am GMT
" Quintessential France these days would look like a village in Algeria. "

No surprise, Algerian architecture had a lot of french influence from 19th century to 1962. Algiers has a lot of french achitecture.
blanc   Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am GMT
<<No surprise, Algerian architecture had a lot of french influence from 19th century to 1962. Algiers has a lot of french achitecture. >>

True, although I actually had in mind the colour of the people inhabiting the architecture.
Lydia   Mon May 18, 2009 1:18 pm GMT
blanc Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am GMT
True, although I actually had in mind the colour of the people inhabiting the architecture.

And what ? yes, here in France, we are not racist like you! We're prood of our diversity, thanks to algerians immigration we had Zinedine Zidane who won the Football world tournament in 1998. Yes, thanks to all french with north africans and west africans origins, they're all french, and they're great and nice peoples.
Guest   Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 pm GMT
<<We're prood of our diversity>>

In the French football team there is not such diversity, they are all blacks.
Lydia   Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm GMT
In the French football team there is not such diversity, they are all blacks.

Yes, they're all FRENCH and BLACKS, are you surprised ?
VLF   Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 pm GMT

Parle pour toi, idiote.

Les villages de France sont beaux parce qu'ils ne sont pas encore tiers-mondisés !

Partout où les races inférieures s'installent, tout devient laid et sale. Que ce soit à Marseille, à Birmingham ou à Malmö.
sssss   Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
Partout où les races inférieures s'installent, tout devient laid et sale. Que ce soit à Marseille, à Birmingham ou à Malmö.

Va chier Idiot!
Lydia   Mon May 18, 2009 2:12 pm GMT
VLF Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 pm GMT

Parle pour toi, idiote.

C'est toi l'idiote, va rejoindre ton site de skinhead. A cause de folle comme toi le monde entier croit que la France est remplie de raciste.
VLF   Mon May 18, 2009 2:25 pm GMT
<< va rejoindre ton site de skinhead. A cause de folle comme toi le monde entier croit que la France est remplie de raciste >>

Bonjour l'orthographe!
Pratiquement une faute d'accord par substantif.

Avant d'immigrer en France, quelle langue apprenais-tu à l'école ?
Lydia   Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 pm GMT
Avant d'immigrer en France, quelle langue apprenais-tu à l'école ?

Le français, je suis née en France, débile. T'arrives pas à te faire à l'idée que des français de "souche" puissent défendre et apprécier des français d'origine étrangère ou quoi ? :)
Tout le monde n'est pas une grande folle raciste comme toi. Il y a aussi des gens intelligents en France, tu sais.
Hippothalamus   Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 pm GMT
>>Il y a aussi des gens intelligents en France, tu sais.

Yes, but you aren't among them.
HIppothalamus=idiot   Mon May 18, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
Hippothalamus

shut up! You are the most stupid guy at this forum. All your posts are brainless, racist and insulting. Shame on you imbecil!
guest guest   Mon May 18, 2009 8:10 pm GMT
Well, to come back to the topic, and to avoid racists discussions, I find this
that resume well the subject.

http://www.cijoint.fr/cj200905/cijHvWqbFS.jpg

concerning the french vernacular architecture, the more obvious and visible variation in aspects concerns mainly the roofs: we can distinguish mainly three kind of rooftops in french villages:

- The slate roofs (blue on the map): found mainly in North-west and loire Valley (but also in Paris city), and in moutains (parts of pyrenees, Alps, Limousin), and aslo in Ardennes near Belgian border.
(slate roofs are found in other regions mainly for official or aristocratic buildings, but not for common housing.)

- The flat clay roofs (in brown): found mainly in central-north regions (Ile-de-France, Burgondy, Centre...) but also in some part of the south such as Dordogne. These roofs have a brown color, and, like the slate roofs they have a strong angle (45° or more) which give them a more "northern aspect".

- The "tuile canal", or "roman tile" (in orange), is more widely spread in many different regions (Vendée, Poitou-charentes, Aquitaine, Midi-pyrénés, Languedoc, Provence, Rhone-Alpes, Corsica, Auvergne, parts of Limousin, and even parts of Lorraine). Derived from the roman roofs, they have a low angle (less than 30°), and show a tipically reddish color than can vary withing the different regions. This is what most people would associate with a southern European kind of architecture, because they are widely spread in Spain, Portugal, Italy, parts of balkans and Greece.
Leasnam   Mon May 18, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
Very nice, guest guest, Thank you. I enjoyed this illustration.

In the foregoing photos, I was looking for the Blue Slate Rooves on white buildings, typical (in my mind) of what constitutes the quintessential French look.

Now I've found it! :-)
eeuuian   Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 pm GMT
I guess all this means that to the outsider, buildings in Northwest France look the most "quintessentially French".

Interesting thread, BTW