Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Russo   Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm GMT
Hello everyone. I'm Russian and I'm going to Brazil in a month. I would like to learn a little Portuguese to be able to communicate on a basic level, but I don't know where to start. Is there a good website where I can learn all the elementary stuff? I know some Spanish and French...
I would also appreciate recommendations for a book.
user   Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
you can speak Spanish all the time, there won't be any problems.
p   Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 am GMT
Or just pronounce your Spanish like Portuguese, and in many cases it will be Portuguese.
Kess   Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm GMT
Hello everyone. I'm Russian and I'm going to Brazil in a month. I would like to learn a little Portuguese to be able to communicate on a basic level, but I don't know where to start. Is there a good website where I can learn all the elementary stuff? I know some Spanish and French...
I would also appreciate recommendations for a book.

//try here
http://www.sonia-portuguese.com/
Aszykbajew   Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:30 pm GMT
to Russo:

You can pronounce Spanish with your own accent but with a few exceptions:

The nasalised ao sounds like Polish nasal vowel a with ogonek.

A nasal e can be pronounced like Polish e with ogonek.

Any s in a final word position of a phrase/sentence or any s beside p, t, k can be pronounced like Polish sz or your Russian hard sh.

All unstressed o must sound like u, like in Bulgarian, except that you re close to whispering it and pronouncing it shorter. These might have been the sound of your jers before they have been completely lost.

Portuguese stressed o will sound like Russian stressed o. Same is true with Portuguese ou.

Portuguese has Russian jery or Polish y. At the end of the words, these are also left out, like the unstressed o. This sound is found by pronouncing unstressed e.

Portuguese l is always dark and hard. In Northern Portugal, l is soft and light when it is beside e or i. But in Lisbon, you can pronounce /li/ as Polish /ly/. Polish l is with a bar, but pronounced like Russian dark l.

The double r in Portuguese or the initial r can sound like your x or Polish ch, but it must come from your uvula instead of your velum.

-----------------

With the accent described, you will sound closer to a guy from Lisbon, but educated Brazilians will understand you.

Brazilan pronunciation is very different. It never leaves out vowels like Spanish, and remarkably unlike its European cousin.

Brazilian l is dark, like Portuguese from Portugal.

The r- or -rr- can be pronounced as h, not like a Russian/Polish ch.

Reduction of vowel o is like Continental Portuguese, but not left out.

All s, t, z, and d are palatized before e and i, but never ends words with sh, remarkably unlike Continental Portuguese.

Nasal vowels have to be nasalized prominently, unlike its European cousin, in which nasalization is not obvious because of all the "dobrsh vulk dbrich bzhpshek mientnik" going on in European Portuguese, making it sound like Bulgarian, Russian or Polish.
Aszykbajew   Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:06 pm GMT
Look at these people expressing strong emotion:

Politicians from Portugal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3buBN67y4&NR=1

Żyrinowski fighting another politician:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGV25M2kpfM&feature=related

Angry Polish Programmer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDjpSoTl--M&NR=1

Bulgarian show with man complaining:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBWEcaQwAps

These guys sound remarkably similar...
Kaeops   Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
I don't agree that Brazilian L's are dark (back), they may not be as light/front as the Spanish ones, but they are definitely not back (dark), they are pronounced in the central region, as in Italian, in syllable end positions they are vocalized: Brazil [bra.'ziu], and remain semi-consonantal [w] only before rounded vowels: multa ['muw.ta], solto ['sow.tu], voltar [vow.'ta(h)]. (Otherwise they're vowels [i]: Brasil [bra.'ziu], selva ['sEu.va]
Vocalized L are not consonantal in liasons: Raul e eu [hauw.i'eu].

álcool ['au.ku]
calda / cauda ['kau.da]
mal / mau [mau]
Kaeops   Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
I don't agree that Brazilian L's are dark (back), they may not be as light/front as the Spanish ones, but they are definitely not back (dark), they are pronounced in the central region, as in Italian, in syllable end positions they are vocalized: Brazil [bra.'ziu], and remain semi-consonantal [w] only before rounded vowels: multa ['muw.ta], solto ['sow.tu], voltar [vow.'ta(h)]. (Otherwise it's the vowel [u]: Brasil [bra.'ziu], selva ['sEu.va]
Vocalized L are not consonantal in liasons: Raul e eu [hauw.i'eu].

álcool ['au.ku]
calda / cauda ['kau.da]
mal / mau [mau]
etc.   Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 am GMT
"I would like to learn a little Portuguese to be able to communicate on a basic level, but I don't know where to start."

it is obvious that here is not the right place to start. With all the nonsense going around.
Aszykbajew   Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 am GMT
"I would like to learn a little Portuguese to be able to communicate on a basic level, but I don't know where to start."

This is not the right place to start due to the question being asked, which is more about the phonology. You might have wanted grammar, which is out of this topic's scope.
OZ   Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:41 am GMT
Russian sounds like European Portuguese, instead of Brazilian Portuguese.
Aszykbajew   Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:54 am GMT
These guys from Portugal pronounce Bravo Nico as "bravnik". If given the audio, it can be mistaken for an obscure Slavic language.
Kaeops   Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:16 am GMT
These guys from Portugal pronounce Bravo Nico as "bravnik". If given the audio, it can be mistaken for an obscure Slavic language.
//
yup, and for example, normal pronunciation of the word EXCELENTE:

shlent in Portugal (one syllable)
eh-seh-len-thi in Brazil (four syllables)
Aszykbajew   Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 am GMT
http://www.languagehat.com/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=2723

Ze's comments have anecdotal experience. He drove cab in Munich and he let a couple ride. He tried guessing the language, and he is usually correct...but not on that ride.

He guessed that the passengers were speaking Polish, Russian or Albanian. Only after 15 mins. did he find out that they were speaking Portuguese!

He also could have guessed Bulgarian due to the same vowel reduction. Polish was also reasonable due to the intonation and the hard "sh" sounds present. Russian is quite a reasonable guess due to the dark l present and both of them have many reduced vowels ending with a schwa-like sound.
He probably guessed Albanian due to the trilled r sound and the consonant-friendly system found in most Eastern European languages, all of them but Hungarian.
Aszykbajew   Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am GMT
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1146528&page=2

On the bottommost part of forum, Galicians understand Northern Portuguese but mistake the speech of Lisbon for Russian, like most Spaniards and Italians.

Probably these guys from Lisbon speak with Borat's accent, just like what most Western Europeans joke about Bulgarians, Poles and Russians.

Probably the new ethnic slur for many Portuguese is Borat, lumping them together with the Poles, Russians, Bulgarians and Romanians(this might be less offensive, the rest can be more offensive).