Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Aszykbajew   Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 pm GMT
to American:

What you talked about are dialects of the same language.

What was being talked about is Russian sounding like Portuguese, and I confirmed it through a Portuguese speaker and several clips.

Even after many listens, Portuguese from Portugal (Lisbonian to many Southern dialects) does sound very much like Slavic.

An American, and even many Western European folks tend to hear Portuguese as either a modified version of Polish, lazy Russian or drunken Bulgarian. It often comes off as "dobrsh vulk dbrich bzhpshek mientnik" to untrained ears.
Português   Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:20 am GMT
Portuguese sounds like something between Russian and Polish. Perhaps Belarusan or Ukrainian would be the closest one.
the world is full   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:11 pm GMT
of idiots! Only ignorants (tabulla rassa) could associate Portuguese with Russian, They are both nice /beautiful languages but they don't have anything in common. Unbelievable how some people could waste their time and energy....

No, I'm not Portuguese, neither Russian but I couldn't stand these absurd /nonsense discussion. You guys, you are really in trouble! You are semi-analphabets/illiterate. Only so you could make such confusions!
39848   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 pm GMT
They do have things in common. For one thing, they are genetically related languages (ok, only distantly), but they also have evolved a similar sounding phonology and prosody.
geneticaly   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:28 pm GMT
realted languages /similar phonology have all indo-european languages. By having known that, this wast of time wouldn't happened!
Opel   Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 pm GMT
<<of idiots! Only ignorants (tabulla rassa) could associate Portuguese with Russian, They are both nice /beautiful languages but they don't have anything in common. Unbelievable how some people could waste their time and energy....

No, I'm not Portuguese, neither Russian but I couldn't stand these absurd /nonsense discussion. You guys, you are really in trouble! You are semi-analphabets/illiterate. Only so you could make such confusions! >>

You're the idiot for misinterpreting this thread. Obviously if you are acquainted with either of these languages you will not mix them up. This thread is SUPPOSED to be about what "ignorants" think when hearing Portuguese and Russian.
Most people are not actually acquainted with these languages so the question is completely sensible, and one is not an "ignorant" if they don't know anything about them. I could ask you if you think Hindi and Pashto sound the same, and it would be a similar situation.
3894782   Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 am GMT
It's mostly that most people do not think that Portuguese sounds like any other major Romance language. No-one would say that Portuguese sounds like Spanish or Italian. It does, strangely enough, sound like a Slavic language.
Leslie   Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:39 am GMT
Continental Portuguese sounds like Catalan spoken with a Russian accent.
safety pin   Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:19 pm GMT
i think in some way, european portuguese sounds like french.
3894782   Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:43 pm GMT
I agree, but I think it more like a Slavic language.
user   Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:21 pm GMT
I agree, but I think it more like a Slavic language.

that's why it's so exotic and beautiful
Hathinta   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:18 am GMT
Portuguese definitely sounds like Russian/Polish.
Paul   Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 am GMT
<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHBYXxowc4 >>

OMG! WTF!?

The spoken variety of portuguese never ceases to amaze me...it has to be the language with the most bizarre accent variation.
Aszykbajew   Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:14 am GMT
How does this Portuguese girl named Catia sound like when she reads a book in Polish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_0sSC1Q-Q&feature=channel_page

The accent is very Slavic, though I would think she has some kind of Russian accent due to her really dark l, though her d, n, and t sounds very close to Polish.

Probably she could at least differentiate light l from her native dark l.

Elizacja...she had a very dark l when a Russian and Pole would pronounce this as a light, slightly palatized l.

działanoście państwa...the slashed/dark l has a rather exaggerated w when it can sound like her dark l.
blanc   Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:38 am GMT
<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHBYXxowc4 >>

Holy cow, that sounds like Korean!