Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Guest   Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
Also Brazilians can say that they understand Spanish and Italian. Yes they might understand the simple stuff like Como te llamas, Como estas etc. But bring them to Spain or Italy.

Why should they understand Castilian Spanish? Brazilians are exposed to American Spanish.
raquel   Thu May 28, 2009 8:59 pm GMT
Guest, I so agree with you. Anyone in Brasil who doesn't understand continental portuguese it's because he/she hasn't been exposed to the accent long enough.
My husband is brazilian, i've never been to Brazil (but I want to!!!) but I speak to his family members and friends on the phone and all of them understand me perfectly (I am portuguese). Even his 92 years old grand grand mother.

By the way, in Spain I'm been mistaken for a russian girl, because of my continental portuguese accent! I had no idea it sounded like russian or other slavic language. For me it sounds very different, but of course i'm portuguese. Nuestros hermanos, you should at least be able to understand when someone is portuguese :(
I knew a spanish gourgeous guy who was into learning some portuguese.. he sounded so cute pronouncing the v's like whe portuguese do.. i'd like to see more spanish people learning some portuguese :)
Kaeops   Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am GMT
-he sounded so cute pronouncing the v's like whe portuguese do..-

1. In Northern Portugal (Oporto, Braga, Matozinhos) people still mix b's and v's

2. In Central Portugal (Lisboa) people used softened intervocal and even postvocal b's [β] which can sound like [w] to Brazilian ear, so for them many Portuguese pronounce Lisboa [lizboa; in Brazil] as [liZwoe] (Líjwoê)...

My friend was in the cinema watching a Portuguese-German movie, and at that time Portuguese parts were not subtitled, and most of the 1st part of the movie was in Cont. Portuguese, people started leaving the movie theater, saying: I'm not required to understand German, LOL that was so funny...

I like listening to music in CapeVerdean creole, a Brazilian friend of mine asked me whether it was Continental Portuguese, because she couldn't understand a bit RS
Guest   Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am GMT
Nuestros hermanos, you should at least be able to understand when someone is portuguese :(

Las mujeres portuguesas resultan fáciles de identificar , son las que se dejan bigote.
Reply   Fri May 29, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
Las mujeres portuguesas resultan fáciles de identificar , son las que se dejan bigote.

Idiot. In Spanish speaking countries, not portuguese, it was , that woman having a bigote was accepted. Like the
Frida Kahlo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo. The british have but do not accept like people from many other countries around the world http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/nov/02/gender.features
Nuestros hermanos, you should at least be able to understand when someone is an full idiot with posts like the above, trying to pretend being a spanish speaker. Go and wax your fuzzi tong.
raquel   Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
Kaeops you're so right people from the north of Portugal pronounce the v's like b's but still the great majority of the population pronouces like v, while in spain it's only a b.

I find it very hard to believe that portuguese people wouldn't understand a portuguese movie... it is nonsense to me. Who wouldn't understand its own language? There are some regional accents of portuguese that I find a bit hard to understand, but still I can understand like 90% of it. The most widely spread form of continental portuguese in the media is the lisbon accent (which is not the most correct), and I sincerely doubt that a Portuguese person would not understand it.

Brazilians do not understand continental portuguese because they are not exposed to it. In the seventies, when the first brazilian soap opera, "Gabriela" was broadcasted in Portugal, people had never been exposed to brazilian accent, and it was only after many episodes that people managed to understand it completely. I'd say portuguese people are exposed to brazilian accent from a very young age, that's why we find it so easy to understand.
Guest   Fri May 29, 2009 10:49 pm GMT
"Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?"

Portuguese sounds like Russian
pocahontas   Sat May 30, 2009 1:25 am GMT
Portuguese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-jpH2t5Lc

Russian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVwvOl1P3Rk

German:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4664Iine4

They all sound good, and you can really hear the differences between them :P
moi   Sat May 30, 2009 10:04 am GMT
In my opinion, only the people who don't know the two languages can say a thing like that. I can speak both European Portuguese and Russian and they are definitely different. They just share some common sounds like the L, Schwa and some clusters. Even the intonation is completely alien.
minn   Sat May 30, 2009 2:02 pm GMT
Of course they're different. It's just that thw sound system of the rwo have a few similarities.
Ana   Sat May 30, 2009 9:07 pm GMT
<<<<<<<Having a passport from a country =/= understanding its language. You know why they get the passport? To get out of Brazil and live a better life in Europe. Any passport from countries part of the EU is very valuable for these people because once you get it you can go to any EU country without any hassle. >>>>

Hahahaha

To live better?

Indeed it is to earn money! All Brazilians who are abroad, agree that the best place to live in the world its Brazil. However, the country has a poor income distribution, and therefore only 50% of the population live well!

So there are 1 million Brazilians in Europe and another 2 million in the rest of the world. Simples!
John   Sun May 31, 2009 5:32 pm GMT
All Brazilians who are abroad, agree that the best place to live in the world its Brazil. However, the country has a poor income distribution, and

Once again Ana your opinions are ridiculous and senseless:
Most people think that their own country is the nicest and the best place to live in...You're right, Brazil has got spectacular natural scenarios but what about history, art, architecture?? Can you compare Brazil with India, Egypt, Italy, France or even Mexico? Please shut up you're so annoying
Guest   Sun May 31, 2009 6:24 pm GMT
Well Ana, my uncle lived in Brazil for many years (at least 15). He lived in Guarapari and he told me that the situation in Brazil is pretty terrible. There's a lot of violence, poverty and the gap between the poor and rich is immense. To me any rich person that needs to enclose their home with a fence and place security cameras around it and reinforce their car to be bullet proof, is not a country I want to live in. Yeah there are nice beaches and biodiversity in Brazil but that's only good for tourists. It won't help the natives get food on their plates and pay their bills.
Português   Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:57 am GMT
To answer the original post:

Yes. Portuguese, especially the European accents, sounds like Russian, or "Slavic" in general.
Mini Cooper   Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm GMT
''Yeah there are nice beaches and biodiversity in Brazil but that's only good for tourists.''

Brazil is not so good for tourists. Most travel agencies in Brazil advise foreign tourists to leave they cameras in the safe of the hotel: carrying expensive digital cameras on streets of Brazilian cities is just looking for trouble...So, Brazil is a tourist heaven: just don't look like tourists and don't use your cameras, ipods or watches on streets, leave them in the safe.
Government just don't care about poor people in the slums...If I were in their situation, I would do the same: rob rich tourists to feed myself and my family.